Rolling Thunder Forums

beginner nation

Greybeard

Ok okay Greybeard dont listen to this bunch of humourless dictators - They do not see the greatness of the Sponge, all they see is the many defeats i have suffered at the hands of double crossers, back stabbers, gangs of thugs and cross dressing sausage eating germans.

Anyway, these defeats have me in a unique position of maybe playing the most nations in the shortest space of time so here is my list

Denmark - The perfect country, its Mine :woohoo: keep out

Iceland - not enough money, boring for 15 turns but will allow you to practice a few things before getting stuck in

USA - too far away, great to get in the fight 1 on 1 and learn against canada but also good if Canada can be your ally, it then turns into another Iceland.

GB - A bit like Iceland but allows you to get some action early and offers some protection against predators, just dont get invaded or your toast

Ireland - Same as GB but easier to evict invaders.

Lowlands - Good for full on war, early death for a noob

Germany - Your Toast forget it, even experienced players get fried

Tunisia - Nearly as good as Denmark, pick a neighbour as a TA and trounce the other

Trans Jordan - Not sure anout this one as I got fed to the enemy by double crossing scoundrals

Norway - Too long, its like playing 3 seperate nations but good if you can TA with Sweden

Portugal - Along the same lines as Denmark, just take out spain and you in for the long haul

Finally some advice - Never believe all that you are told about the Sponge, you have a choice, join the sponge and have an ally for life, join the others and find out what pain is really about.

BTW there is a $10 price on the head of the Monk. I dont know if he is signed up for 84 but if he is dont trust him or any of his allies. They use noobs as canon fodder.

Any of my other perminant enemys are okay if you choose them, they have honor, monk does not.

Spongy that is not fair. I have never betray you. You killed your troops by your own. I never used noobs for canon fodder. I made myself canon fodder for HP in vic 78. Stop tell these bad stories.

Come on Spongy be a good one and tell the truth.

I only planed your death in 78, but there I was not your TA.

I do not think you like to continue on this level.

The MONK :(

Guest Spongebob

Ok :( I'm Sorry :woohoo:

I wont mention that you use noobs against others as a buffer so that you dont get your ass whupped

I wont mention that you sold me out and down the river by getting your allies to abandon me

I wont mention that you are a master of the double cross

I wont mention that you wear womens underwear while filling in your orders for Victory and finally....

I wont mention that all your crimes will come back to haunt you :unsure:

Ok :( I'm Sorry :woohoo:

I wont mention that you use noobs against others as a buffer so that you dont get your ass whupped

I wont mention that you sold me out and down the river by getting your allies to abandon me

I wont mention that you wear womens underwear while filling in your orders for Victory and finally....

I wont mention that all your crimes will come back to haunt you :unsure:

..... I think your are your own biggest problem.

Well for now I am on a hot beach at France.

After that I will think what country to pick up.

No rush here, need to re-read the rules etc.

Thanks for all the advice

Greybeard :cheers:

Get into the next game[84]. There's still a few positions left, and you might actually get one you can play! There's nothing like total immersion to give you an appreciation for how simple, yet devious, this game truly is. That'll also give you a better feel for picking your 'start nations' with an early entry in the next one.

Everyone gets hammered the 1st time out; that's when the addiction sets in! Enjoy the beach! :beer:

Ok :huh: I'm Sorry <_<

I wont mention that all your crimes will come back to haunt you :P

And we won't mention that you dropped after losing one battle, or that you sealed your own fate by putting an army in your retreat location :beer: Your TA's actually did a much better job running Trans-Jordan after you dropped, and I'm still digging through Monk's layers of concrete.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Reading the message forum can be fun :nuke:

Anyway, looking forward for game 85 to start.

:ranting:

Entertaining, but I think the topic was what country is a good choice for a beginner.

Island nations and North America probably aren't good choices. They require a lot of Navy as the game progresses and Navy uses a lot of orders and money. Ships are fun to play with and I'm sure you would enjoy that aspect of the game too, but you probably wouldn't want to place yourself in the position of depending on Navy for your survival right away. There are a lot of complicated things you can do with ships that are very useful in certain situations, so you do want to learn how to use Navy...... eventually. Unless you are Switzerland or Hungary you will get the opportunity to build some ships and run them around the block a couple times if the notion moves you anyway. :P

Very small countries like Portugal, Tunisia, Lowlands, Switzerland, etc. are defensively dangerous nations. One mistake can mean the game. They tend to get blown out early on also because they are highly concentrated in terms of resources, labor, industries, and stockpiles. This makes them very tempting prizes.

Conversely, very large countries can also be less than favorable as first time countries because they place such a large premium on efficient logistics. If you ever play one of the Russias you will become a pro at logistics. On the good side, you have enormous defensive depth.

Some countries are restricted in their opening game options like Portugal. Portugal basically must attack Spain. Spain knows this and has superior growth potential and defensive depth. If France is your ally this is made more attractive. Ireland and England, well, they pretty much always go to war. Canada and USA ditto. Not always true, but mostly true. Think about it before you choose a country with limited options though, especially if you don't have allies nearby.

I think the best countries for beginners are medium sized countries without too many borders. Germany is great except that it has more bordering nations than any other in the game. That's why Germany generally gets torched. France is a little better. Poland is better still. Rumania, Italy, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia are probably all good picks. Look for countries that have resources and enough space to grow or use as defensive depth if necessary.

If you really like logistics try one of the Russia's.

Race Pilsner

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for all the advice.

My setup is already in Russ his hands so I still might end up with the Lowlands or Iceland :beer: ( not my first choice of course)

Just have to wait and see! :angry2:

let us know how you battle your way into oblivion...

this might help ya out ... and have a para galore party :python:

but do be carefull the transport are a much sought after prize by the enemy

oh and if you do got iceland... think and calculate before you go on a rampage buying ships...

and know that although a Battleships sounds cool... it is just a money sink..

yep coastal bombardements are effective... no your ships will not return to port..

now subs seem to make a comback into the game .. atleast in vic 80 :beer:

paradrop calculator

• 4 weeks later...
We will see.

last time I asked Russ the game was 85% filled.

So just a few more weeks.... :ph34r:

congrats on Yugo....!!!

6 neighbours to keep you busy :drunk:

have fun and keep a close eye on your food and cash. especially cash.. so do not act like a woman and buy ldb like it is champagne.. bismarcks as shoes.. and so on... :ranting: