Rolling Thunder Forums

set up leave yourself at least 1000 points of SRP for getting tech fast. you can go up to 4th level in tech with SRP points. So take some negative items like tiny.

Then start researching and when species engineering opens, research it up to 6th level. At this point you can use the SRP gotten from species engineering to remove all your racial negatives, that you took to get a fast start.

I think the total for all the species engineering is 1800 points, so as long as you do not take more than 1800 points in negatives you can get back to normal human stats or better.

This very good advice.

Nearly all experience players have found themselves in the situation where they desperately had to research Species Engineering advances to rectify some deficiency that they put in their species set-up in order to pick up extra SRPs. Such species handicaps have a distressing tendancy to become important at some point in the game, if you allow yourself to ignore them for too long.

H.S., you and I have both stated that sufficient technology can overcome any biological handicap. (Although we seem to disagree on the implications of that statement.) This is the crudest example of that principal. But a very important one in the SNROTE games system.

Tony

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

set up leave yourself at least 1000 points of SRP for getting tech fast. you can go up to 4th level in tech with SRP points. So take some negative items like tiny.

Then start researching and when species engineering opens, research it up to 6th level. At this point you can use the SRP gotten from species engineering to remove all your racial negatives, that you took to get a fast start.

I think the total for all the species engineering is 1800 points, so as long as you do not take more than 1800 points in negatives you can get back to normal human stats or better.

If you end up spending all your saved SRPs on species engineering tech, why bother saving the SRPs at all?

If you end up spending all your saved SRPs on species engineering tech, why bother saving the SRPs at all?

He's saying that you need to use the early turns, when you are unlikely to bump into anyone, building up your research points up to level 6 to make up for using SETUP points giving your tech a fast forward jump start.

Any points you have left after setup can be used to complete research instantly

There are 25 research center, the first one will use any SRP points you have left to complete that item

level one itmes cost 3 points

l2 12 points

L3 27 points

L4 48 points

Anything higher SRP can not be used on.

So if you have about 1000 points left,

you could use them to get Jump sensors or engines or a 4 th gen weapon in just 4 turns

Or get 3rd gen Industry.

What ever your goals are, there is a tech tree up to second gen industry on the board from the PA.

every turn you will be able to put one item in slot 1 and have that research completed the next turn.

What a lot of people have done is create a Brain in a jar race, for fast research, then later in the game fix the race with species engineering.

So in the end the more points you keep the more lines of research you can get up to 4th gen fast. It is sort of a guess what that number is I like about 1000.

So in the end the more points you keep the more lines of research you can get up to 4th gen fast. It is sort of a guess what that number is I like about 1000.

Ah.. so it takes 42+27+12=81 saved SRP to get to species engineering level 4. Then you can put a couple RCs on it and research it regularly, and by the time you meet your neighbors (after 25 or so turns) you will have been able to get species engineering to level 6 and 'corrected' the negatives you took when designing your lifeform.

Is that correct?

If so, 81 points isn't that many if you originally save 1000 from your lifeform design. Seems like brain blob is the way to go?

Ah.. so it takes 42+27+12=81 saved SRP to get to species engineering level 4. Then you can put a couple RCs on it and research it regularly, and by the time you meet your neighbors (after 25 or so turns) you will have been able to get species engineering to level 6 and 'corrected' the negatives you took when designing your lifeform.

Is that correct?

If so, 81 points isn't that many if you originally save 1000 from your lifeform design. Seems like brain blob is the way to go?

It will take some more to reach 4th generation species engineering. The thing has got prereq's that you also need to have researched before you can research the tech itself.

Calamaran.

Is that correct?

It is more complex. As Calamaran notes, there are prereqs. In addition, only techs up to "4th level" can be researched by spending SRP points. Beyond that, you need to use your RCs. For example, you can buy up to 4th gen Civil Engineering (a 4th level tech) but 5th and 6th gen require you to actually research them.

Edit:Good point Virmilyn. I changed generation to level where appropriate.

Is that correct?

It is more complex. As Calamaran notes, there are prereqs. In addition, only techs up to "4th generation" can be researched by spending SRP points. Beyond that, you need to use your RCs. For Example, you can buy up to 4th gen Civil Engineering but 5th and 6th gen require you to actually research them.

We should use the word 'Level' when talking about the tech tree. Using the name of the tech itself is getting confusing.

So, you can use your left over setup points, saved SRPs, to get up to level 4 of the tech tree. In some cases it is the 4th Generation of a tech. In other cases you can not get to even the 1st generation of a tech.

The saved SRPs are an excellent way to get a jump on some things if you can not wait for normal research.

