Rolling Thunder Forums

Official: Turns Are In Thread

EternusIV

My bets are on a crappy Microsoft Access, which is not really a RDBMS :thumbsup:

I guess easiest port might be to Microsoft SQL server, but that is even one of the most expensive ones nowadays (even more :ph34r: )

SQL Server Express Edition/

SQL Server Express Edition is a scaled down, free edition of SQL Server, which includes the core database engine. While there are no limitations on the number of databases or users supported, it is limited to using one processor, 1 GB memory and 4 GB database files. The entire database is stored in a single .mdf file, and thus making it suitable for XCOPY deployment. It is intended as a replacement for MSDE. Two additional versions provide a superset of features not in the original Express Edition. The first is SQL Server Express with Tools, which includes SQL Server Management Studio Basic. SQL Server Express with Advanced Services adds full-text search capability and reporting services.

Would it be a relatively simple port to this *free* version of the 2005 MS SQL Server? Maybe someone could volunteer to walk Pete through what was involved...

John

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access (SSMA for Access)

Migrate Your Data from Access to SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant (SSMA) for Access is a tool for migrating databases from Microsoft Access versions 97 through 2007 to Microsoft SQL Server. SSMA for Access converts Access database objects to SQL Server database objects, loads those objects into SQL Server, and then migrates data from Access to SQL Server.

BUT, would the Visual Basic be able to access the new database....

John the (ex-software engineer) *librarian*

....waaaaaaaaaaaaa, I want my turns yesterday :thumbsup: ...

O.K. dude, you need to go back and carefully read Pete's posts because it's time for you to make a decision. You've got your answer from Pete and he's firm on it. You're not going to get any more info from him on the matter. The turn due date is NOT going to be moved up to Tuesday.

So, your time has come. Your moment of truth as arrived. Now is the time for you to make a stand. It's time for you to decide if you're going to live with this or not. If you are, great. Then shut up and quit crying like a baby all the time. If this is not accecptable to you, fine, then now is the time to quit. Either way, you need to shut up and quit crying like a baby. You have the information to make your decsion, so be a man and make it.

It just absolutely astounds me that you are the first one on the board every cycle bitching about turns coming in on Saturday and what, maybe 12 hours later, your the first one on the board anouncing proudly that you've already got your turns done and are ready for the next cycle. This pattern of behavior from you does not lend credibility to your demand that turns come in sooner.

Again, you've got your answer from Pete so it's time for the demands and whinning to stop. Either accept it or quit. Make your decsion today and stick with it.

Well... He could port to MS SQL Server 2008 with the 180 day free trial and see if that helps more...

I guess the question is whether Pete has the time for experimentation.

You know , EC , maybe you have read the posts all , or not....seems to me you are not understanding what is going on....the game data base is beginning to come to its limits , and if something is not done , the turns that right now are taking 3 days to process will take longer and longer to process as the data base grows....in other words , if you cannnot understand this , something has to be done sooner or later....the post made on 10/15 was made in jest, but you just read what you wanted to read out of that....much like the press likes to take things out of context....I am going to continue to play the game whether you like it or not , and about the only way for you to not have to read my posts in the forum is to either ignore them or find my positions and try to wipe me out....so have at it , bud :thumbsup:

....waaaaaaaaaaaaa, I want my turns yesterday :ph34r: ...

O.K. dude, you need to go back and carefully read Pete's posts because it's time for you to make a decision. You've got your answer from Pete and he's firm on it. You're not going to get any more info from him on the matter. The turn due date is NOT going to be moved up to Tuesday.

So, your time has come. Your moment of truth as arrived. Now is the time for you to make a stand. It's time for you to decide if you're going to live with this or not. If you are, great. Then shut up and quit crying like a baby all the time. If this is not accecptable to you, fine, then now is the time to quit. Either way, you need to shut up and quit crying like a baby. You have the information to make your decsion, so be a man and make it.

It just absolutely astounds me that you are the first one on the board every cycle bitching about turns coming in on Saturday and what, maybe 12 hours later, your the first one on the board anouncing proudly that you've already got your turns done and are ready for the next cycle. This pattern of behavior from you does not lend credibility to your demand that turns come in sooner.

Again, you've got your answer from Pete so it's time for the demands and whinning to stop. Either accept it or quit. Make your decsion today and stick with it.

I second the statement.

find my positions and try to wipe me out....so have at it , bud :thumbsup:

Bold statement.

Care to give directions?

Or are you really not so bold.

And this one as well.

Ill third El Capitan (wait that didnt sound right? :thumbsup:.

It does get annoying that every turn cycle that the same people are complaining, I for one am just greatful to have something like SNROTE to escape into, I really dont care if it takes an extra day or so to get the turns out if thats what is needed.

It is very hard to find a game of such quality, depth and diversity (and Ive played alot of PBM/EPBM's over the years). The dozen or so payers Im in contact with seem to not be phased by these delays they are happy playing their empires and enjoying the game. They dont tend to post that much either as it seems stupid to post the fact your happy.

I just hope the complaining by the few does not ruin the whole thing for the vast majority who are just glad there are people like Pete and Russ providing something so good

Miltiades

P.S. And before I get my head bitten off, yes I realize their are additions still to be made to the game and the odd problems are cropping up, however I still believe overall this is a great game and I feel privileged to be a part of it.

