Rolling Thunder Forums

Player Mistakes

PhaseDragon

I am starting this thread mainly for those thinking of starting the game. It will help those just starting not get so overwhelmed hopefully.

Mistakes that I have made:

The spreadsheet that I made had a mistake on it in the code section which listed the Colonial Berthing Unit as 1000 tons instead of 10000 tons. When I was building them I tried to build way more than I actually could. Not good.

I tried to offload some colonists and construction materials onto a planet to build an Astronomical Observatory, Imperial Science Buildings (All 5) and standard Science Buildings (All 5). Then I surveyed a warp point and immediatley dismantled them and reloaded everything since OC and LC don't cost action points. Also, attrition happens at the end of turn cycle. By then the pop would not be on the planet and I would suffer no losses. Unfortunately, I forgot to CTRN my pop to Colonists before I loaded them and none were loaded. I also did not get another colony listing so I assume they all died since it was a hostile environment. That was very costly.

Early on in the game I never gave too much thought to supplying power to my installations until I noticed it on one of my turns. After adding more stripmines I ran out of power. Another bummer.

This is a starter. Anyone else have any mistakes to share?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Typos

2) Getting resources backwards for production

3) Miscalculations for power needs, IC usage or resources that caused my production to blow up....or worse....not having a Hydro/Geo yield and running out of processed radioactives early on........

4) This one HURT: Sending a 300 CB fleet with lots of goods three systems away and oooops!!!! Guess what? NO COLONY BEACON :thumbsup:

5) Forgetting to drop off leaders to colonies and having them aimlessly wander around three systems away before noticing it (Should be an easier way to move around leaders, maybe?)

6) Not having enough shipyards or shipyard slips (if you dont catch this, it can really mess up your production queues)

7) Forgetting an OC or LC order within a multi-system convoy and wondering why your ships are "full" or "empty" after two or three turns have passed

8) Working off of old Turn Results.....

9) Forgetting to RN into fleets before moving them around (or trying to)

10) Miscalculating fuel needs....I have a couple explorers that are "out of gas" and patiently waiting inside of a warp nexus with nothing to do....talk about a bum crew assignment :D

The good news?

I don't know anybody who HASNT made mistakes their first few go arounds.

You just reminded me of another mistake. I have built some fuel refineries and also built some Gas Elements for them. Unfortunately, I had no Gas Elements in stockpile and when the end of turn cycle came around the fuel refineries executed first and failed because of no Gas Elements. The Gas Elements were built later in the cycle. Actually, they didn't fail; just didn't produce any fuel.

Also, I scrapped some ships and assumed that I could immediately use the components to build another ship...NOT. The scrap order (which needs the shipyard to execute) was stored for end of turn phase. When you build a ship, all components must be present so they can be placed in the shipyard for the build. Since the shipyard operates at the end of turn cycle the components were not available until then and the build ship order failed.

The moral:

Pay Close attention to the turn processing order!

Orders are executed in the order entered. Build orders are "stored" for the end of turn processing cycle. After all move/explore/skim etc. orders are executed in the specified order then the end of turn cycle initiates.

End of Turn Cycle

Power Generation Facilities generate power and consume resources (if any).

Shipyards draw 100 power each and build ships entered into the cue during the order phase or those already there unfinished from previous turns.

Fuel Refineries do not draw power (at least not yet) but do consume resources (only those stockpiled since the industries have not operated yet) and generate fuel.

Specialty mines (Iron Mine for example) consume power and generate resources. Mines operate in alphabetical order (if this matters to you).

Stripmines consume power and generate raw materials.

Industries combine resources and raw materials together to make other resources and ship components. These orders execute in PRIORITY ORDER so if you need iron to make steel then have that order listed with a lower priority than steel. That is if you don't already have enough iron in stockpile before this phase.

Also, the tonnage each Industry is able to produce is 250 tons. Therefore if you want to build 1000 steel it would take 12 Industries to process this build (1000 x 3 (3 Iron Units each 1 ton in weight) = 3000 tons to process; 3000 tons / 250 per Industry = 12 Industries)

In addition, if you didn't have the iron after the specialty mine phase then you would have to produce that as well. That would take 120 Industries (3000 Iron (1 Ton each) x 10 (The raw material cost, also 1 ton each) = 30000 tons to process; 30000 tons / 250 per Industry = 120 Industries). This order would need a lower priority than the steel build so that the steel build would have the iron available when it executes.

