Rolling Thunder Forums

Question about Spinal Messon Accelerator

Well I've noticed there's long periods of time between last posts in other threads. Lol. Secret Squirrel pm stuff I suppose. All good. I don't mind the dialogue back and forth. I enjoy the talk, personally. I did suspect you were getting at newbies who just expect to be shown the light, so to speak. When I started I was gifted an old copy of the rules. I received some help to get my economy setup for balance. For the next 7 years or so I found everything else the hard way. Then I met a couple of players who had complied a ton of info on weapons and other stats of the game. I had most of everything on the massive list and several things they didn't. I added my info to their list bc I thought it was a great idea. Imagine if you could plan your empire to be strong without spending a couple hundred dollars and 3 years on tech you can't use at all. I'm not talking going up to 8th gen techs. It still takes years to research the tech and, if you're so advanced, the lower tech shouldn't worry you. 

I think something like that would help bring in new players to the game. I don't see the issue over it. Someone asking about one tech indicates to me that they, probably, have a lot of other techs done. I think strategy has more in play than techs. When DMX shows up with 60k ships with 20 cm Gauss Guns, do you really think your 2B ton ship with 5k Negative Nova Cannons has a chance? If you have a FC of 1? My point is it's not the tech research you should fear. And giving some small info to a player you don't know might benefit you in the long run, like when he takes out the DMX Core on your border or sends aid in your repulsion of an invading empire. 

All I was trying to do was see what I had missed for the last several years of looking, but not really needing, one piece of tech. Now I must do my orders for this cycle. Look forward to my new friends response.

3 hours ago, Pharnauk the Destroyer said:

Well I've noticed there's long periods of time between last posts in other threads. Lol. Secret Squirrel pm stuff I suppose. All good. I don't mind the dialogue back and forth. I enjoy the talk, personally. I did suspect you were getting at newbies who just expect to be shown the light, so to speak. When I started I was gifted an old copy of the rules. I received some help to get my economy setup for balance. For the next 7 years or so I found everything else the hard way. Then I met a couple of players who had complied a ton of info on weapons and other stats of the game. I had most of everything on the massive list and several things they didn't. I added my info to their list bc I thought it was a great idea. Imagine if you could plan your empire to be strong without spending a couple hundred dollars and 3 years on tech you can't use at all. I'm not talking going up to 8th gen techs. It still takes years to research the tech and, if you're so advanced, the lower tech shouldn't worry you. 

I think something like that would help bring in new players to the game. I don't see the issue over it. Someone asking about one tech indicates to me that they, probably, have a lot of other techs done. I think strategy has more in play than techs. When DMX shows up with 60k ships with 20 cm Gauss Guns, do you really think your 2B ton ship with 5k Negative Nova Cannons has a chance? If you have a FC of 1? My point is it's not the tech research you should fear. And giving some small info to a player you don't know might benefit you in the long run, like when he takes out the DMX Core on your border or sends aid in your repulsion of an invading empire. 

All I was trying to do was see what I had missed for the last several years of looking, but not really needing, one piece of tech. Now I must do my orders for this cycle. Look forward to my new friends response.

(In Miagi voice) ayi! Have guuud chance

but only if there is a Grand Admiral aboard that 2 billion ton ship. Also if those DMX can’t kill that monster in about 750 battle pulses then it lives to fight again and annihilate those DMX the next turn. 

1 hour ago, The Fremen said:

(In Miagi voice) ayi! Have guuud chance

but only if there is a Grand Admiral aboard that 2 billion ton ship. Also if those DMX can’t kill that monster in about 750 battle pulses then it lives to fight again and annihilate those DMX the next turn. 

In Yoda voice: Learn you have not. About chances this is not. Search oneself you must. Hmmm....Yes.

Berry berry interersting. :beer:

I guess i would look at it the same way i would look at intelligence in the political world...

State secrets are hard to keep.  There are actors/[players who are adept at obtaining and/or discerning information.  There are those that are less so.  

Most of the information is somewhat available, either privately or more publicly.  

Most will not oppose the public discussion of "lower level" intel.  Higher level intel is more likely to be controversial.  

There are those who want to keep information closely guarded, and those who want to open-source information.  They usually do not agree :)

Although the game involves conquest, it also involves exploration, and learning the game itself.  Some people prefer conquest, some exploration and building.  

If the game was closed ended, then conquest/scoring would be more of a priority.  This game is open ended, which does not remove conquest. but tilts the balance somewhat towards exploration and building.  

If too many players are eliminated, the game will likely die.  

Life is always an entertaining tradeoff  :)

Good hunting!

Oh. It seems I found a topic to get someone to post in public forum again. See I did a good thing.

Ok. John makes a point that I agree with. I don't think the game would die, but it's hard to recruit new players if they don't believe they'll have a chance to grow after spending money to play if some greedy troll (no offense if your empire race is trollkind) comes in and mows him down to begin over.

Yes. I know ships can survive. Note past responses that I've been playing over 10 years. Been in a few skirmishes. I wasn't trying to mean it in a literal sense. I forgot that you have to be crystal clear in things with some people bc they'll miss the ocean for the waves. If you don't understand that reference it's on purpose. ;) Not digging on you, Fremen. Please, don't take offense. I'm no rookie player. My opinions are like everyone else's, mine. If the old players are so afraid that new players might find out some high end tech, maybe they should stick to Andromada and leave Draco to modern thinking folks.

I've got a lot of positive feedback from younger (not age related) players for what I've said about sharing tech. If I give a guy reqs on negative nova cannons today, how long would it be before he could build them? (Not asking literally so don't crunch the numbers and think I should hear the total) I'd be farther ahead in my development. I shouldn't have to explain this. If you've played this game for years, you should know this already. Everyone has different strategies. I only asked one simple question and this has blown up into ridiculous theory. Lol. But, I got some new posts on the board. Something good has come out of it. I was beginning to think no one was active on this forum.

So, thanks for all the input. I've had fun. I've even met some new friends. And that's why I like to play this game. So, happy hunting out there. Don't let the machines blast you into oblivion. If they do get the T-shirts. Lol. Good luck. :)

I don’t take offense at all. I’m not a rookie player either. Been here since day one in Andromeda and Draco and even before that with SuperNova II. I’m also one of those willing to share but not on the forum and not directly. I will point ya in the right direction. The rest is up to the player. There is a HUGE learning curve with SN as there are so many things not listed in the rules about a great many things. I for one want the game to continue to flourish and new players that start the game  may feel a bit overwhelmed. Rather than set them up for assimilation I help them prepare so they may have a fighting chance when the time comes. 

Now that, sir, is what I'm talking about. I agree with you. I'm not for giving a guide on public forum for, say, siege plasma hellbores. Something up around gen 4 to act as guide only. They still need to do whatever is in their game plan. The learning curve is how to actually implement all that tech into useful defenses and offensive strategy. As you know, high tech doesn't guarantee success in this game. Lol. I will never tell anyone how they should run their empire. I give pros and cons to different situations so they can make their own decisions. That advice only goes in private conversation and on individual cases. Happy hunting.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...