We'll agree with depth and diversity. We'll even say it's ambitious. Quality? Not so much.

The story of creative failure is the story of great ideas poorly executed. We hope Supernova gets better soon, because it's been 5 years and we're still complaining about the same things. Progress must be made or (more) players will be lost.

We'll agree with depth and diversity. We'll even say it's ambitious. Quality? Not so much.

The story of creative failure is the story of great ideas poorly executed. We hope Supernova gets better soon, because it's been 5 years and we're still complaining about the same things. Progress must be made or (more) players will be lost.

We can all agree there is too much extraneous data produced each turn; that the game is reaching it's processing limits; that compression is required to 'hold the line' until the system is able to expand; and that there's probably to much carping about it on this thread.

Here's my proposal:

1. That turn fees be increased to, say, $10 per fifty orders; giving Pete & Russ the capital they need to expand the database.

2. That 'detailed' combat reports be limited to one-time-only new NUDs for evaluation purposes.

3. That anyone with connections work with RTG to 'cut'em' a deal with system upgrades.

4. That consideration be given to moving the due date 'forward' to a monday.

5. That we move this conversation to it's own thread.

We are engaged in a game that has evolved for damned near 30 years inspite of business climate swings and personal tragedy. RTG has always responded [sN,SNII,SN:Rote] to the changes in Tech & business requirements [albeit somewhat slower than some would like] and given us something that is playable each time.

Just think about dealing with a '2500' page mailed results when the Postal Service and migrating due-dates only gave you 3-4 days turn-around!

New Thread anyone? :cheers:

Ill third El Capitan (wait that didnt sound right? :cheers:.

It does get annoying that every turn cycle that the same people are complaining, I for one am just greatful to have something like SNROTE to escape into, I really dont care if it takes an extra day or so to get the turns out if thats what is needed.

It is very hard to find a game of such quality, depth and diversity (and Ive played alot of PBM/EPBM's over the years). The dozen or so payers Im in contact with seem to not be phased by these delays they are happy playing their empires and enjoying the game. They dont tend to post that much either as it seems stupid to post the fact your happy.

I just hope the complaining by the few does not ruin the whole thing for the vast majority who are just glad there are people like Pete and Russ providing something so good

Miltiades

P.S. And before I get my head bitten off, yes I realize their are additions still to be made to the game and the odd problems are cropping up, however I still believe overall this is a great game and I feel privileged to be a part of it.

Well said. And let me state, I am happy. Occassionally saddened that plans for working on SN:ROTE are put off and something like mowing the grass has to take the place of those happier intentions. Of course, then the grass is mowed. And there is plenty to do instead of working over my results.

I could be happier with more consistent turn result delivery, working religions (or are they working now in strange and invisible ways?), working cloaking, diplo, etc. If these made me unhappy in greater proportion than the happiness I get from playing SN:ROTE, then I would quit.

Realizing that some people need to vent about things not being perfect for them, I just skip through those posts. Saves time for other matters.

Still no joy on the turn results this afternoon. So off to help at the soup kitchen wth some neighbors and hoping the turns will be back when I get home this evening.

Octus

We can all agree there is too much extraneous data produced each turn; that the game is reaching it's processing limits; that compression is required to 'hold the line' until the system is able to expand; and that there's probably to much carping about it on this thread.

Here's my proposal:

1. That turn fees be increased to, say, $10 per fifty orders; giving Pete & Russ the capital they need to expand the database.

2. That 'detailed' combat reports be limited to one-time-only new NUDs for evaluation purposes.

3. That anyone with connections work with RTG to 'cut'em' a deal with system upgrades.

We are engaged in a game that has evolved for damned near 30 years inspite of business climate swings and personal tragedy. RTG has always responded [sN,SNII,SN:Rote] to the changes in Tech & business requirements [albeit somewhat slower than some would like] and given us something that is playable each time.

Just think about dealing with a '2500' page mailed results when the Postal Service and migrating due-dates only gave you 3-4 days turn-around!

Also well seid. And second the move the thread motion. :cheers:

Ill third El Capitan (wait that didnt sound right? :cheers:.

Miltiades

Well said. And let me state, I am happy. Occassionally saddened that plans for working on SN:ROTE are put off and something like mowing the grass has to take the place of those happier intentions. Of course, then the grass is mowed. And there is plenty to do instead of working over my results.

I could be happier with more consistent turn result delivery, working religions (or are they working now in strange and invisible ways?), working cloaking, diplo, etc. If these made me unhappy in greater proportion than the happiness I get from playing SN:ROTE, then I would quit.

Realizing that some people need to vent about things not being perfect for them, I just skip through those posts. Saves time for other matters.

Still no joy on the turn results this afternoon. So off to help at the soup kitchen wth some neighbors and hoping the turns will be back when I get home this evening.

Octus

Here's my proposal:

Also well seid. And second the move the thread motion. :cheers:

that must be killer postage on that turn and RTG pays for it!!! good thing there arent too many snail mail players.

I would agree that this is not really the thread for this topic.

I anxiously look at this thread for Pete or Russ to post notes like the turns should be starting out to you in 2-3 hrs. especially not for posts like "I got all my orders written in the interval between the arival of the PDF and the data file (even if they are together now).

Actually, Lars has an open thread where this could continue in a smooth manner.

looker still looking for turns :cheers: