Rolling Thunder Forums

Beginner's Questions

Viro

Thanks Flagritz and cestvel!

At first I didn't see how I could fill out 40 orders, but once I started splitting up fleets to scan my system and editing my production queue the 40 slots disappeared pretty quickly.

Is it worth EXPLing with a lowly Pathfinder? I know that each time you explore, the chance you'll find something again decreases, so this leads me to believe I shouldn't EXPL my home system until I've got some beefy gear, characters, etc.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I didn't see how I could fill out 40 orders, but once I started splitting up fleets to scan my system and editing my production queue the 40 slots disappeared pretty quickly.

Is it worth EXPLing with a lowly Pathfinder? I know that each time you explore, the chance you'll find something again decreases, so this leads me to believe I shouldn't EXPL my home system until I've got some beefy gear, characters, etc.

With just a pathfinder no.

You need a ship with some cargo bays to store the items you find, a great source early on in the game for weapons, engines, jump survey sensors etc is through EXP, you can build some nice early ships from the stuff you find until you achive the technology to build the items yourself.

Especially important is having at least 25,000 cargo bays, if you find a transwarp drive early on you can build a ship that doesnt stop every time it warps (its really worth it)

Either build a cargo ship and have it work with the pathfinder or build a deciated EXP ship.

Here is a old design that might be useful, its a 200K ship, easy to build from initial tech and has alot of the itmes a good EXP ship needs, add a few good leaders to the ship and you are in business, should be able to churn out a couple of these ships a turn and have them explore different planets :

1 MK I Nuclear Engine

1 Mk I Nuclear Jump Drive

24,800 Fuel Tankage

25 Fuel Shuttle

1 Drone Rack

1 Figther Bay

85,000 Cargo Bay

25 Type A Science Lab

25 Survey Lander

50 Light Magnetic Grapple

50 Mk I Short Range Sensor

WIth everything, modify and make it your own :]

You should have a small freighter with about 25.000 Cargo bays (minimum) in the same fleet as that Pathfinder. Otherwise, they are

pretty good EXPL-ships otherwise.

You should have a small freighter with about 25.000 Cargo bays (minimum) in the same fleet as that Pathfinder. Otherwise, they are

pretty good EXPL-ships otherwise.

Cestval are you always online when I am and do you always do a reply same time as me! people are going to talk about us! :}

I have two Views on this. one is to turtle, do not leave your home system until you are fairly strong, making it hard for other empires to find you until you are ready.

OR leave system early and hope you find a dropped player HW or if trouble is near you see it before it is at your HW.

other facts

HW's appear to be at least 5 apart.

you will be hard pressed to fill 40 orders in your early turns in the game without surveying

I have two Views on this. one is to turtle, do not leave your home system until you are fairly strong, making it hard for other empires to find you until you are ready.

OR leave system early and hope you find a dropped player HW or if trouble is near you see it before it is at your HW.

Isn't it possible to scout systems around you without colonizing them, yet still be a turtle? Obviously you won't be able to explore every Warppoint, but you still should be able to build some EXPL ships and scout out your neighborhood without colonizing and compromising your turtle strategy?

Isn't it possible to scout systems around you without colonizing them, yet still be a turtle? Obviously you won't be able to explore every Warppoint, but you still should be able to build some EXPL ships and scout out your neighborhood without colonizing and compromising your turtle strategy?

Well, your Pathfinders at the WPs are easily spotted by other surveying folks :thumbsup: If you keep them to planets in your system it is less likely.

Well, your Pathfinders at the WPs are easily spotted by other surveying folks :thumbsup: If you keep them to planets in your system it is less likely.

you need to get at least MK II jump survey sensors, as 21 of them will do an E warp point, put an explorer on board and you can go higher.

Also you can build a ship with 30,000 to 50,000 cargo bays, and set it with an X order(standing order) to explore, and it will find items on that planet, including your HW. you can have it off load items to a pop seg or simply move it back to the HW if it gets full.

Everything in this game has a price, exploring out and mapping the galaxy is useful but it includes the risk that someone will spot your ships and know you are in the area. However if you dont scout out they may eventually find you anyway and you will have no early warning and no idea about the galaxy around you.

Without scouting you'll never know if there is any races you can ally with close by or trade with....

Also you will eventually want to set-up research colonies far from your home-world to boost your research and possibly a good mining colony on a rich world....

However by staying put you can focus on building up your homeworld and system.....

choices, choices....

Is there a way to establish a list of FUTURE research priorities?

I noice when one of my RC' s is finished with a project it appears to generate a random project from my list of researchable items. This is often something I am not presently interested in like Improved Black Market Goods.

Is there a way to set up a list of default items to research when sone RC is ready for a new assignment?

Is there a way to establish a list of FUTURE research priorities?

I noice when one of my RC' s is finished with a project it appears to generate a random project from my list of researchable items. This is often something I am not presently interested in like Improved Black Market Goods.

Is there a way to set up a list of default items to research when sone RC is ready for a new assignment?

Unfortunately not, you have to manually update each time a project finishes.

But if you only had that one slot researching the project then that turns research from that slot would have been used on the finished project and no actual research begun on the new project slot so you wont have wasted any research.

It gets a bit tricker if you have multiple RC slots researching the project, Im not sure if the excess research that might have been generated is applied to the new project randomly generated or is lost with the finished project.

Did that make sense? :]

I know of two HWs that were 3 jumps apart so the 5 jump rule isn't as hard and fast as you might think.

Sakarissa :woohoo:

The Circle

In the new regions it seems to be a pretty consistent 6 jumps for back and forth routes.