Rolling Thunder Forums

Semjan

Gary Carpenter

I had not previously responded to Gary's initial challenge, largely because I saw absolutely no point in confirming for the enemy how much population we controlled, and where it was. Still don't, for that matter.

And knowing Gary's fabled ability to jump to conclusions, I felt sure that our silence would guarantee that he would end up thinking that we had access to more resources than we really do. No harm in that, I thought. Although, honestly I think he may have hit a personal best in the "Conclusions High Jump" this time around.

And then, I am a bit ashamed to admit, there was the entertainment value. And seeing Gary go all apoplectic was well worth this turn's processing fees for me.

But now that things have descended into name-calling, the acrimony level of this thread has advanced well beyond my comfort level. Is there any chance we can all tone down the rhetoric a bit? Last I checked this was still just a game.

:cheers::thumbsup::cheers::rolleyes:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had not previously responded to Gary's initial challenge, largely because I saw absolutely no point in confirming for the enemy how much population we controlled, and where it was. Still don't, for that matter.

And knowing Gary's fabled ability to jump to conclusions, I felt sure that our silence would guarantee that he would end up thinking that we had access to more resources than we really do. No harm in that, I thought. Although, honestly I think he may have hit a personal best in the "Conclusions High Jump" this time around.

And then, I am a bit ashamed to admit, there was the entertainment value. And seeing Gary go all apoplectic was well worth this turn's processing fees for me.

But now that things have descended into name-calling, the acrimony level of this thread has advanced well beyond my comfort level. Is there any chance we can all tone down the rhetoric a bit? Last I checked this was still just a game.

Is there any chance you can say if the GM added pop to semjan?

"Still don't, for that matter."

:thumbsup::unsure::thumbsup::jawdrop:

"Still don't, for that matter."

so much for really wanting the tone to change.

Agreed....for the gate to work within the rules of the game , there have to be the powerplants , and then there has to be pop to man the plants....also there is the 5 million ACM the gate is built out of .....the world would still have to have installations of some sort left after the evacuation....is the world were completely bare of everything, and the material was not removed with ships , then whoever removed said materials did not do so legally . Is that so hard to understand?

I don't have a dog in this particular fight and I don't know who if anyone did what where, nor am I accusing Gary or anyone else specific with cheating, but I agree with this philosophy. Play the game, not the game system. It is not ethical to exploit major bugs in the system. I am getting the impression there are players that actively search for bugs in the game engine and when they find one share it with their like minded friends and gleefully exploit it as long as possible giving themselves a huge advantage over the honest players. If this impression is true, I would certainly urge the game master to make whatever corrections necessary to put things right.

Have some honor in your gaming. If you want to play a bad guy stabbing people in the back, surprise attacks, etc. WITHIN THE GAME RULES, knock yourself out, but exploiting major bugs/loopholes that the GM obviously did not intend is not cool. If in doubt, ask the GM.

Gating things to/from planets without gates = Not cool.

Knowingly gating without sufficient power to run the gate = Not cool.

Gating to a younger empire without any direct contact to that empire = Not cool.

Converting an entire homeworld population to troopers = Not cool.

Personally I think stripping a homeworld bare via a gate (except for the gate itself and gate power plants etc.) is totally unbelievable and shouldn't be allowed, but since it is legal within the game system, I can't fault someone for doing that. I do think this is bad for the game and would like to see the system changed to discourage this without crippling gates in general.

We don't really see the problem with converting pop to troopers, either. If you have enough industry to convert POP*100000 tons of materiel, more power to you.

Erm, there is no materials envolved in creating troopers, just one colonist. So you could build 600.000 troopers (a HW population),

with 100 AIC.

But at least, the conquerer can now build 600.000 new divisions :jawdrop:

The population are the materials. Each one weighs 50k tons, so converting a pop to a trooper requires ][100k. If we have 600k pop, it would take

][60B tons of industrial input to convert them. Do-able, but not cheap.

The population are the materials. Each one weighs 50k tons, so converting a pop to a trooper requires ][100k. If we have 600k pop, it would take

I am pretty sure they do not use up 50k. But I will check that on my next results.

Why would it weigh 50k anyway? 1 colonists uses up one colony bay and one colony bay is only 10k.

The finished product does not count on used IC-Points, only the resources that go in.

We don't really see the problem with converting pop to troopers, either. If you have enough industry to convert POP*100000 tons of materiel, more power to you.

Erm, there is no materials envolved in creating troopers, just one colonist. So you could build 600.000 troopers (a HW population),

with 100 AIC.

You are correct.

Maybe it is 10k. Been a while since we felt the need to send our ground combat troops to their grisly deaths in this "war" thing you are all so fond of.

Also, we forgot the CTRN order doesn't require industrial capacity.

I am pretty sure they do not use up 50k. But I will check that on my next results.

Why would it weigh 50k anyway? 1 colonists uses up one colony bay and one colony bay is only 10k.

The finished product does not count on used IC-Points, only the resources that go in.