Rolling Thunder Forums

Gravitic Mine Rack

Locklyn

Here is ANZ

Hydrolithium Bomb: Hydrolithium Bombs are small nuclear warheads that, when detonated, release an extremely large amount of thermal radiation. The heat from such an explosion can melt virtually anything within the immediate blast zone and ignites anything flammable for many miles around it. The resulting firestorm often does more damage than the initial detonation. (10 tons) 10 Steel - 20 Electronics - 20 Shenn Stones Classification: Mass Destruction Device Prerequisite Technologies: Nuclear Bomb, Light Hellfire Cannon Nuclear Weapons Offense: Fair [300]

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is ANZ

Hydrolithium Bomb: Hydrolithium Bombs are small nuclear warheads that, when detonated, release an extremely large amount of thermal radiation. The heat from such an explosion can melt virtually anything within the immediate blast zone and ignites anything flammable for many miles around it. The resulting firestorm often does more damage than the initial detonation. (10 tons) 10 Steel - 20 Electronics - 20 Shenn Stones Classification: Mass Destruction Device Prerequisite Technologies: Nuclear Bomb, Light Hellfire Cannon Nuclear Weapons Offense: Fair [300]

Oh No!

The great secret is out !

Here is the next step in a dangerous evolution of bombs...

"Inferno Bomb ",10," -----ANZ (Analyze Item)-----

ANZ: Inferno Bomb

Inferno Bomb: Inferno Bombs are medium-sized nuclear warheads that, when detonated, release an

extremely large amount of thermal radiation. The heat from such an explosion can melt

virtually anything within the immediate blast zone and ignites anything flammable for

many miles around it. The resulting firestorm often does more damage than the initial

detonation. (10 tons) 10 Improved Steel - 10 Improved Electronics - 30 Shenn Stones

Classification: Weapon Structural Integrity: 10

Prerequisite Technologies: Hydrolithium Bomb, Medium Thermal Lance

Don't really know if MDD's warrent any research though....from what I have heard , are not really worth it like they were in SNII.....also , I am wondering how one would use mdd's since there are no mdd launch bays from which to launch them.....would it be with just a normal orbital bombardment order , and the mdd's automatically drop? Used to love my little mdd Frontier cruisers in SNII .

Here is ANZ

Oh No!

The great secret is out !

We're all doomed!!!

Don't really know if MDD's warrent any research though....from what I have heard , are not really worth it like they were in SNII.....also , I am wondering how one would use mdd's since there are no mdd launch bays from which to launch them.....would it be with just a normal orbital bombardment order , and the mdd's automatically drop? Used to love my little mdd Frontier cruisers in SNII .

We found many of these left-over from previous insane civilizations. In our tests, orbital bombardment orders did nothing. All MDDs stayed in their cargo bays and no weapons were fired from the ship. *flicks antennae* We have decided to concentrate our resources on improving our infrastructure and pacifying space around us so that we never see insane personnel on the ground.

We found many of these left-over from previous insane civilizations. In our tests, orbital bombardment orders did nothing. All MDDs stayed in their cargo bays and no weapons were fired from the ship. *flicks antennae* We have decided to concentrate our resources on improving our infrastructure and pacifying space around us so that we never see insane personnel on the ground.

I absolutely agree, my Honey-Dripping Friend. The Gornase prefer to deal with the Universe in their own fashion; but the fact remains whether we use them or not, they're in our inventory. :cheers:

We'll drop them if & when we learn how, or trade them if we're sure they won't be immedeately returned, but we still have to know how to research them. :ranting:

And you have absolutely no idea how far we were going to go before we knew we needed any more Shenn than we're currently aquiring. :blink:

Orderly!!! I'm waiting to hear the from the Research Director! .... :ranting:

:cheers::cheers:

rfouasnon brings up an interesting point. How does one fire a MDD from orbit :ranting: It's seems straighforward on a planetary surface to transfer the MDD to an army with an NBC unit and order an NBC strike. :cheers: But in this day and age when nuclear weapon armed satelites are a technicaly feasable :ranting: there should be some way in SN to drop one from space

Anybody have any thought on that?

