Rolling Thunder Forums

Please prevent cheating

cestvel

Let's not get too carried away with this. I've seen countless battles work just fine, with DepLoc affecting outgoing and incoming weapon damage. I'm running more battles this week to see how particular engagements could somehow run incorrectly (or report the results incorrectly). This is a line by line test and it takes quite a while, but I'm doing what I can to track this one down.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not get too carried away with this. I've seen countless battles work just fine, with DepLoc affecting outgoing and incoming weapon damage. I'm running more battles this week to see how particular engagements could somehow run incorrectly (or report the results incorrectly). This is a line by line test and it takes quite a while, but I'm doing what I can to track this one down.

Thanks Pete. But not get carried away? That's what we do best! :jawdrop:

O ho! :jawdrop: I found the problem. I ran many battles line by line and noticed that deploc wasn't being calculated properly in some cases until just after the first pulse of damage output. After the first pulse, deplocs sorted themselves out perfectly and the firepower figures for each ship looked spot on, taking deploc into account exactly as it should.

Incoming damage based on defensive deploc looks fine right from the start and does not appear to have any issues. Of course, you don't see it in the overwhelming battles because a Pathfinder can only take so much damage - when it takes a billion damage and reduces it because it's assigned to deploc 7, it still takes way more than it can handle, and only enough is delivered to kill it, making it look like it didn't reduce the incoming damage, when in fact it did (but it died anyway).

I'm working on a fix for the side cases because even one pulse of a long battle can certainly be important. In the vast (and I do mean VAST) majority of battles, one side is guaranteed to win anyway based purely on a massive advantage in firepower/tonnage - the battle runs one pulse and immediately ends - so it didn't matter for those. Pathfinder probes for instance had no effect on anything even if they did deal out very slightly more damage when assigned to non DepLoc 1 (because even if they were at 12 they were going to die instantly anyway, and the damage they deal is trivial).

Warp point assaults complicate the fix a bit - I don't want attacking ships to get two warpins on the first pulse by having several deploc assignment checks. If I can't correct it for warp point assault deplocs then it would be possible for the first pulse of ships to arrive to be assumed to be at deploc 1 for their first firing pass, but then after that first appearance all attacking ships would be treated normally. In that case one could assume that the vanguard of ships arriving know they're going to be in trouble so they manage to get full firepower off on their very first shots. It's very difficult to preduct which ship(s) are going to arrive first anyway, so it's not exactly something the attacker can "abuse".

Of course, as in so many battles, almost all of the time none of this matters - one side is destined to win with no losses, owing to overwhelming firepower/tonnage. Anyway, other than the odd warp point assault in an even battle (unthinkably rare), it's looking good going forward.

I am also trying to track down the really rare cases where a large ship coming in damaged can sometimes be given 1 integrity. I've seen that happen a very few times, and it's quite annoying.

i am glad that this is finally being looked at..... i mentioned this toyou when i was still in florence Pete..... if you remember.

You're not too big on the 'diplomacy' thing are you. Hint: The correct response would be to make a note to self - that was that problem dealt with, no matter how long it took to your mind, and then move on to to next thing that's important to you. The past is just that - the past. If you can't change it, let it go!

i am glad that this is finally being looked at..... i mentioned this toyou when i was still in florence Pete..... if you remember.

You're not too big on the 'diplomacy' thing are you. Hint: The correct response would be to make a note to self - that was that problem dealt with, no matter how long it took to your mind, and then move on to to next thing that's important to you. The past is just that - the past. If you can't change it, let it go!

diplomacy sucks.... and to me i said the "correct" response.... that is your reponse...... and if i want to let it go then i will if not then i wont...... :jawdrop: (did he just say tht???????????????????????)

YES YES HE DID LMAO

Ahhhh I get it. Make everyone dislike your attitude and then you can make the justifiable claim that everyone is against you. The old '"I'm the victim here" ploy. Hmmm - the logic works, kinda.... technically at least, but the thinking behind it definitely leaves a little to be desired. Small wonder that people want to 're-arrange' your game stats.

u dont get it... i simply dont care whether you like or dislike me...... I do know this... try to re-arange what you want.. I dont see that happening anytime soon..... lol :jawdrop:
Oh don't mind me - I'm just being idly amused by your antics. I'll almost be sorry when you get finished off - no one else does 'Delusions of Grandeur' quite like you.

u dont get it... i simply dont care whether you like or dislike me...... I do know this... try to re-arange what you want.. I dont see that happening anytime soon..... lol :jawdrop:
Oh don't mind me - I'm just being idly amused by your antics. I'll almost be sorry when you get finished off - no one else does 'Delusions of Grandeur' quite like you.

<<sigh!>> I do miss Gary Carpenter...

TErnest