Rolling Thunder Forums

Few Questions on Game Mechanics

Grand Inquisitor

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Planetary Fortress or Orbital fortress????

Could someone please elaborate on the functions and purposes of these two items?

which one (or both) will engage enemy ships when they move to my homeworld?

which one (or both) engage the enemy in battle when they unload some ground troops on my homeworld??

Will a planetary fortress help in ground combat at all???

I make orbitals and tow them to the warp point. That way my entire waiting fleet can engage the enemy fleet piecemeal. They will come in a few at a time and I will be firing with my entire fleet. If you wait until they reach your homeworld, they will have their full fleet as well.

Yes Orbitals are best used to 'blockade' the entry warp point of a system you want to defend. They are really nice if the system has only has 1 warp point going in. You could concievably make the system impregnable by towing enough of them to the entry point to completely overwhelm

any ships trying to make transit under combat conditions. The large ships trying to make transit need to have very small warp bubbles or they will

come in piece meal and get torn to shreds and if the warp point on the other side is of very small size then the the only other option is a MASSIVE

gunboat/drone warp point assault so don't forget to put plenty of fighter bays and drone racks of your own on your Orbitals or PLENTY of CIDS systems.