Rolling Thunder Forums

The New Victory

miraeng

Russ,

How about instead of ending all the current games at the current stage, but rather putting them on 'hold' until a viable solution is achieved?

Hi Russ

I think if it were possible I'd like to finish Game 82

I was ready to take over the lead

Ok Ok

Not quite

Not even!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great ideas, esp. the split-stack attack.

As a new player (hey, we're supposed to be in a post-expert culture nowadays where naivity is prized...!), here's my wishlist:

1. Abolish the requirement for MCR within home countries. Your entire home country effectively becomes one big AIC net, with automatic transfer of resources etc for builds & supply (provided the city/province in question isn't isolated.) Does away with all those fiddly home mcr's, BUT mcr would still be necessary for any transfer outside your own country. That way, mcr becomes essentially a logistical supply chain relating to invasion and combat, maintaining the need to protect your supply chain during invasion & the opportunity for your opponent to interdict it, but feels less like playing a spreadsheet when adjusting home requirements!

2. Blue-skies dept: Integrate the map into the results output. Besides the printed tables, a series of maps could display current disposition of forces, currrrent pop, fixed defences, rail capacity, current resources including food and IMDL/ADL, etc. I appreciate this would require lots more programming, but it's entirely do-able in principle (given a machine more advanced than a 1991 Mac... :alien2: )

3. Presumably new Victory! = new rules. I'd prefer a single rules file, searchable and ideally hypertext-linked within itself.

4. And World Peace. Oh, OK, given the nature of the game, maybe not...

I read many good rule changes and want to add a feature that we had at the PBMExpress in the early 90'ties, instead of fixed processing dates flexible dates with a minimum of 10 day's between processing. This ment that you could go forwards and backwards with you're day of proccessing in turns, offering much more flexebility for TA's and less turns missed.

The various posts that have advocated making armies up from various battalians, regiments, and divisions has a lot of attractions to me. Allowing me to beef up the artllery level of an army leading an attack or the anti-tank strength of a infantry army trying to defend a vital province would give me a lot more flexibility to deal with various threats and add some PUNCH to my main offensive drives.

It also appears to have a solution for the balance of long/short range aircraft and tactical/stratetegic air missions. The core of my thiinnking comes from the way the Soviet army/air force assigned its fighter and stormivik IL-2 bombers DIRECTLY to an army (or front more accurately)

What if all tactical missions are eliminated from the OMA order and instead all Ground support and fighter cover gropus are assigned to an army? The army would be given a AA strength based on fighters assigned to it and a Tactical air rating based on Ground support (which would also largely be influenced by the fighters ability to secure local air superiority) and would aid an armies attack and defense. Short range aircraft and fighters assigned to armies would not use airbases but be assigned to the armiy and travel with it.

The OMA orders as we understand them would be for strategic missions only. Strategic bombing, NMI, etc.. the FC mission would be targeteted against ANY enemy air force that crossed through a fighter groups coverage path. this would allow a German fighter to intercept over the Netherlands a british bomber.s on the way to Berlin on one turn and on the way to Franffurt on another turn.

This would also finally allow the useless Night Intercepttor to be given a role.

This idea diarrhea calls for some easy to use and navigate MoSCoW 'feature' tool with option for voting, feasibility, and commenting on them. Anybody any insights in such a tool?

NB MoSCoW of course being the abbreviation for Must have, Should have, Could have, Would have...

This idea diarrhea calls for some easy to use and navigate MoSCoW 'feature' tool with option for voting, feasibility, and commenting on them. Anybody any insights in such a tool?

NB MoSCoW of course being the abbreviation for Must have, Should have, Could have, Would have...

I tried to organize things a bit by creating separate threads for various topics and numbering the ideas, but people seem to prefer launching their ideas into the void in this thread. :thumbsup:

I tried to organize things a bit by creating separate threads for various topics and numbering the ideas, but people seem to prefer launching their ideas into the void in this thread. :thumbsup:

That's because the Victory! forum only links to this thread, and not to the other topics in the game development forum. So most readers only find out about your grouping after they posted here, or they never find out at all.

That's because the Victory! forum only links to this thread, and not to the other topics in the game development forum. So most readers only find out about your grouping after they posted here, or they never find out at all.

Hmmm, good point. Not much I can do about it, though.

--rail strikes are too effective. 3000 rail blown out a turn takes 20 turns to rebuild. maybe disable the rail for a number of turns or be able to repair rail for cash to what it was before the air attack. the rail is still there just temporarily disabled

I knew you did not like that :thumbsup:

however seen the size of the bomber fleets this is rather realistic... and over here it cost us 10 years to build 200 kilometers of rail road....