Any remaining installations then operate. So far none of my installations would operate here but I assume that if you were to build a ground unit and you had an installation that could train them somehow it would happen now.

Some of the formulas that I have seen from other posts are:

Resource extraction can be calculated using this ROUGH formula. It is not exact since I noticed that sometimes the actual amount extracted was not exactly what is calculated by this formula but in cases where it is off more resources were generated, not less.

Resources Extracted = ((YieldAmt - (Mines / 10)) x Mines

You could estimate the optimal amount of mines to build based on the yield with this formula. Again, it is not exact but will give you a close estimate.

Mines To Build = (YieldAmt - 21) x 5

Amount of power generated by Geothermal and Hydroelectric Plants can be estimated with this formula (Again not exactly).

Power Generated = ((YieldAmt / 50) + 1) x 1000 x HydroPlants (Or Geothermal)

Hopefully, this will help any new players. I know it would have helped me immensely.

When doing the NUD, make you double check your stock[iles, production, tech available, with your notes, spreedsheet, and order entry program.

Those littl mistakes like clicking on MK 1 instead of MK 2 is a quick way to ruin 2 turns of production.

Check and double check!

The biggest one I know of that can cripple an economy is running out of processed Rads. Since power comes first you do not produce that turn which kills your Q and can have multiple turn effect.

My recc. to that player was to scrap the Fissions and build Hydros (which take nothing for power) then process a processed rad order and the following turn convert back.

--

My biggest mistake has been power needs for stripmines. Can have major impact when you run out of raw 75% of the way through the 1600 MK II Fusion Engine production line.

:P

1) EB when you meant BI

2) MOVE when you meant NM

3) NM when you meant MOVE

4) Forgeting you already WARPed and WARPing twice

5) Trying to load an Army

6) OC when you meant to XOC

7) Forgeting that HUGE amounts of power care consumed by shipyards when they operate.

8) Sending in a prior turn (big ouch!)

sigh, we all end up doing goofy things eventually.

When you RN into a new fleet, don't forget to NEWF first :angry2:

The resources extracted formula should be correct to the exact molecule if you round to the nearest when you do the ((Yeild - (mines/10)) part of the formula. So, with a yeild of 300 and 109 mines you would have:

300 - 10.9 = 289.1 which rounds to 289.

105 mines would be 300 - 10.5 = 289.5 which rounds to 290.

1) EB when you meant BI

2) MOVE when you meant NM

3) NM when you meant MOVE

4) Forgeting you already WARPed and WARPing twice

5) Trying to load an Army

6) OC when you meant to XOC

7) Forgeting that HUGE amounts of power care consumed by shipyards when they operate.

8) Sending in a prior turn (big ouch!)

sigh, we all end up doing goofy things eventually.

Using the keyword ALL in place of a number (e.g. RN, 101, 102, Pathfinder, ALL <---wrong instead of the correct RN, 101, 102, ALL).

Forgetting to put a pop group # in your EB, CLEAR ALL order.

Researching some cool item but forgetting to also research the various Improved or Advanced items needed to actually build the thing.

Ah and never worry...one will continue making mistakes even when one has played a while...like cutting down crystal production from 2,5 million to 1,5 million for more Iron/Steel making for the new attack fighters and not remembering how many zeroes there are in a million and producing 16 million total of crystals...well we could always throw them at the enemy warships at near-c speed and hope it works *sigh and sound of head hitting desk*

Here's an idea pete, build in a stupidity helper in next turn entry version that has a pop up that asks if you really want to do this when BI/EB in excess of ten million :angry2:

/Locklyn

My mistakes:

Forgetting to type "All" for the XOC orders for three XEXPL fleets whose cargos are currently full. Lost some Mk II Bore Torpedo, would have liked to ANZ those items.

NUD an express yacht instead of a light trader on my second turn. (i.e. 25000 Mk I nuclear engines, and 1 Cargo bay)

Listing orders for fleet 1008th fleet, instead of fleet 108th Recon group.

*sigh*