Rolling Thunder Forums

Draco: Real or Fake News? Discuss...

Sandarbian

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, RTGPete said:

CIDS on a ship will indeed contribute to the CIDS total for their side for purposes of destroying enemy fighters, drones and gunboats.  For defensive purposes (reducing incoming damage), they apply only to their own ship.

This sounds like the total Fleet CIDS Umbrella fires at the total of the incoming fighter, drone, etc., force (killing some). Then each ship (with CIDS) will fire at whatever fighter, drones, etc., are attacking that ship.

Yes? Sorta? No?

Hate the question, not the Questioner :D 

Right about the fleet umbrella but I think having CIDS on a ship will reduce a percentage of the missile damage that ship would take dependent on the following formula.  

This works for all defensive systems by the way. 

Divide 100 by the following

(cids rating x the # of CIDS))/tonnage) + 1

so lets take a 500000 ton CA  with 2500 pulse laser CIDS

thats 200 x 2500/500000 =1+1 for 2

now divide 100/2 and you get 50

the 2500 Pulse Laser CIDS will mitigate incoming missile damage by 50% then your DL defensive bonus is applied and then what’s left hits your shields and then hull armor. If I’m wrong I’m sure Pete will say so. ?

30 minutes ago, The Fremen said:

Right about the fleet umbrella but I think having CIDS on a ship will reduce a percentage of the missile damage that ship would take dependent on the following formula.  

This works for all defensive systems by the way. 

Divide 100 by the following

(cids rating x the # of CIDS))/tonnage) + 1

so lets take a 500000 ton CA  with 2500 pulse laser CIDS

thats 200 x 2500/500000 =1+1 for 2

now divide 100/2 and you get 50

the 2500 Pulse Laser CIDS will mitigate incoming missile damage by 50% then your DL defensive bonus is applied and then what’s left hits your shields and then hull armor. If I’m wrong I’m sure Pete will say so. ?

Er...danger Will Robinson...using that formula if you increase the number of CIDS to 3500 you end up with 41.666...

Maybe:

100-(100/(((cids rating x # of CIDS)/tonnage) +1))

Your example:

100-(100/(((200 x 2500)/500000) +1)) = 50

My example:

100-(100/(((200 x 3500)/500000) +1)) = 58.34

1 hour ago, Sandarbian said:

This sounds like the total Fleet CIDS Umbrella fires at the total of the incoming fighter, drone, etc., force (killing some). Then each ship (with CIDS) will fire at whatever fighter, drones, etc., are attacking that ship.

Yes? Sorta? No?

Hate the question, not the Questioner :D 

Be sure not to mix up the concepts of "firing at and destroying" with "provides a defensive benefit like any other defensive system".

CIDS, wherever they are, will shoot down enemy fighters, drones and gunboats.  This destroys those deployed ordnance units.

Individual ships have their own mitigation values against enemy missile firepower.  This is usually generated by having CIDS installed on a ship being hit with missile damage.  That ship's inherent missile defense can be increased by way of umbrella coverage provided by friendly fighters, drones and gunboats that happen to have CIDS ratings.  This reduces incoming missile damage and does not destroy anything--just like every other defensive system.

Yes exactly. The more CIDS you have the more damage that is mitigated

pulse Laser CIDS aren’t very high on the food chain as far as CIDS go. There are much more efficient types but they will work and you could easily build thousands perhaps hundreds of thousands of them. 

Let's say that one of your ships has been targeted and is about to suffer 30,000 points of missile damage.  Normally, it would suffer 30,000 / 1 = 30,000 damage.

However, it has sufficient CIDS systems installed to give it a rating of 20,000 missile defense.  It might have gained that by possessing 500 CIDS units that punch out 40 missile defense each, or it had less but gained some from its fleet umbrella (perhaps you have a carrier with some interceptor fighters that have CIDS ratings). In either case, let's say that it is a 10,000 ton ship with 20,000 missile defense.  That gives it a mitigation bonus of 20,000 / 10,000 = 2.  Therefore, instead of dividing by 1 (a ship with no missile defenses whatsoever), that particular ship gets to divide by 1 + 2.  In this case, it would suffer 30,000 [incoming missile damage] / (1+2) = 10,000 effective damage.  This would be applied against its shields (if any), and then directly impact the ship's integrity.

Note that fighters, drones and gunboats can be very effective weapons, but CIDS defends against their missile firepower exactly like any other defensive system mitigates damage of the appropriate type.  In the case of fighters, drones and gunboats, however, that same defensive system not only mitigates their missile damage but also destroys some of them.  Other defensive systems don't do that--they just reduce the damage that impacts their ship.  In this way it is possible to destroy some of your enemy's offensive firepower (his fighters, drones and gunboats) without being required to damage or destroy his ships.  Normally, you need to damage (or, hopefully, destroy) your enemy's ships directly in order to reduce their effectiveness.  Deployed ordnance commands a variety of advantages, but being destroyed by enemy point defenses (essentially doing "double duty") instead of enemy primary weapons batteries is certainly not one of them.

I'd have to dig deep into the combat code to find out, and such a daunting task definitely falls into the category Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here.  In any event, I wouldn't worry too much about minuscule fractions on such matters -- they rarely mean much in the grand scheme of things.  50.025% missile defense or 50.03%?  Your ship is already very probably either fine or about to become a mass of radioactive debris floating off into the Great Beyond, and the microscopic difference in missile defense, however it ends up being calculated, almost certainly won't save it.

Primitive Artwork: Cave drawings, simple sculptures, crude painting, handmade jewelry and other basic art
forms are examples of Primitive Artwork. They can be quite rare and beautiful if
preserved properly, and are often just as valuable as more modern luxury goods. (1 ton)
3 Gaseous Elements

Is it just me or does this not conjure up the thought of the introduction of a gaseous element into a showing at an Art Gallery ! Can just imagine the next day article from the art critic...

"His work was vivid and striking, though one could not come within ten feet of it without a gas mask!"