Rolling Thunder Forums

the Seven Clans of Una

B'tai Hazra

Cycle 8:

The Warq Riidyer was a compromise. Voyager Kilanuman and the exploration ministry had wanted a real scout with cargo capacity but Commodore Evil Claw and the navy had demanded a patrol ship with some offensive capacity. There were not resources enough to please them both. Instead the Warq Riidyer was a compromise between a scout and a patrol destroyer. It had been a heated debate as to what organisation they belonged but it had resulted in one more compromise. During ‘peace time’ the exploration ministry was in charge of them but in ‘times of need’ the navy took over. Neither was happy about it, it was destined to become a problem in the future. Kilanuman and Evil Claw had fought their first battle.

While this problematic political situation still was at its height the raw resources situation neared its climax. A total of 10 000 industrial complexes had now been converted to mines. It looked like the situation was starting to stabilise but it is bound to come back in force in the future.

3 Tyrqa Araan have been completed and will load up the first 69 000 Hraas from the Eleran clan to settle in the Ludica system. This would be the first colony outside the Una system. Clan Elder B’tai Hazra had major plans for colony. It had plenty of gaseous elements and the idea was to build a fuel depot for exploration, colonisation and naval interests.

Brief news:

The Navy recruits – Commodore Evil Claw have announced that a new senior captain has been recruited. With the plans to start building warships more captains will be needed the coming cycles. Voyager Kilanuman have been heard stating that it isn’t naval officers that must be recruited. More talented explorers must be found to continue the expansion.

Moon named Eleran – The captain of the 102nd Recon Group, Tyyr Elraan, reported earlier today that his fleet had completed the survey of the moon in Ludica. In a small ritual he named the moon Eleran after the clan bound to settle there. About the moon he said, ‘This is paradise. While it might lack some critical resources it has the best climate I’ve ever seen.’

Kaish Neer – The exploration team led by Voyager Kilanuman at Kaish Neer discovered an alien laboratory yesterday. It seems to have been devoted to military research and the team has found several prototype tanks. These will be brought back to the research centres at Dhalad Hur.

Comments cycle 8:

Orders used: 40

Completed technologies: Improved Refined Crystals

New ships: 1 Subaan-Raat, 3 Tyrqa Araan

Claimed systems: None

There is not much to say this cycle. While I wait for my new explorers to be built my old pathfinders keep on exploring those planets I’ve already found. This cycle I had two technological finds. I actually did manage to do everything I needed with only 40 orders…

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cycle 8:

The Warq Riidyer was a compromise. Voyager Kilanuman and the exploration ministry had wanted a real scout with cargo capacity but Commodore Evil Claw and the navy had demanded a patrol ship with some offensive capacity. There were not resources enough to please them both. Instead the Warq Riidyer was a compromise between a scout and a patrol destroyer. It had been a heated debate as to what organisation they belonged but it had resulted in one more compromise. During ‘peace time’ the exploration ministry was in charge of them but in ‘times of need’ the navy took over. Neither was happy about it, it was destined to become a problem in the future. Kilanuman and Evil Claw had fought their first battle.

While this problematic political situation still was at its height the raw resources situation neared its climax. A total of 10 000 industrial complexes had now been converted to mines. It looked like the situation was starting to stabilise but it is bound to come back in force in the future.

3 Tyrqa Araan have been completed and will load up the first 69 000 Hraas from the Eleran clan to settle in the Ludica system. This would be the first colony outside the Una system. Clan Elder B’tai Hazra had major plans for colony. It had plenty of gaseous elements and the idea was to build a fuel depot for exploration, colonisation and naval interests.

Brief news:

The Navy recruits – Commodore Evil Claw have announced that a new senior captain has been recruited. With the plans to start building warships more captains will be needed the coming cycles. Voyager Kilanuman have been heard stating that it isn’t naval officers that must be recruited. More talented explorers must be found to continue the expansion.

Moon named Eleran – The captain of the 102nd Recon Group, Tyyr Elraan, reported earlier today that his fleet had completed the survey of the moon in Ludica. In a small ritual he named the moon Eleran after the clan bound to settle there. About the moon he said, ‘This is paradise. While it might lack some critical resources it has the best climate I’ve ever seen.’

Kaish Neer – The exploration team led by Voyager Kilanuman at Kaish Neer discovered an alien laboratory yesterday. It seems to have been devoted to military research and the team has found several prototype tanks. These will be brought back to the research centres at Dhalad Hur.

Comments cycle 8:

Orders used: 40

Completed technologies: Improved Refined Crystals

New ships: 1 Subaan-Raat, 3 Tyrqa Araan

There is not much to say this cycle. While I wait for my new explorers to be built my old pathfinders keep on exploring those planets I’ve already found. This cycle I had two technological finds. I actually did manage to do everything I needed with only 40 orders…

Well done and thanks for the interesting read. You will soon find 80 orders becomes a minimum. And then.....well, you can probably guess.