Glow at ya later :cheers:

rfouasnon brings up an interesting point. How does one fire a MDD from orbit :ranting: It's seems straighforward on a planetary surface to transfer the MDD to an army with an NBC unit and order an NBC strike. :cheers: But in this day and age when nuclear weapon armed satelites are a technicaly feasable :ranting: there should be some way in SN to drop one from space

Anybody have any thought on that?

Glow at ya later :cheers:

You use the Bombard order. BOMB, Fleet Number, Target Pop Group, Item 1, amount, Item 2, amount, etcetera....

Basically you go over the target, open the cargo hatch, and push the dang things out over the planet.

And yes I've done this. Even thousands of MDD's of adequate level dropped on an enemy colony seems to have only minor effects on the pop and structures. At least I remember it working with very little impact. It was so disappointing I gave up using them and can't remember all the details. The price to pay for them being so small in size. I guess.

I guess RTG does not wish us to be able to " crack " ( or completely destroy ) a planet , as we were allowed to do in SNII......

At least. not with those MDDs...

All I want to do is drop one teeny tiny active Planetary Cargo Gate into a star, and watch it go BOOM destroying the system, just like in Stargate: SG-1. If a couple of low-tech terrans can do it, why can't I?! That's not to much to ask, is it???? :cheers:

In discussions with Pete I have gotten the impression that MDDs and damage to installations and population is not exactly working as it should and has been left that way both to tone MDDs down from how they were in old supernova and mainly because the selfrepair coding for installations does not work, which is why buildings are just destroyed, not damaged as first intended. Pete also mentioned that he didn't know why one would use MDDs as population is the games most valuable resource, I then wondered why MDDs then were in the game, to which I got no reply.

There are weapons to blow up planets even entire systems, but they are all balanced in a way that makes it seem like Pete wants maximum balance and player survivability in this game. The only reason in my book to research MDDs and so forth are if you are interested in advancing your ground techs or building a dyson sphere or ring world.

Cheers

/Locklyn

Population in SNII was different than population in this version . First off , there were tons of advanced neutrals in the old game . Second , you could not manipulate the population in the old version in the manner that you can in this game . When you conquered a HW , then basically all you could do is turn that world into a manufacturing center....which you could do with any neutral also . It was not possible to get the pop off of any world except your own homeworld and turn them into colonists to make colonies . Colonies in the old SN were the primary way to generate income ( money ) with which to build things...at the same time to had to generate IOP from your industries to build these things . There was so much unusable population , that it was no big deal to kill 100's of thousands of pop....or destroy whole planets outright . As a Death Machine , after I had enough manufacturing centers , every population number that was in excess was killed . That generated favor points , since as a Death Machine ( and the Unit Prime ) , our sole directive was to rid the galaxy of biological entities . Research was much simpler back then , and the tech trees also shorter and simpler.....The NWTX-44 planet cracker mdd was one of those weapons that Paul ( Dutch PBM Express ) allowed us to use to destroy worlds ......a destroyed world created an asteriod field ....the field could be harvested to bring resources...either light or heavy metals which were used by the industries to create IOP ( industrial output points )....with a combination of IOP and money you could then build things . Resources were finite in that game , not like in this game . Paul also allowed us to destroy worlds with smaller mdd's , but then we had to use massive amounts of these mdd's . For a Death Machine , mdd's were an important thing , since they did allow us to kill large amounts of population . Mdd's were also important , though to a lesser degree for biologicals , since they could use them in conjunction with special orders to kill population, and declare the kills as sacrifices to the bad gods ( Kar-Tang and Vladchek I believe were their names ) . We were also allowed to use the lesser mdd's to alter planets to make them more colonizable . As a Death Machine I looked for a V planet class ( very very cold worlds which under normal circumstances could not be colonized by even a Death Machine ) , dropped some mdd's on it to raise the temp of the world ( and the world kept its V class ) . I could then colonize the world with not so bad attrition , and the world was a great trading partner for a nearby world with population . In that game , really , mdd's were important for many reasons . Pete probably envisioned other things for the mdd's in this game when he started programming the game , possibly similar to the old game , but then as the concept for this game varied so much from the old game , he changed the mdd's , but did not take them out completely......but , from what I can see , they could easily have been left out from this version . Maybe they were left in for sentimental reasons....after all , they did play a more important role in the old game . Ultimately only one person could really answer why they were left in this game....much the same as to why religion was left in the new version , since from what I can see , religion has no relevance in this game...at least not yet .