Rolling Thunder Forums

The Age of Screens is NOT dead!

D.I.E.

Have you contacted Pete and heard anything back????

Unfortunately, to date, I have been unable to contact Pete, either by e-mail or by phone, for clarification.

Personally, I think it is very important to the game, in light of the criticality of proliferating screen to the database, to know whether what happened was due to player error, our ignorance of how flag bridges work, or a problem with space combat program.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete is probably busy. I had a problem with one of my colonies that had mountains of lumber but none of my newly built lumber mills were producing any lumber. :laugh:

I contacted Pete about the problem but I heard nothing back but on this turn, that colony is finally producing lumber for my resource hungry empire.

If this was glitch, then he should say something. Hopefully a higher rate flag bridge might do better in a fight, however, targetting a land brick equipped only with computer system is a wtf moment.

Pete is probably busy. I had a problem with one of my colonies that had mountains of lumber but none of my newly built lumber mills were producing any lumber. :laugh:

I contacted Pete about the problem but I heard nothing back but on this turn, that colony is finally producing lumber for my resource hungry empire.

If this was glitch, then he should say something. Hopefully a higher rate flag bridge might do better in a fight, however, targetting a land brick equipped only with computer system is a wtf moment.

Targetting computers makes sense to me. They are a vital components of the fleet. But if an enemy Flag Bridge makes my unarmed flagship indestructable (until every other ship is gone), I will make the most of it!

Hopefully a higher rate flag bridge might do better in a fight, however, targetting a land brick equipped only with computer system is a wtf moment.

Its probably that the Flag Bridges are Macintosh products targeting the earlier and troublesome windows vista computers...

Really, Pete, how about a comment before next turn? I've got people to kill and would like to know the rules before committing resources (Now when have I said that before... :laugh: )

/Locklyn

Targetting computers makes sense to me. They are a vital components of the fleet. But if an enemy Flag Bridge makes my unarmed flagship indestructable (until every other ship is gone), I will make the most of it!

Maybe but why destroy it? If you look at the first example of a flag bridge in use, it did targeted gnats armed with a CIDS but it only crippled them. There has to be a hiccup in the system.

Hellenic Warp Points Fall!, Liberating the hellenic people!

http://www.rollingthunderforums.com/index....=1629&st=97

Maybe if we all hold hands, think nice thoughts, and recite a chant, then Pete will magically appear to tell someone, anyone, if this battle was glitched or not.

Hail, hail, fire and snow

Call the Pete, we need to know

Far away, for to see

Friendly Pete, come to me

Also, sacrifices of sugared objects and beverages containing alcohol may also serve to entice the Pete to appear.

Hail, hail, fire and snow

Call the Pete, we need to know

Far away, for to see

Friendly Pete, come to me

Not my favorite episode of the series, but nice call!

Takeda

This is what Pete said in an email to me when I asked him to clarify flagbridges before my first attack...don't know if this helps:

"Flag Bridges uses a threat evaluation system to weed out nonthreatening entities from the primary targeting display. Your admirals expect solid results against the usual garbage screens they are likely to encounter. They also limit the need for the typical worthless friendly screens as well, by way of allowing friendly targeting onto enemy weapons platforms much earlier in the battle (ie 120,000 screens is probably 120 million totally wasted tons)."

Cheers

/Locklyn

Geeze. I hope it's wrong but it appears that the holy grail turns out not to be a holy grail. I agree with your evaluation Marcus.

Since Pete said "Flag Bridges uses a threat evaluation system to weed out nonthreatening entities from the primary targeting display", we need to understand the term NON-THREATENING.

You can interpret nonthreatening to mean anything, but to me, the only nonthreatening ship is an unarmed ship. Think about it. One 'screen' armed with a Siege Tachyon Beam is relatively harmless, but if someone constructs a fleet of 10,000 or 20,000 of these little guys, suddenly it's putting out credible damage. What was once harmless is now a viable threat. Sadly, the results of the last battle seem to back that interpretation.

Obviously Flag Bridges can be useful against already existing screens that were built without weapons... BUT I'd say that that from now on, every screen design will carry at least one weapon system. That being the case, the current crop of screens may die off, but a new crop of them will replace them.

Perhaps <crosses fingers> the Mk2 or higher versions will expand the definition of nonthreatening to include a 'real' threat evaluation routine built into the RTG combat program... If they do not, then what point is there having a higher level Flag Bridge??

Geeze. I hope it's wrong but it appears that the holy grail turns out not to be a holy grail. I agree with your evaluation Marcus.

Since Pete said "Flag Bridges uses a threat evaluation system to weed out nonthreatening entities from the primary targeting display", we need to understand the term NON-THREATENING.

You can interpret nonthreatening to mean anything, but to me, the only nonthreatening ship is an unarmed ship. Think about it. One 'screen' armed with a Siege Tachyon Beam is relatively harmless, but if someone constructs a fleet of 10,000 or 20,000 of these little guys, suddenly it's putting out credible damage. What was once harmless is now a viable threat. Sadly, the results of the last battle seem to back that interpretation.

Obviously Flag Bridges can be useful against already existing screens that were built without weapons... BUT I'd say that that from now on, every screen design will carry at least one weapon system. That being the case, the current crop of screens may die off, but a new crop of them will replace them.

Perhaps <crosses fingers> the Mk2 or higher versions will expand the definition of nonthreatening to include a 'real' threat evaluation routine built into the RTG combat program... If they do not, then what point is there having a higher level Flag Bridge??

Isnt having a massive Firecontrol rating as well as MASSIVE firepower just as good? You target as many enemy ships as possible and with high enough firepower wipe the screens out in the least amount of time.

Screen this way applied are just plain stupid and should never have worked.

Even if you have 10.000s of 1.000 ton ships, the combined firepower will never do any harm to a NDN with 50.000.000+ tonnage. But you waste away huge chunks (even with incredible high Fire Control and Fire Power)

on these (in my eyes still junk) screens.

And the reason for the Flag Bridge were to help cleaing the screens from the database, as they started to put a strain on it.

But as it currently looks like, screens are still valid :laugh:

What the most frustration part is, that Pete still has not said a peep about it. java script:emoticon(

Just a "works as designed" or "oops, I messed up" would have been enough.