Octus

I really like the way you take the subtle and sometimes mundane aspects of our turn results and build your story around that. Stuff like promotions, character recruitment, exploration finds, etc.

Very nice. Thanks.

I remember when I wrote this. There really wasn't much happening (which you can see in the lack of comments). Everything was running as 'planned' and I really had to find things in the results to write about. But I believe there are some good updates coming soon when their past is starting to reveal itself... :wub:

You will soon find 80 orders becomes a minimum. And then.....well, you can probably guess.

Octus

True, I remember the day when I said, '30 orders is more than enough' (yes, I remember the days when you got 30 orders per turn sheet, not 40)

then,

'I'll try to stick to 30 orders'

then,

'I can't imagine using all 80 orders'

then,

'well at least I'm not using 120'

then,

'really, 160 is more than enough'

then,

'I know I said only 160, but I really need that extra convoy route....'

then,

well, you get the point. :wub:

then,

Ouch... :wub: If it keeps on like that I'll need to find a better job... :wub:

then,

Ouch... :wub: If it keeps on like that I'll need to find a better job... :wub:

It depends on what you do in the game. I run most of my empires on 80 orders or less. Sometimes (convoy route, or long explore-route to follow) it can get to 120.

But if you explore like crazy with hundreds of explorers, you can burn way over 160 orders :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Cycle 9:

B’tai Hazra woke up with a gasp. His hearts pounded madly in his chest. Always the same nightmare, repeating itself but feeling really horrible each time. He did not have it every night but lately it had come more and more often. He rose from the warm blanket on the cave floor. Shaking his head to remove the last grogginess. The tiny light source at the roof was enough for him too see everything clearly in the large sleeping room.

He had no problems remembering the nightmare. It was always the same. The dream always started at a space station above Dhalad Hur. The Hraas had finally reached the space age and started to send scouts to other planets in the Una system. It had taken them a long time to reach this mature state of peace and prosperity. But they had risen above all problems, all hatred and all that stuff. This was the good part of the dream.

One day all contact was lost with one of the scout ships exploring a warp point. Huge telescopes at the space station was pointed at the warp point and showed an enormous fleet of starships that had entered the system. And they were coming towards Dhalad Hur faster than any of the Hraas could have imagined. Many attempts to contact them were initiated but no replies. When they came closer to the space station they didn’t hesitate. They just fired their cannons and destroyed everything.

The rest of the dream consisted of the Hraas fighting a futile battle to defend Dhalad Hur against an invader that controlled the skies. Weapons of mass destruction were used to eliminate whole clans. This was when he woke up. And he was happy for that. He didn’t want to see the end.

His role was to make the Hraas escape this fate. He knew of only one way to do it.

Brief news:

Hraas clothing found – The 106th Recon Group, operating in the Sasonii system, have made a fantastic discovery. While investigating an ancient alien laboratory they found a large amount of textiles. The textiles resemble traditional Hraas clothing both in style and size. Have the Hraas been in space before? Was this before the tunnel war?

Eleran – The captain of the 102nd Recon Group, Tyyr Elraan, is rising fast in the Clans Hierarchy. His explorations of Eleran have made large progress the last cycle. Rumours indicate that he have been promoted to scout by the exploration ministry.

Kaish Neer – Kaish Neer is becoming more and more important to the Clans economy. The last convoy from the new home of the Kaish Neer clan brought a total of 250 000 tonnes of resources to the factories at Dhalad Hur. The convoy administration indicates that this will rise rapidly the coming cycles.

Comments cycle 9:

Orders used: 57

Completed technologies: Improved Synthetic Materials, 2nd Generation Civil Engineering, 2nd Generation Planetary Science

New ships: 5 Warq Riidyers mkII, 1 Subaan-Raat

A really good cycle. The first non-slot-1 research projects are starting to be completed (I guess some of you veterans can draw some conclusions about my race from this) and 5 Warq Riidyers is completed. And as a bonus I got my second explorer guy to go with them. The Clans haven’t had much luck with their characters. They received their 9th one this cycle and my guess is that this is a fairly bad result. But he came at the right moment…

Anyway, soon we should see some more systems added to the ‘claimed systems’ list.

• 2 weeks later...

Cycle 10:

It was not easy. Hearing all the news and rumours about the ministry he built from scratch. All the stuff he had been talking about was finally starting to become available to the Clans. Shai-Elerist, Academician on the run, had a bad grudge against B’tai Hazra and the dominating Dhalad Hur clan. He had defected to the Eleran clan and was boarding a Warq Riidyer disguised as a navigator. The first plan, to leave as a colonist on the first colony ships to the moon Eleran in Ludica had failed. Security had been too tight. Instead he had arranged to board one of the new Warq Riidyers which would pass Ludica on its path to the frontier. A ‘navigation problem’ would make sure that the ships passed the moon Eleran. His new home.

