Rolling Thunder Forums

Beginner's Questions

Viro

Thank you everyone whose contributed to this thread thus far. I've submitted my setup, and hopefully will get my first turn results tomorrow! Without a doubt, I'll be asking more questions before the next cycle :thumbsup:

I'm pretty excited. :);)

I think you will get it on Friday (hopefully) with the rest of us :thumbsup:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you everyone whose contributed to this thread thus far. I've submitted my setup, and hopefully will get my first turn results tomorrow! Without a doubt, I'll be asking more questions before the next cycle :thumbsup:

Aww :thumbsup: I was under the impression new turns were mailed the same day the previous cycle's orders were turned in. That means you have 11 days to turn in your orders after you receive turn results?

Turn results come on Friday.. orders due two Tuesdays following?

One thing I forgot to add for newcomers...

The general consensus seems to be (from what I've read!) each RC should be assigned to one area only (again I can't find the original post) ... however I may of researched certain Techs using more than one RC from the beginning... could somebody tell me how many RCs could complete a Tech that is in the "Final Stages" (say 14 points in :) ?)

If it is a 12 RC item (2nd Gen item) it should have been completed already. if you have a negative RC bar, you may need only a few more. (it is at 18 dashes, right?) Or is your 14 and estimate using 2 RC for 7 turns? Then you have

put 9.90 points into the item and it would need 2.10 more. So put either 4 RC into it this turn or just 1 RC for two turns. (or 2 plus 1 if you have no Research bonus)

1 RC assigned to an item provides 1 research point to the item

4 RC assigned to an item provides 2 research point to the item

9 RC assigned to an item provides 3 research point to the item

In the future you will get a number of breakthroughs each turn, if these seem "enough" for you, you might want to switch to more RCs per item.

Aww :thumbsup: I was under the impression new turns were mailed the same day the previous cycle's orders were turned in. That means you have 11 days to turn in your orders after you receive turn results?

Turn results come on Friday.. orders due two Tuesdays following?

Correct.

Actually, you'll get your first turn results some time on Friday, the same as the rest of us. Failing Friday, it will be Saturday. Failing Saturday, ... etc. :thumbsup:

Pete has been pretty consistant the past couple of turns about getting us our turns on Friday , and probably us getting results on Saturday would be more the exception than the rule since he was able to get some of the time consuming routines fixed / modified ( convoy routes )....

warp bubble of 160 fit through a warp point with a size of 13?

what is the formula for warp bubles? How many jump engines will I need to get my warp bubble down to 12 for any given tonnage?

aLSO ONE OTHER ITEM...... I am building a infantry unit on by first colonization ship. the ship build requirements state I need an Imperial Army soldier. How do I create one?

I know how to create a colonist and have several but I do not have a soldier. Will by ship build order fail because I do not have a soldier in inventory??

what is the formula for warp bubles? How many jump engines will I need to get my warp bubble down to 12 for any given tonnage?

aLSO ONE OTHER ITEM...... I am building a infantry unit on by first colonization ship. the ship build requirements state I need an Imperial Army soldier. How do I create one?

I know how to create a colonist and have several but I do not have a soldier. Will by ship build order fail because I do not have a soldier in inventory??

The warp point size generally doesn't matter. It only applies when you are moving a fleet through a warp point and there is an enemy fleet on the other side. It determines how fast your fleet deploys on the other side. Any ship can pass through any warp point regardless of warp bubble or warp point size.

You don't build ships with soldiers installed. Build the ship with a Troop Berthing and then load the troops onto the fleet when the ship has been built. Similarly, design in Fuel Tankage to carry the fuel, rather than Fuel. You will need to re-design that ship.

You build Imperial Army Soldiers with Industrial Capactity, just like Steel and Cargo Bays etc. Put them in the build queue. Each Imperial Army Soldier requires 1 Trooper, which in turns requires 1 Colonist. So, first use a CTRN order to train some colonists, then put Troopers and Imperial Army Soldiers and then the actual division you want to buld eg Imperial Army Air Force in the production queue. Imperial Army Soldiers are just an intermediate build item - they don't fight themselves.

The warp point size generally doesn't matter. It only applies when you are moving a fleet through a warp point and there is an enemy fleet on the other side. It determines how fast your fleet deploys on the other side. Any ship can pass through any warp point regardless of warp bubble or warp point size.

You don't build ships with soldiers installed. Build the ship with a Troop Berthing and then load the troops onto the fleet when the ship has been built. Similarly, design in Fuel Tankage to carry the fuel, rather than Fuel. You will need to re-design that ship.

You build Imperial Army Soldiers with Industrial Capactity, just like Steel and Cargo Bays etc. Put them in the build queue. Each Imperial Army Soldier requires 1 Trooper, which in turns requires 1 Colonist. So, first use a CTRN order to train some colonists, then put Troopers and Imperial Army Soldiers and then the actual division you want to buld eg Imperial Army Air Force in the production queue. Imperial Army Soldiers are just an intermediate build item - they don't fight themselves.

