Rolling Thunder Forums

Beginner's Questions

Viro

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few more questions:

Is there a definitive acronym guide somewhere?

I've been reading about the Screen ships/Flag Bridges ordeal, and I can't help but wonder:

How can you manage tens of thousands of ships? Your turn sheet must be thousands of pages?

How long can I play on 80 orders or less? Now, and for the foreseeable future (until I finish school), I definitely cannot afford spending 12-15$ per month. I was forced to stop playing MMOs, MUDs etc., because they were too time consuming. Hopefully SN will be able to satisfy my gaming appetite, and not consume every waking moment (I'd like to hope hah!).

No acronym guide, sorry, at least to my knowledge.

1000 ships of one kind in a fleet are not listed individually, but as 1000 of type X.

You cannot even distinguish between the non-damaged, ligthly damaged or severly damaged of one type.

And you can go a long way with only 40 orders (still doing so on many of my positions). If things need more, I throw in another 40,

but these things can be done the next turn as well. So with 80 orders you can run some years. Depends on your style of playing, though.

You can easily burn 120 orders if you like, some month into the game, but as said, these would be no essential orders.

"expensive" (using a lot of orders) things you do is:

- setting up your build queues

- setting up convoy routes

- later, with ships having more than 4 AP, ship movement can eat up some orders as well.

You can run an empire on 40 Orders per turn for several years. Just do the important orders first and than fill the turn sheet up to the 40 Order limit.

Of course, you have to know which ones are the important orders.

As a new player I have stubled on something that appears to eat up orders. I have been trying to divide my intitial fleet of pathfinders up into 4 fleets of two pathfinders each. Do I really have to create an empty fleet with the NEWF order BEFORE I give a RN order to transfer my two pathfinders into the new fleet?

I assumed it would be like victory and using the RN order with a new fleet number would create the new fleet AND effect the transfer. Why the need for two orders when one should do????

I am also confused by the factory capacity of 250 tons of production. How many tons are used to take 3 iron and make one steel?

You can run an empire on 40 Orders per turn for several years. Just do the important orders first and than fill the turn sheet up to the 40 Order limit.

As a new player I have stubled on something that appears to eat up orders. I have been trying to divide my intitial fleet of pathfinders up into 4 fleets of two pathfinders each. Do I really have to create an empty fleet with the NEWF order BEFORE I give a RN order to transfer my two pathfinders into the new fleet?

I assumed it would be like victory and using the RN order with a new fleet number would create the new fleet AND effect the transfer. Why the need for two orders when one should do????

I am also confused by the factory capacity of 250 tons of production. How many tons are used to take 3 iron and make one steel?

Yes you need to issue a NEWF before a RN. But you can build new ships into new fleets by just giving them a new fleet number on the SHIP order.

3 Iron are produced from 30 raw resources and the one Steel produced from the 3 Iron.

This will drain 33(4?) industrial capacity from the 250 the tons the IC produces. I am not just firm if the item itself is also counted, but I think not. It counts only the items it needs to process the new item.

3* 10 RR + 3 * Iron = 1 Steel.

Yes you need to issue a NEWF before a RN. But you can build new ships into new fleets by just giving them a new fleet number on the SHIP order.

3 Iron are produced from 30 raw resources and the one Steel produced from the 3 Iron.

This will drain 33(4?) industrial capacity from the 250 the tons the IC produces. I am not just firm if the item itself is also counted, but I think not. It counts only the items it needs to process the new item.

3* 10 RR + 3 * Iron = 1 Steel.

Quite right. Unlike most game production systems, an industrial center in SNROTE is not limited in the amount of OUTPUT it produces. Rather, it is limited by the amount of input materials that can be fed INTO the factories. So, producing 15 Iron from 150 Raw Resources will take 150 production points. Then, using that 15 Iron to produce 5 Steel will take 15 more production points. And finally, turning that 5 Steel into 1 Standard Hull will take an additional 5 production points.

One benefit of SNROTE's NEWF/RN system is that you still use the NEWF order to accomplish two tasks: You can define a new fleet number and name it in a single order action. But sadly, you still can only RN into an already defined fleet number.

:ranting:

Quite right. Unlike most game production systems, an industrial center in SNROTE is not limited in the amount of OUTPUT it produces. Rather, it is limited by the amount of input materials that can be fed INTO the factories. So, producing 15 Iron from 150 Raw Resources will take 150 production points. Then, using that 15 Iron to produce 5 Steel will take 15 more production points. And finally, turning that 5 Steel into 1 Standard Hull will take an additional 5 production points.

So the 150 "Production Points" you refer to is really 150 tons of a factories 250 Ton capacity??????. I would use less than one factories capacity to make the 5 steel from 150 raw resources???

So the 150 "Production Points" you refer to is really 150 tons of a factories 250 Ton capacity??????. I would use less than one factories capacity to make the 5 steel from 150 raw resources???

Yes, input based factories. So a 250 ton capacity factory, could turn 250 tons of materials into something else. ie 250 raw resources into 25 Iron, would use one factory. (10 to a ratio)

250 tons of Iron could be turned into 83 Steel (83 1/3 to be exact)

etc.

Enjoy and invest in a spreadsheet or 2 or 3 or.... :rolleyes:

Hi,

I thought I'd answer a few of the questions raised from the perspective of a newbie (i.e. less that 10 turns played at present). Hopefully other newbies/prospective players will find some of this useful...

I designed and submitted my race before reading any posts about SRPs....fair enough research is going slowly but I am already noticing the advantage of some of my lifeform choices (particularly the colonisation bonuses) which I wouldn't of chosen if I wanted to save points... I designed my race from a roleplaying standpoint as I knew very little about the game mechanics and so far I am having lots of fun :thumbsup:

I don't think you need to start several positions at the same time...if anything this seems a little underhanded to me! I've already mentioned that my research is a bit slow, but also I don't have a Gas Giant in my home system...some people may say this is a poor start, but I am able to colonise worlds that have some precious resources that my homeworld doesn't and I can actually SKIM my homeworld with 90% efficiency (See this Skimming Post for why). Can some of the "oldies" let me know if I have completely missed the point with regard to the need for a Gas Giant or if my homeworld is about to explode due to my skimming operations? <_< I suspect this points to startup systems being fairly balanced.

I will probably start another position once I have more time...but not for an advantage, just because I'm am addicted to this game already and love creating new races.

Regarding Mental Powers: I have taken some 4th gen powers and some 1st gen....these don't necessarily seem to be helping at present (I can research better WMDs very quickly...but this looks to be of little advantage) but it has been widely mentioned this is a game that takes time :ranting: One thing is that 2nd gen Mental Powers seem to take a lot longer to research than other 2nd gen tech (this is backed up somewhere in a post but I can't find it at present)...e.g I have been researching a 2nd gen Mental power and that is still in the early stages where as other 2nd gen tech is progressing well.

Regarding number of orders/time taken: So far I have used 40 orders in about 50% of my turns and 80 for the rest. However the 80 order turns were filled up a lot with ANZ or INST orders and I could probably of restricted them to 40 if I hadn't named Characters, Fleets or infact planned a bit ahead and not messed with my build orders practically every turn :wacko: I think the quickest turn I have submitted took me 2 hours to write and check the orders...this doesn't include reading the previous turn results and generally trawling the forum for tips late at night using my iPhone (BTW the wife doesn't like this, but the optician probably will when I get fitted for glasses <_< ). I've found this game VERY ADDICTIVE and it has the potential to take over your life (if only with daydreaming about what you will do next!)...however time taken to actually do your orders seems a lot less than SNII (Which I seem to remember dropping out of some 16 yrs ago due to exams/lack of time). This might be due to using spreadsheets this time rather than a calculator!

Regarding Spreadsheets etc.: I think they are a must. The Basic Production Spreadsheet and Item and Installations Starter Guide found in the Player Aids Downloads Section on the Rolling Thunder website are very useful. As is Cestvel's Build Generator .... and I'm sure his SN Find Path will become as I expand more (at present it makes a very beautiful map using GraphViz :wacko: ). Slith's Website also contains some useful databases and spreadsheets. I am currently trying to update Phasedragon's spreadsheets and incorporate them in my own database which I am happy to share once complete, but at present time contraints are slowing me down (Try telling your boss that the new production server will have to wait as your new System Scan results need to be input automatically first :unsure: ).

Silly Mistakes: You will make a few....try reading the FAQ and the linked pages from it to limit these. I also found the Seven Clans of Una posts very useful and a great example of how much fun SN:ROTE can be even if you do make mistakes (I'd say it was a must read for all prospective players...what's $12 a month compared to the hours/days of excitement you can be having :thumbsup: ).

Lastly: And this is aimed at all current newbies/prospective players ... I am certainly liking the idea of a "Newbie Alliance" so that we can plan galactic domination together ... mwahahaha ...eck humm... or at least help each other out and not plan each other's domination too quickly :thumbsup: ....it seems there are quite a few of us starting at the moment so let's get together and discuss our own silly mistakes or good forum post finds :cheers: PM me if you are interested.

Lastly, Lastly!: Welcome to the galaxy :unsure:

Nice, that you found my tools useful <_<

2nd Level Mentalics need a lot more RC than the normal progression (3 RC, 12 RC, 27 RC, 48 RC) would suggest.

I think I did only one to Level 2 and it used approx. 50 RC. I guess they cost the same as you would

use as SRP to buy them,but this is only a guess.

Oh and till now we always got a little early Santa present of some SRP on SN:ROTE's birthday turn.

So even if you have used up all your points at startup, you can use some SRP from time to time.

BTW, what happened to the Clans of Una?

Nice, that you found my tools useful :)

2nd Level Mentalics need a lot more RC than the normal progression (3 RC, 12 RC, 27 RC, 48 RC) would suggest.

I think I did only one to Level 2 and it used approx. 50 RC. I guess they cost the same as you would

use as SRP to buy them,but this is only a guess.

Oh and till now we always got a little early Santa present of some SRP on SN:ROTE's birthday turn.

So even if you have used up all your points at startup, you can use some SRP from time to time.

BTW, what happened to the Clans of Una?

How about SRPs on our RL or startup birthday's as well? ... obviously only starting with me ;)

I PM'd Peter (aka Clans of Una) after I started and thanked him for getting me interested in the game...unfortunately I think he's dropped for now (Sorry if I've given it away Peter!)....I for one hope to see him return as his posts certainly added enjoyment to the game :thumbsup:

One thing I forgot to add for newcomers...

The general consensus seems to be (from what I've read!) each RC should be assigned to one area only (again I can't find the original post) ... however I may of researched certain Techs using more than one RC from the beginning... could somebody tell me how many RCs could complete a Tech that is in the "Final Stages" (say 14 points in :)?)