Rolling Thunder Forums

Beginner's Questions

Viro

I know of two HWs that were 3 jumps apart so the 5 jump rule isn't as hard and fast as you might think.

Sakarissa :woohoo:

The Circle

In the new regions it seems to be a pretty consistent 6 jumps for back and forth routes.

Does that mean I can take 6 hops in any direction and likely end up at a HW, which implies I have a neighbor 6 hops in every direction from me. Or, one/two of the possible routes leads to a neighbor? I guess I am asking: How many neighbors is common?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need a preview of coming attractions.

If I get Improved Steel can I say build a cargo bay with it? If so will it take less than the stand 5 regular steel? Is their such a thing coming as an "improved cargo bay"?

What will "improved CM" get me? Will an item cost less to construct in CM's or just perform better??

I know of two HWs that were 3 jumps apart so the 5 jump rule isn't as hard and fast as you might think.

The Circle

In the new regions it seems to be a pretty consistent 6 jumps for back and forth routes.

Does that mean I can take 6 hops in any direction and likely end up at a HW, which implies I have a neighbor 6 hops in every direction from me. Or, one/two of the possible routes leads to a neighbor? I guess I am asking: How many neighbors is common?

Casey

On average each system opens up two more systems. So no, not every 6 jump route will end in a HW :woohoo:

If you are lucky and catch a one-way (typically an E or higher) you may get to an other HW in only 3 jumps.

I need a preview of coming attractions.

If I get Improved Steel can I say build a cargo bay with it? If so will it take less than the stand 5 regular steel? Is their such a thing coming as an "improved cargo bay"?

What will "improved CM" get me? Will an item cost less to construct in CM's or just perform better??

Nope, you need always the specific material. And you cannot upgrade or break down an item/resource.

The Circle

Or you could find yourself in a location where your current neighbors all drop their positions in the next year. Finding people can be complex; higher end engines transwarp drives will help speed the search for locals, but will take away from all the other neat things you will want to research.

I'm entering GEO orders into the OEP, and it seems there is an extra field that is not not documented in the Orders Supplement.

The field is "Moon". How does this field work?

If i'm moving a fleet to a moon Orbit to perform a GEO, what should I put in that field?

Example:

NM, 101, System, 1

NM, 102, System, 1a

GEO, 101, 0

GEO 102, ??

I'm entering GEO orders into the OEP, and it seems there is an extra field that is not not documented in the Orders Supplement.

If i'm moving a fleet to a moon Orbit to perform a GEO, what should I put in that field?

Example:

NM, 101, System, 1

NM, 102, System, 1a

GEO, 101, 0

GEO 102, ??

You do not need to go to 1a, to 1 would be suffice. Then do a GEO, 102, a to GEO 1a.

The ORB and PMAP work the same, the CSV not, for that one you need to do the NM to 1a first.

Example:

NM, 101, System, 1

NM, 102, System, 1a

GEO, 101, 0

GEO 102, ??

You do not need to go to 1a, to 1 would be suffice. Then do a GEO, 102, a to GEO 1a.

The ORB and PMAP work the same, the CSV not, for that one you need to do the NM to 1a first.

I want to scan both 1 and 1a in the same turn, and since my PFs only have 2APs I have to use two ships to NM and GEO.

What should I put in the "Moon" field for the fleet that is at the moon?

Example:

NM, 101, System, 1

NM, 102, System, 1a

GEO, 101, 0

GEO 102, ??

I want to scan both 1 and 1a in the same turn, and since my PFs only have 2APs I have to use two ships to NM and GEO.

What should I put in the "Moon" field for the fleet that is at the moon?

The letter of the moon. In your example an 'a'.

'0' is always the planet *not* the thing you are orbiting !

My Industrial Production is getting more meessed up with each turn. I see no choice but to try and CLEAR ALL and start over.

Can some one explain the Industrial Productiuon Report to me? I have a number of order I thought I issued for one time production only but they are apoparently trying to be produced each turn after that automatically. They are unchecked in the "tooled box" and were never intended to be a reated production item. What gives? They are all order prioty ZERO since I did not even bother to give them a priority line since they were not "tooled".

I also note a fair number of orders for movement and such from my last turn be processed! I erased ( I thought) all of my orders from last turn and so I could issue all new ones. What gives? Where did they come from?