I have a troop berting on my ship design AND I also had an Imperial infantry divison in the ship design. Will this ship build without a Infantry divison in inventory or will the ship be buit with an empty troop berth? If you must load infantry why does the Ship Design Order allown them as a ship componet??

Given your answer it would appear a ship with a Infantry divions and a troop beert is a invalid design but it was approved for construction

What order builds a soldier from a colonist? What is the order format to get this accomplished???

I have a troop berting on my ship design AND I also had an Imperial infantry divison in the ship design. Will this ship build without a Infantry divison in inventory or will the ship be buit with an empty troop berth? If you must load infantry why does the Ship Design Order allown them as a ship componet??

Given your answer it would appear a ship with a Infantry divions and a troop beert is a invalid design but it was approved for construction

What order builds a soldier from a colonist? What is the order format to get this accomplished???

BI, 1, Trooper, xyz, prio

BI, 1, Imperial Army Soldier, xyz, prio

BI, 1, Trooper, xyz, prio

BI, 1, Imperial Army Soldier, xyz, prio

BI, 1, Trooper, POP SEG, Every turn or just this time,yes or no

BI, 1 Imperial Army Soldier, pop seg, yes or no

BI, 1 Imperial Army Infantry, pop seg, yes or no

Yes, you can, add things like Fuel and troops to a ship design, the order entry program does NOT do hardly any error checking, but when the ship is built the fuel ECT will not be there. I am not sure if the actual building of the ship will crash or not, as I have not done this.

Some questions after reviewing my first results:

* Do I have to INST an installation before I CON it (I found a list of the starting installations)?

* Where can I find a list of the order in which orders are executed.. so I can answer questions like "Can I DISM and CON using the free'd construction materials on the same turn?"

* I'm reading backposts and other literature, and it seems in the past your empire setup came with multiple pop groups.. but I only have one. Has something changed, or did something go wrong?

I've got to admit.. I'm uber excited and somewhat overwhelmed. "What to build?!" is overriding theme of my thoughts as I peruse the bajillion 14 page list of technology items. Already I'm drowning in spreadsheets, trying to discover that optimum configuration to maximize my output. What all that industrial output is going to end up in I'm not yet sure. I haven't even yet considered what to do with my pathfinders, or what to load up in my RCs. Two weeks might not be enough :ranting:

* Do I have to INST an installation before I CON it (I found a list of the starting installations)?

* Where can I find a list of the order in which orders are executed.. so I can answer questions like "Can I DISM and CON using the free'd construction materials on the same turn?"

* I'm reading backposts and other literature, and it seems in the past your empire setup came with multiple pop groups.. but I only have one. Has something changed, or did something go wrong?

I've got to admit.. I'm uber excited and somewhat overwhelmed. "What to build?!" is overriding theme of my thoughts as I peruse the bajillion 14 page list of technology items. Already I'm drowning in spreadsheets, trying to discover that optimum configuration to maximize my output. What all that industrial output is going to end up in I'm not yet sure. I haven't even yet considered what to do with my pathfinders, or what to load up in my RCs. Two weeks might not be enough B)

The INST order just gives you some extra information about the installation (like an ANZ for items), you dont have to do it before a CON order

Most orders are processed in the order you input them so if you dismantle a installation on order 1 you can use its components in order 2 to construct another item.

Also for instance you can load items onto a ship, move it to a colony, ofload them, build a installation etc, as long as thats the order you input your orders it will all work.

Only exception is production and mines generating resources, that happens at the end of the turn.

New setups all now have just the one population group, its correct, everyone ended up just moving the items into the one colony (its much easier to begin with to manage everything as one). In the future you may want to put other colonies (I have a second colony to dump EXP finds I dont really need, keeps colony inventory to a minimum :ranting:

Enjoy your first turns, alot of cool choices, this is a very rich game. Dont worry if you make a mistake, it happens to us all.

I've got to admit.. I'm uber excited and somewhat overwhelmed. "What to build?!" is overriding theme of my thoughts as I peruse the bajillion 14 page list of technology items. Already I'm drowning in spreadsheets, trying to discover that optimum configuration to maximize my output. What all that industrial output is going to end up in I'm not yet sure. I haven't even yet considered what to do with my pathfinders, or what to load up in my RCs. Two weeks might not be enough B)

* No, you do not have to INST before CON

* In the order you gave/edited them. The entry program generates a running order number e.g. 10-400 for the 40 orders. In that order the orders get processed.

X(something) orders get processed on that order the turn you give it. In the following turns it gets executed in a third phase after convoy route execution.

So you can DISM and CON with these components.

For ships you need to have the materials in the stockpile before you can use them to build a(nother) ship.

SCRP orders get processed after the production phase just when new ships get build. So you cannot SCRP and SHIP with the same

materials the same turn.

* No one popgroup is normal nowadays. Actually since a long time. I think only the cores were set up with 5 popgroups (which most consolidated into one the first turn :ranting: )