I would suggest getting some research bonus in your setup. It will pay off in the long run. I know of empires in the third year catching up to empires in there fifth year tech wise.

It is more complex. As Calamaran notes, there are prereqs. In addition, only techs up to "4th generation" can be researched by spending SRP points. Beyond that, you need to use your RCs. For Example, you can buy up to 4th gen Civil Engineering but 5th and 6th gen require you to actually research them.

So in general, is it better to use your SRPs to research up to one/two/several 4th level techs, or spread them out evenly?

So in general, is it better to use your SRPs to research up to one/two/several 4th level techs, or spread them out evenly?

Depends on your style of play.

Turtle - go for economics

Explorer - go for jump survey sensors

War Monger - Weapons/Shields/Engines

We should use the word 'Level' when talking about the tech tree. Using the name of the tech itself is getting confusing.

So, you can use your left over setup points, saved SRPs, to get up to level 4 of the tech tree. In some cases it is the 4th Generation of a tech. In other cases you can not get to even the 1st generation of a tech.

The saved SRPs are an excellent way to get a jump on some things if you can not wait for normal research.

I would suggest getting some research bonus in your setup. It will pay off in the long run. I know of empires in the third year catching up to empires in there fifth year tech wise.

If you place 5th level tech in the RC 1 slot and still have SRPs will those SRPs get used in slot 2 or saved until you put a 4th lvl or below tech in slot 1?

If you place 5th level tech in the RC 1 slot and still have SRPs will those SRPs get used in slot 2 or saved until you put a 4th lvl or below tech in slot 1?

The system will attempt to complete the first project at level 4 or lower that it encounters in your research queue, scanning from the top, down. If NONE of your current research projects are level 4 or lower, then it will save your remaining points for future use.

At the start of the game an item put into research in a single slot gets one point subtracted from what you need to get the research with MAX research bonus it is 1.5

SO

Level 1 item takes 3 points or 3 turns normal or 2 turns with max bonus

level 2 item takes 12 points or 12 turns normal or 8 turns with max bonus

So having SRP left makes a BIG start with 1000 SRP that is at least 44 items you will get on 1 turn.

As you can see Srp is Very important, and research saves you about 1 third of the time

You can combine slots, and say put a single item in the first 4 slots or all 25 but you do not get 25 points a turn there is a formula, which I can not remember off the top of my head, but the more slots the less effective each slot is, I do recall that with max research bonus, 4 slots in an item, gives 3 points a turn to that item.

Later in the game, after you have a lot of characters, scientists are the MAIN element in research. SO make sure how ever you race design as to Corporate Technocracy with science, TECH is in there some where. This part of the setup can be changed at any time with Revo order )revolution.

So a level 6 items takes 108 points, or 108 turns with normal bonus or 72 turns with max research

A long time. As the scientists kick in though IE you have a good amount of scientists and they have had time to advance to MASTER level, you can get that item in a single turn by putting it in 9 or so slots.

In conclusion, at the start of a new empire SRP and research bonus are KING, Later on only CHARACTERS matter. And this is true for production of mines also.

It's up to you to make those choices. Good luck in your future endeavors against a lifeform that has taken the ground combats system a bit more seriously and are physically tougher than you are. You will need it.

But that is not my point. My issue is not with how ground combat works in SN. RTG can simulate any virtual world they want in any way they want. My issue is that I don't understand why they chose a virtual world where physical characteristics would play a dominant role in planetary conquest. That is much more a fantasy virtual world than a scifi world. SN is advertised as a scifi game and in a scifi context one tries to to provide at least scientifically plausible scenarios. Having planetary conquest driven by lifeform characterisitcs just does not seem plausible for a species at a tech level capable of galatic conquest. [Having it driven by WWI technologies also seems implausible, but that's a different issue...]

It's up to you to make those choices. Good luck in your future endeavors against a lifeform that has taken the ground combats system a bit more seriously and are physically tougher than you are. You will need it.

But that is not my point. My issue is not with how ground combat works in SN. RTG can simulate any virtual world they want in any way they want. My issue is that I don't understand why they chose a virtual world where physical characteristics would play a dominant role in planetary conquest. That is much more a fantasy virtual world than a scifi world. SN is advertised as a scifi game and in a scifi context one tries to to provide at least scientifically plausible scenarios. Having planetary conquest driven by lifeform characterisitcs just does not seem plausible for a species at a tech level capable of galatic conquest. [Having it driven by WWI technologies also seems implausible, but that's a different issue...]

It seems pretty straight-forward to me. A Tyrannosaurus with power armour and a plasma rifle beats a mouse in power armour with a plasma rifle.