Rolling Thunder Forums

Draco ground division cap

The Fremen

Being able to over run somebody with lots of divisions is not an issue.  The fur will really fly when an empire gets so big they can fly in with 10B tons of fleet against only 100M (100 times larger) and not be able to bring that same level of empire development to bear on the ground.  

Please reverse this decision and go with some other way to fix the database if it needs fixing.

:cheers:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about we do this. Have Pete setup and run  a sample of battles. Use a full ground pounder race against a brain in the jar race for the first set of samples. Have varying levels of ground tech. Brain in the jars should be able to get a better output of tech with the RC bonuses. Run a hundred battles. Then have a set of battles using a ground pounder versus a brain in the jar race that has used species engineering to buyoff the negative ground combat abilities. Use varying tech levels and run another 100 battle sample. If the ground pounder always wins, no matter what the brain in the jar race has for tech or species engineering, then it needs to be looked at. That will also allow him to see how the odds shifts come out. Once its done he can then give us a brief report on what he saw from the test results.

5 batles wouldnt work very well if you used variable tech levels for each side. if you used a ground pounder with no ground tech and a brain in the jar with no ground tech, a little ground tech, half the ground tech, three quarters the ground tech and all the ground tech thats five battles right there. You would need a set for  ground pounders at no ground tech, a little, half, three quarters, and all ground tech levels as well. Plus several battles at each setting to  make sure you didnt get a fluke outcome for a battle.

The second set of 100 would be a lot easier to set up and run because the only changes would be that the brain in the jar would have changed lifeform statistics due to the spending of species engineering points

I would like to say I appreciate everyone's input from Andromeda. My experience is limited with ground combat.  I am still going to avoid the ship limits in the imperial reforms though. 

The 1000 ship limit isn't a huge restriction because you can always build bigger ships,

How hard would it be to code in bigger divisions? Add a new tech path that opens up oversized divisions. You could then cap the number of ground units per position, but they could keep increasing the effective number of troops by building Brigades, Legions, Army Groups etc. It would take a bit of work, but there is no immediate hurry to implement the changes as no-one in Draco has too many troops yet.

For example, to build an Imperial Army Infantry Brigade you would need the 1st Generation Logistics tech and 2 Imperial Army Infantry as the components.

2 hours ago, Hobo said:

I think pete should leave it like it is we don't need bullies trying to  take over draco

Pete doesn’t want to leave it like it is. He is just trying to keep the database issues in Andromeda from manifesting in Draco. 

One major reason  he shouldn’t is this

depending on how you designed your race you will have a Defense rating of from .1 to  30+ or even higher. So with this in mind it would be IMPOSSIBLE for a race with a .1 or even a 1 or 2 or perhaps higher to defend itself against a race with say a 15 20 30+ etc. 

long term ground tech parity will be achieved amongst the races and then only this defense rating will make or break the fight on the ground. Guess who will win EVERY single time? Does that sound equitable to you?  As one of those burly ground pounders who has also invested in ground tech since day one I can tell you it would be no fun to read a battle report that reads:

a small force of Fremen shock troops invaded X HW and slaughtered the defenders of said HW without so much as a strand of hair out of place. 

If Pete leaves it the way it is there is no doubt the strongest ground pounder races will dominate the Galaxy with a bit of help from their allies with awesome ship tech. 

If that labels our race bullies so be it. We can live with it 😈

One can always build bigger ships since they are unique and the sum of the parts.  No matter what you do, the ground units will always be static.  If the marines were 10 times the size they would still be the same size for everyone.  Just capping numbers doesnt work.  It would be the same as you bringing 10 light cruisers to a battle and i get to bring 10 dreadnoughts.  We both have the same number of ships so everythings fair, right?  I would bet my 10 DNs with lower level tech will still win over uour 10 CLs eith higher level tech.

In naval battles it is total tonnage that matters as well as tech and strategy,  

Ship limits are only possible since ships can be as big as you want. 

4 hours ago, RTGPete said:

No worries - I'll take a look at the code and see what I can do.  I don't like hard limits any more than you guys do.

Amen to that. Thanks Pete.  Pretty sure that a database fix can be worked out well before that 2500 cap limit is reached. 👍

When I first saw the message on the turn results I thought I could go ahead and research Imperial Reforms since the ground division limitation way too restrictive to ever defend yourself on the ground. I guess the question is if I successfully research the Imperial Reforms and Pete subsequently fixes the database problem, will the 1000 division limit be imposed again?