Rolling Thunder Forums

Dutch vs USA

Super Mario

victeam_o3.png

I shure hate to be Czechoslovakia in the first option. And you do make a distinction between countries that are in the thick of the action right away, and countries that have to work hard to get to the frontline. In an all-out war green is doomed.

You could swap Austria and Czechoslovakia. I do not think green is doomed. They have two of the three Russias on their side, which gives them huge population, and they have all the balkan light ore, which is huge. Strategically, they have some drawbacks, of course. Poland goes there, I added it in on an edit.

I would play any of those options, with any country. Not sure about the 4 teams.

I suppose we could have Western US, Eastern US, Dutch and rest of the world.

Oh, and just as a side note on this possible scenario, if given the option on the USA/Canada, I would rather play Canada with British Tech than the USA. Just throwing that out there as an option.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think you take 20 Americans and 20 dutch and assign them perfectly randomly. No one gets to choose countries. If you don't like what you land with, you can trade up if someone on your team quits and pull in a replacement player of appropriate nationality if your old country is still playable. Players in the game should get first choice in this case. The usual four or five man interlocking TAs can join to cooperate and reform as situations dictate. This requires no rule changes and only two set-up changes. 1) totally random initial setup. No country preferences. 2) easier change of leadership for dropped countries. I also like the victory conditions of simultaneously possessing 30 capitals rather than having a set end date. If accomplished early enough, the game reverts to a normal victory game with normal rules and victory conditions. The winning Dutch or American team gets bragging rights of course. If it goes to turn 73, we have to average victory points for the 20 countries that start on each team. Dead countries would be a big negative so teams should try to keep everyone in play.

The only fly in the ointment is if the randomness makes it unplayable. Russ may have to run a model or two until it is playable. Some countries will still be in serious jeapardy in this random arrangement, but that is the fun. They can pull resources from teammates in that case though. I like that better than the block arrangement where there is a lot of boring prep getting to the front or conquering neutrals until turn 20. Might as well be in the thick of it from the start. If you do well enough, your team may ask you back to play a dropped position later.

In any event, I will be done with the MBA when this is ready to start so count me in. I am another Texan if we have subteams on the USA team.

I like the idea of :

regionalism (i.e, europeans vs USA

or USA vs ROTW

either 10 vs 10 or 12 vs 12, or even many 4-5 ta groups

but I really like the idea of RUSS deciding who plays with who - who is TA'd with who. like an arranged marriage (ok, Mormon, maybe) or perhaps a better metaphor, who is at your dinner table.

too many players start the games together and dont get forced to TA with people. group TA starts could be interesting. learn new tactics, teach other players, mix it up a bit.

I realize most, if not all of you may have already settled on a general plan for how this game may proceed. I just thought I’d throw out this idea with two possible map setups. I devised these groups back in the 90’s as a possible game idea where the groups (and the TA’s) were already set in stone.

The 10 four man group setup left open the idea that each nation would either not be allowed a fifth TA, or each nation could pick another nation in another group as their last TA. In the 8 five man group setup, all your TA’s would already be filled of course.

The twist with what you all are proposing is that you could join the 10 or 8 groups into two large blocks, but the TA restrictions listed above would still be in place.

Maybe my group ideas in either the 10 or 8 team setup would work for this specific game you are all proposing. I just thought I'd throw it out there as another possible option. In both setups, each team has their share of strengths and weaknesses, both initially and long term, but then the regular game of Victory with each nation on it's own has the same situation.

10 Four Man Teams Setup

73760_1639006453464_1185868088_1788346_6487561_n.jpg

If you wanted to group the teams in two super teams, you could split them in the following manner:

Blue, Pink, Tan, Purple, Red

VS

Yellow, Brown, Lime Green, Baby Blue, Kelly Green

8 Five Man Teams Setup

37182_1639003453389_1185868088_1788345_7169654_n.jpg

If you wanted to group these teams in two super teams, you could split them in the following manner:

Green, Tan, Brown, Purple

VS

Blue, Red, Yellow, Baby Blue

Personally, I think you take 20 Americans and 20 dutch and assign them perfectly randomly. No one gets to choose countries. If you don't like what you land with, you can trade up if someone on your team quits and pull in a replacement player of appropriate nationality if your old country is still playable. Players in the game should get first choice in this case. The usual four or five man interlocking TAs can join to cooperate and reform as situations dictate. This requires no rule changes and only two set-up changes. 1) totally random initial setup. No country preferences. 2) easier change of leadership for dropped countries. I also like the victory conditions of simultaneously possessing 30 capitals rather than having a set end date. If accomplished early enough, the game reverts to a normal victory game with normal rules and victory conditions. The winning Dutch or American team gets bragging rights of course. If it goes to turn 73, we have to average victory points for the 20 countries that start on each team. Dead countries would be a big negative so teams should try to keep everyone in play.

The only fly in the ointment is if the randomness makes it unplayable. Russ may have to run a model or two until it is playable. Some countries will still be in serious jeapardy in this random arrangement, but that is the fun. They can pull resources from teammates in that case though. I like that better than the block arrangement where there is a lot of boring prep getting to the front or conquering neutrals until turn 20. Might as well be in the thick of it from the start. If you do well enough, your team may ask you back to play a dropped position later.

In any event, I will be done with the MBA when this is ready to start so count me in. I am another Texan if we have subteams on the USA team.

I like that, decide two sets of 20, and then randomly populate each set with members of that team. 20 vs 20, but it is up to you to figure out TA's and what not.

- Andy

I like that, decide two sets of 20, and then randomly populate each set with members of that team. 20 vs 20, but it is up to you to figure out TA's and what not.

- Andy

I'd prefer a team captain on each side to help coordinate who gets what country to help facilitate the groups.

I'm still relatively new to all this idea. There seems to be some amount of discussion about who should (or shouldn't) be in this game. I'm curious, the 'Team Leader' issue aside, who would each of you most like to see on your team? List your top 5 choices for who you'd like to work most closely with and or simply have on your side in a game like this. It's probably more constructive if you list people that are still active in Victory.

Guest Spongebob

There must be enough people now to compile a list of who is who. As the chances are I will not be playing and would prefer the role of game commentator I will compile the names so far and see where we stand.

Report back later

• 1 month later...