B

1. Abolish the requirement for MCR within home countries. Your entire home country effectively becomes one big AIC net, with automatic transfer of resources etc for builds & supply (provided the city/province in question isn't isolated.) Does away with all those fiddly home mcr's, BUT mcr would still be necessary for any transfer outside your own country. That way, mcr becomes essentially a logistical supply chain relating to invasion and combat, maintaining the need to protect your supply chain during invasion & the opportunity for your opponent to interdict it, but feels less like playing a spreadsheet when adjusting home requirements!

To be honest, I don't agree with this one. Having one AIC makes it to tricky and to easy.

I do agree however that this mcr work can be boring especially in the larger nations, so maybe we can make a standing order mcr that transports a fixed amount from A to B.

B

some ideas of my own...

I would like to introduce the concept of 'brigades' like building blocks that could be used to design your own divisions. So you could for exampling add additional hvy armor to make a real hvy tank division, or add extra anti tank to do the opposit for defense, etc etc...Maybe every player could design a # of 'special'divisions.

Other thing that always strikes me is the cost of naval warfare. basically it's hugly expensive both to build as well as to move fleets. To make this more dinamic we may want to reduce the costs. I also would like to see a bigger role for naval attack planes. who builds them? really no one, becasue it is just as effective to strike them with land planes. so make navel strike planes more effective and at the same time make naval air defens larger. Ah and finally make subs more usefull..in the 10 games or so i played i do not think any sub of mine hit anything at anytime.

split attacks, sdg as standing order, Fighter cover over TA's and retreats to any availlable bordering location seem the best ideas so far to me.

B

• 3 months later...
- An OMG where you attack with only part of an army, leaving the rest of the stack for another action, like a city attack. A sort of "split"attack.

+1.

- Make supply drawing a standing order for each unit that withou General supply at the end of the turn. Only General Supply and not more than 1 turn worth of supply.

Or at least make newly constructed divisions draw supplies automatically, I tend to foget that very often, ending up with damaged new units.

And I can't imagine why anyone would want to create a new division while not supplying them.

I like the idea of newly built ground units automatically drawing supplies, but I see a possible problem... if the new ground units grab all of the GEN,

any Air Forces in the city will suffer at the end of the turn. Instead of having to remember to Supply Draw Ground, you will have to remember to build

supply depots. Maybe Russ could have the automatic Supply Draw Ground happen after the Air Forces draw their GEN?

and given the historical nature of the air force you could always move the Air Gen to occur at both the start and the end phases of a turn, again before any auto army gen replenishment (think of all films showing air behind the lines and officers getting their groundstaff to get supplies......)

- An OMG where you attack with only part of an army, leaving the rest of the stack for another action, like a city attack. A sort of "split"attack.

+1.

- Make supply drawing a standing order for each unit that withou General supply at the end of the turn. Only General Supply and not more than 1 turn worth of supply.

Or at least make newly constructed divisions draw supplies automatically, I tend to foget that very often, ending up with damaged new units.

And I can't imagine why anyone would want to create a new division while not supplying them.

I like the idea of newly built ground units automatically drawing supplies, but I see a possible problem... if the new ground units grab all of the GEN,

any Air Forces in the city will suffer at the end of the turn. Instead of having to remember to Supply Draw Ground, you will have to remember to build

supply depots. Maybe Russ could have the automatic Supply Draw Ground happen after the Air Forces draw their GEN?

and given the historical nature of the air force you could always move the Air Gen to occur at both the start and the end phases of a turn, again before any auto army gen replenishment (think of all films showing air behind the lines and officers getting their groundstaff to get supplies......)

Or instead of doing a SDG ALL, just have the unit 'built' with one turns worth of GEN and consider it the cost of building the unit. Then next turn, when you can use the unit, you can SDG whatever you feel is appropiate.

• 3 months later...

Here's another one. Research centers.

So instead of automatically getting a unit at a certain tech level, each nation will have to assign points or research centers to get units. so one nation may invest heavily in Heavy Tanks, but be behind in Infantry, or Fighters or BB etc. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to do this, but I got the idea from Supernova. Each country gets so many research centers (RC), say 10, each turn you can assign each RC to a technology or unit until you complete it. Each tech has prerequisites you have to research first. So, you couldn't get INF 40 until you research INF 39. The research could also combine other areas besides just units. For example, the different TPL lvls could be part of the research. So maybe to get the B-29 HB, you need to research B-24j and Strategic Bombing 10.

Research could also be applies to factories or resources. You get improved air factories and your factories produce 11 air points instead of 10?

Advanced petroleum research allows you to produce an extra 25% from your oil wells, so a PET production of 100 would now produce 125 PET.

etc., etc. you get the idea.

This would also add a little more variety to the game instead of checking, and saying, 'ok, he has German tech and its tech lvl 8, so he now has Ju-88a-4s" Well, maybe his reseach didn't allow it yet.

Maybe even cross techs, so I may have US tech air, but British BBs? Just depends on what I research.

Thoughts? comments?