Voyager Kilanuman also had a grudge against B’tai Hazra. He still waited for his promotion. Kilanuman firmly believed that he was the second in command after B’tai Hazra. Why wasn’t he promoted? His ministry had found two ideal worlds for colonisation and several more with the right atmosphere. His exploration vessels had dug up more ruins than he could count to and found indications that the Hraas had been space farers before. And not to mention all the other juicy stuff they had found. Perhaps now that he had taken personal command of the 1st Warp Point Group with the purpose of surveying the warp points in Vimond things would change?

Commodore Evil Claw smiled evilly just by the thought of it. Kilanuman thought he had won the argument. His exploration ministry had control of the new Warq Riidyers. Evil Claw started to laugh, it was just so good! Let them think they controlled the situation. He had given all the captains special instructions; very special instructions. If everything went as planned his navy would be the most prioritised ministry and he would be rising in power. Perhaps he would even remove B’tai Hazra and become the new Clan Elder himself. He needed to think more about this, did he want to rule officially or from the back stage? It would sure be nice if B’tai Hazra could take all the blows while he could take all the rewards.

Life had been good for General Darken Rahl since he took command of the Home Guard. Several promotions, wealth and unrivalled personal power now that he had the Clans largest army backing his every word! Although he knew he was the second in command after B’tai Hazra he felt a little worried. The army was not prioritized while the fleet gained all the supplies they could ever dream of. Sure, that was good in the short term, but who would they come to if the other clans rebelled? Not the navy, that was for sure. Darken Rahl himself guaranteed the safety and loyalty of the Clans. Without him B’tai Hazra would be nothing. It was a good thought. But like many thoughts it was not possible. He knew his limitations. He might be the best Hraas general out there, but he was not the stuff that made great Clan Elders. He was satisfied with his position in the Hraas society.

Clan Elder B’tai Hazra himself knew who to trust and not. As long as Darken Rahl stood strong behind him there was no reason to worry. Distrust and enmity between his highest commanders was good. It kept them sharp and ready and if one or two would fall down it was only a sign that they didn’t have what it takes to be at the top. He knew without doubt that if the Hraas were to survive the coming hardships he needed the best of the best. He wanted the Hraas to write their own destiny.

He wanted to rule the stars…

Comments cycle 10:

Orders used: 80

Completed technologies: Improved Electronics, 2nd Gen Social Science, Medium Thermal Lance, Titanium Composite Armor, 2nd Gen Life Science, 2nd Gen Medical Science

Total # completed technologies: 18

New ships: 1 Tyrqa Araan, 1 Warq Riidyer and 3 Subaan-Raat

Total Fleet tonnage: 5 384 200 tonnes

Total # claimed systems: 7

Total Hraas population: 552 million

The first time I need to use all 80 orders. And I could easily have used at least 2-3 more to finish up some stuff in Ludica. What really ate up orders this time were the new explorer fleets that needed to load up fuel, change ROE, pick up characters from different locations, move to warp points and finally jump to Ludica or Vimond. Next cycle they will eat up a few less orders I hope, but as build new Warq Riidyers they will need to go through the same process as well.

As it is the tenth cycle I wrote a little longer and more detailed update. I’ll try to do the same cycle 20.

Just my 2 cents but I think that you shouldn't let others know what weapons type (thermal, lasers) you're researching. It's invaluable for your future neighbors to be able to know which defensive devices they must research long before the first shot is fired.

While I agree weapons type used is invaluable information to your enemies it is something which other empires are going to figure out quite quickly so its not the end of the world.

At the moment the Clans haven't encountered another empire so no empire is going to know whether to start research or not on the counter for this (who knows who the Clans will be near), when they do encounter an empire and if they turn out to be hostile you are going to deploy your best weapons anyway against them so they may have a couple of turns head start on a counter to your weapons but thats about it.

It might be wise though to pick another weapon type, set one RC slowly researching away on it, dont build or deploy any until a time when you need to surprise your enemies, its what my empires are doing, always good to have an Ace up your sleeve :}

However I lhave to say, I love the Clan posts, it is really refreshing to read and I look forward to each chapter. I try and role play my empires as much as I can however I lack the literary skills to share it with others... so mostly its in my head... but I know whats going on :}

Thank you both! :thumbsup:

I've been thinking on the problem as well but after consulting Vice Admiral Evil Claw I am satisfied with the way things are. Evil Claw seem to have something up his sleeve that will solve these first contact situations in a satisfactory manner. :beer: