Rolling Thunder Forums

Borders in Supernova

Flagritz

Thanks for the insights, I guess there is no hard fast rule when it comes to this, I suppose I kinda expected that :}

There seems to be a general consensus though that several systems out from a Homeworld can be claimed but I guess everything else is open to interpretation! :]

Reason I ask is that I have a quite advanced player appear in my space right in the middle of one space lane I use. Although not close to a homeworld I consider the systems in question as my space, Ive put sentries at warp points etc From our talks he does not recognise my borders and plans to continue to explore.

Im trying to work out if Im being unreasonable or not if I try and enforce my borders. Up until now every empire (bar one) that Ive met Ive been able to establish dilaogue with and agree borders.

While Im hoping he will just move on I don't really know the player so I don't know if I should just wait and see and risk him scouting more of what I consider my space and potentially geting close to one of my homeworlds? or should I move aggressively just incase but then I may provoke a harder response?

As long as you give fair notice that if he continues exploring in what you claim as your inner sphere the chance that his explorers wíll meet with a unfortunate end you are plaing straight, unless he is looking to provoke you into a war by pushing your limits, which in any case means you better holster up, bring in the cat and prepare for the rain :taz:

/Locklyn

Reason I ask is that I have a quite advanced player appear in my space right in the middle of one space lane I use. Although not close to a homeworld I consider the systems in question as my space, Ive put sentries at warp points etc From our talks he does not recognise my borders and plans to continue to explore.

Locklyn's right again. Looks like you're in for a bit of unpleasantness regardless of how reasonable you're trying to be. :cheers:

Just who is this player? Perhaps someone can fill you in on his past intentions and/or help you to improve his manners! :thumbsup:

Don't be afraid to aggravate him; if he's arrogant enough to ignore you, I doubt there's anything you can do to make it worse. :taz:

Good Luck! :cheers:

:cheers::woohoo:

Locklyn's right again. Looks like you're in for a bit of unpleasantness regardless of how reasonable you're trying to be. :cheers:

Just who is this player? Perhaps someone can fill you in on his past intentions and/or help you to improve his manners! :thumbsup:

Don't be afraid to aggravate him; if he's arrogant enough to ignore you, I doubt there's anything you can do to make it worse. :taz:

That is an easy one. I am that player. And I did not like his handling of the KomKa.

So why should I consider borders with him, as it is only his way or war. See the KomKa-Thread and see, what I mean.

That is an easy one. I am that player. And I did not like his handling of the KomKa.

So why should I consider borders with him, as it is only his way or war. See the KomKa-Thread and see, what I mean.

Ah, the muddy water is starting to settle out! :cheers:

From the way this thread was set up, I was under the impression we had another 'Obsidian' type loose among us. The Galactic Map didn't show any 'known' positions that would fit the bill, so I thought some 'turtle' had come out of his shell and needed to be ID'd. :unsure:

Since this is on-going, and the KomKa thread seems to have met the rudiments of talk first-shoot later, this whole thing has now become moot; and a lot of electrons could have been saved if this had been made clear from the beginning. :thumbsup:

I stand by my original position; it's only your border if you can hold it, either thru diplomacy or force of arms. :cheers:

The Gornase stand ready [with their MkIII clubs] to assist against any Force hell-bent to control the Galaxy; but this seems to be a local thing, and we eagerly await the Battle Reports. Not much entertainment in our part of the Universe. :taz:

Good Luck to both of you. :cheers:

:woohoo::cheers:

This is another aspect of this game that I find fascinating. Reasons for an empire's stance, posture, actions, or lack there of are not always what they seem to be on the surface. Very generally speaking (I'm not trying to point out anyone in particular and I'm not referring solely to this thread), this board is quick to jump to the defense of the empire that is perceived to be the reasonable party. In actuality, we seldom know all the factors behind these situations.

Is the perceived bully simply just that? A mindless bully. Or could there actually be a rationale or provocation behind his behavior? In this particular case, we find out that one empire (Cestvel) didn't like the way another (Flagritz) interacted with his neighbor (Komka).

What we still don't know (or at least I don't) is what is Cestvel's relationship to Komka. Does he run that empire? Is he friends with that player? Does he even know him? Or does Cestvel simply not like the way Flagritz runs his empires? It really doesn't matter what the answer is. The point is that some action on behalf of Flagritz had an impact on another player which elicited a certain response.

What it comes down to is that anything we do in and/or out of the game can have an impact on other players and at some point we may have to deal with those consequences. If nothing else, this makes the universe a much more interesting place.

oh yeah I forgot about your ships, apologies I guess this applies for our encounter aswell, wow its been a busy month, Ill swap with Locklyn for that quite corner of space! :}

To be honest I already came to the conclusion you are gunning for me, our talks were a no brainer :}

Now you brought it up, Im happy to come to an agreement which is beneficial for both our empires but you wont even discuss..... hold on, getting deja vu, empire wont discuss... keeps sending ships at me.... wait did you run the KomKa after all? :}

Chairman Lar we apreciate the support of the Gornase to help us repel this galactic threat.... kidding! <g> :}

You get in one war and your tarnished for eternity.... :}

oh yeah I forgot about your ships, apologies I guess this applies for our encounter aswell, wow its been a busy month, Ill swap with Locklyn for that quite corner of space! :}

So you have made another one angry as well? :thumbsup:

Looks like I need to speed up :woohoo:

But keep forgetting about my ships :taz:

BTW:

I am *not* the same player running or has run the KomKa.

So you have made another one angry as well? :cheers:

Looks like I need to speed up :thumbsup:

But keep forgetting about my ships :woohoo:

BTW:

I am *not* the same player running or has run the KomKa.

I thought that would make you happy.. like a jackal circling its prey waiting for the best moment to strike :}

Dont rush on my account, Im sure you have lots of other empires beofre me you are wanting to attack?

Or am I getting special treatment, if so you are just too kind :}

oh well, I just hope that in future players take note and when they encounter you they can say:

"I did not like cestvels handling of the Flagritz. So why should I consider borders with him, as it is only his way or war. See the Flagritz thread and see, what I mean"

It would be poetic justice :}

As long as you give fair notice that if he continues exploring in what you claim as your inner sphere the chance that his explorers wíll meet with a unfortunate end you are plaing straight, unless he is looking to provoke you into a war by pushing your limits, which in any case means you better holster up, bring in the cat and prepare for the rain :taz:

/Locklyn

Back to the original thread.... Apreciate the posts, I will try and contact him again and see what he says, hopefully he will read these forums and see I am trying to be reasonable, if not then I will have given him enough warning.

Regardless of his stance it looks like Im under the hammer anyway! :]

One can always try talking, I have found that people listen that much more attententively when the speaker is sitting in the C&C of a Nova Dreadnaught. That may be just me but it speaks volumes when needed :taz:

Never underestimate also your willingness to fight even a losing fight. An aggressive opponent will soon find himself fighting an war of attrition that he might lose if he spreads out too thinly. Also identify an opponent publically, perhaps he has other enemies that just became your best friends :woohoo:

Oh and lastly don't fight cestvel, he has the best maps in the universe so his ships will use hidden spacelanes to beat you to whereever you are going :thumbsup:

Have fun

:cheers:

/Locklyn

One can always try talking, I have found that people listen that much more attententively when the speaker is sitting in the C&C of a Nova Dreadnaught. That may be just me but it speaks volumes when needed :drunk:

Never underestimate also your willingness to fight even a losing fight. An aggressive opponent will soon find himself fighting an war of attrition that he might lose if he spreads out too thinly. Also identify an opponent publically, perhaps he has other enemies that just became your best friends :beer:

Oh and lastly don't fight cestvel, he has the best maps in the universe so his ships will use hidden spacelanes to beat you to whereever you are going <_<

Have fun

/Locklyn

And also, "Never get involved in a land war in Asia" and "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" <_<

... with 1800+ pages those pesky alien fleet sightings are easy to miss.

This is why we like Acrobat's search function. The word "sighting" gets used very seldom in turn reports except when aliens show up.

Neither does Alien with a capital A. Acrobat allows you to define the case of the letters and limit your search to that.

One can always try talking, I have found that people listen that much more attententively when the speaker is sitting in the C&C of a Nova Dreadnaught. That may be just me but it speaks volumes when needed :drunk:

Never underestimate also your willingness to fight even a losing fight. An aggressive opponent will soon find himself fighting an war of attrition that he might lose if he spreads out too thinly. Also identify an opponent publically, perhaps he has other enemies that just became your best friends :beer:

Oh and lastly don't fight cestvel, he has the best maps in the universe so his ships will use hidden spacelanes to beat you to whereever you are going <_<

Have fun

/Locklyn

And also, "Never get involved in a land war in Asia" and "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" <_<

You forgot the most important rule of all: Never, never eat a moon pie with a Coke, only with an RC Cola. It is unnatural any other way.