Rolling Thunder Forums

Semjan

Gary Carpenter

Wow, so much name-calling, finger-pointing, and blame-gaming. How sad.

I still think Supernova should be rebooted. So much of it wasn't implemented when it started and it took so long to get implemented. And some things, like religious prayers, seem to not be implemented at all. I liked the fact that he added in new weapon systems but they should have been in there from the beginning.

My vote is to end the current version. Give RTG 3-5 months to clean up the code and implement everything fully. Clean up the databases and maybe convert it to a more robust box and DB system. This would also allow things to be fixed like the wormhole issue. A simple check on the alliance settings between the owner of the wormhole and the potential transitter. If both have the other declared as "Total Ally" then the transfer happens and the Caldaran gets used. This is just one example. The whole hullabaloo over screens and flag bridges is another example. I would like to see cloaking devices fully implemented for ships (with limited orders available to them).

This would give everyone a clean slate and the level of apoplexy would hopefully drop.

Sakarissa :ranting:

The Circle

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, so much name-calling, finger-pointing, and blame-gaming. How sad.

I still think Supernova should be rebooted. So much of it wasn't implemented when it started and it took so long to get implemented. And some things, like religious prayers, seem to not be implemented at all. I liked the fact that he added in new weapon systems but they should have been in there from the beginning.

My vote is to end the current version. Give RTG 3-5 months to clean up the code and implement everything fully. Clean up the databases and maybe convert it to a more robust box and DB system. This would also allow things to be fixed like the wormhole issue. A simple check on the alliance settings between the owner of the wormhole and the potential transitter. If both have the other declared as "Total Ally" then the transfer happens and the Caldaran gets used. This is just one example. The whole hullabaloo over screens and flag bridges is another example. I would like to see cloaking devices fully implemented for ships (with limited orders available to them).

This would give everyone a clean slate and the level of apoplexy would hopefully drop.

The Circle

And how do Pete and Russ pay bills in the meantime?

My main empire is one of the oldest ones since I started it on the ground floor. I also have 2 other empires that I run. They aren't quite as old. I would lose out on all that time and money just like everyone else. However, I did get hours and hours of enjoyment out of that time and money.

I think a reboot would be good. All the loopholes would be fixed at the get go. Other things that should be implemented would be. I think the game is starting to enter the end phase. As more and more HWs get "borg'd" the number of active empires are going to drop. *shrug* The game is going to eventually be rebooted anyway. Ask yourself if you want to play a gaming system that has been patched so much it looks like a string of redneck-owned christmas lights or a gaming system that is purring along like a high-end performance car engine that has been well built? What would you rather spend your money on? Hmmmm?

The Circle

My main empire is one of the oldest ones since I started it on the ground floor. I also have 2 other empires that I run. They aren't quite as old. I would lose out on all that time and money just like everyone else. However, I did get hours and hours of enjoyment out of that time and money.

I think a reboot would be good. All the loopholes would be fixed at the get go. Other things that should be implemented would be. I think the game is starting to enter the end phase. As more and more HWs get "borg'd" the number of active empires are going to drop. *shrug* The game is going to eventually be rebooted anyway. Ask yourself if you want to play a gaming system that has been patched so much it looks like a string of redneck-owned christmas lights or a gaming system that is purring along like a high-end performance car engine that has been well built? What would you rather spend your money on? Hmmmm?

The Circle

Why a reboot? Just start a second region with all the new stuff added in and fixed. I bet a lot will just play another position there as well.

The Circle

Why a reboot? Just start a second region with all the new stuff added in and fixed. I bet a lot will just play another position there as well.

Supernova: The Andromeda Galaxy.

Before a complete reboot is done , if anything , then I would easily favor a second region well before a reboot . I don't really want to completely start out all over again . This has been done before that two regions run at the same time ( hehe , Pete would probably go nuts if two regions ran at the same time ...)

Before a complete reboot is done , if anything , then I would easily favor a second region well before a reboot . I don't really want to completely start out all over again . This has been done before that two regions run at the same time ( hehe , Pete would probably go nuts if two regions ran at the same time ...)

It's an interesting thought but it seems quite unlikely. Blend and I are doing quite nicely and truly enjoying ourselves having built ourselves up to our current position and I'd hate to see that all just disappear. I'm sure there are a number of other people out there who feel the same way. Besides, as cestvel pondered, how would Russ and Pete pay the bills during the 'down period'?

I have spent (a roughly estimated) $2,000 on this game over three years so far. Others in it far longer than me have spent much more than that. I would be rather upset if that time and money was written off and we were all expected to start again, no matter what the rationale.

Exactly , I am running 5 positions , thank you , and there is no way in hell that I would want a reset and have to start over again . If RTG wants to run a region concurrent with the present one , then I am sure I would run one position in that region with no problem . I have only been playing since January 2008 , but the older positions are doing between 2-3 turn sheets , and the younger ones are doing 1-2 sheets , so my investment in the positions is not little . I believe back when SNII was running , then RTG was running multiple regions...but there were actual employees doing turn inputs, so it was more than two people running the show .

I think this is nothing more than a part-time gig for Pete at best. If this was his sole source of income then he would be more concerned about the thoughts of his customers and how well things worked. If he was working diligently on just some of the things that seem to be incomplete do you really think it would take six years? This is easy money for a guy who has to go without sleep every other weekend.

Reboot. I kinda like the idea, but this is also from someone who recently stopped caring about the game. Maybe this feeling will pass as it has previously, maybe it won't. I realized the other day when pricing a new/bigger shed that I could have had a real state-of-the-art one built by professionals while I sipped ice water and watched it being built for what I've spent on a game that I not sure I know how to play. After six years.

There won't be a reboot. But if there is, I walk away. I may still walk away, but the screwed up system, lack of answers and other normal aspects of this game but will continue to be normal.

If this game were stock, I'd have dumped it long ago.

I just realized I have spent 480 orders per turn since Jan. Is that stupid or sad?

He who is indifferent.

I just realized I have spent 480 orders per turn since Jan. Is that stupid or sad?

He who is indifferent.

Wow!!!! :thumbsup: I can understand why you migt feel that way. I have never exceeded half that many orders on any turn in the last five years and I am still having fun. I have some great allies and a nice little empire. I would hate to see that disappear so I would prefer the new region rather than a hardware reset.

I would probably not start in the new region though. It just takes too dang long to get the empire up to a certain size.

I think this is nothing more than a part-time gig for Pete at best. If this was his sole source of income then he would be more concerned about the thoughts of his customers and how well things worked. If he was working diligently on just some of the things that seem to be incomplete do you really think it would take six years? This is easy money for a guy who has to go without sleep every other weekend.

Reboot. I kinda like the idea, but this is also from someone who recently stopped caring about the game. Maybe this feeling will pass as it has previously, maybe it won't. I realized the other day when pricing a new/bigger shed that I could have had a real state-of-the-art one built by professionals while I sipped ice water and watched it being built for what I've spent on a game that I not sure I know how to play. After six years.

There won't be a reboot. But if there is, I walk away. I may still walk away, but the screwed up system, lack of answers and other normal aspects of this game but will continue to be normal.

If this game were stock, I'd have dumped it long ago.

He who is indifferent.

I understand. If I didn't have allies, I would have dropped. If there is a restart, I also walk away. If there is an 'alternate' region, I will not join.

Cheers.

You guys drank the pink Koolaid

Har har Gary dontcha meen the grape kool aid? Hopin you PA types fancy grape