Rolling Thunder Forums

Azuth

I noticed at the bottom of the board you have a feature to "Mark All Posts As Read". However, how do I determine which posts are new? There's no indicator that is "clearly" visible to show you there is a NEW post in a particular Area on the board. If there is, could you please explain what to look for.

Also, may I suggest you put a button towards the top to click "Mark All Posts As Read". Just a user comfort thing. :cheers:

Thank you,

Azuth

Azuth,

The easiest way to see find new posts is probably to use the "View New Posts" link that is part of the page header (over on the right side). That will show up new posts regardless of what forum, etc. they may be in.

Visually - you'll see that the "ibp" button is dark when a forum has new posts in it and faded when it doesn't.

When you enter a thread with new messages - you'll see a small button with a down pointing arrow just to the left of the topic. If you hold your cursor over this a pop-up will tell you that clicking on this will take you to the unread messages in the thread. [Credit: Thanks to DWillard - He made a note on this feature in another thread and I copied it for use here :cheers: ]

Hope that helps

Guest Zy'lar'isa

Messages seem to be getting marked as read even if I'm just looking at the different subjects on a board and not actually reading any of them.

Don't like this. :angry:

Zy'lar'isa

For me I have to log out and then log back in to see the message status change to read. :angry:

Even that doesn't always work. After reading all of the mesages and rebooting my machine for other reasons, the board showed that all of the messages I had just read were new. Even the ones that I was the last commentor. It makes it a bit difficult to quickly check for new messages. :woohoo:

Guest Zy'lar'isa

And I have the opposite problem. I may read a new message, leave the board, return and everything that was a new message now show as read even though I haven't read them yet. The control of "new" and "old" message is no longer in my control. I'd like it back. Either that or "new/old" is determine only if I go into that particular subject. And not by board or forum.

B)

Everything is still working properly for me. After reading a message, rather that clicking the back button, I click on the forum link that the message is in. This is at the top left of the page. For example, this page has the following links listed:

Rolling Thunder Forums -> Tech Support -> Board Support .

After reading all of the new messages in this thread, I click on Board Support . That takes me back to that forum and it is updated -- meaning that the thread no longer shows new messages. After reading all of the new messages in each thread, I then click on Mark Forum Read which is near the top of the page on the right in the dark blue shadded header. This will take you back to Tech Support and the Board Support forum will no longer indacate new messages by the darker blue ipb icon.

Maybe this is the way you are doing it and you are still having problems but just thought I would try to help.

Guest Zy'lar'isa

The silly board is still not working right for me. I just log on, was able to go to a couple of the new messages and read them, then the rest become unmarked (the little blue buttons with the "^" mark on them vanished) and I was no longer able to tell what was a new message I had not yet read. This time I did not leave the forum or the board.

:angry::(

Zy'lar'isa

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Zy'lar'isa

Good thing I'm not paying for using this stinking board that doesn't work.

This board is STILL unmarking unread messages before I get to them. Kill this silly thing and go back to a list.

:cheers::taz::taz::taz::taz::taz::taz::rolleyes::rolleyes::P:drunk:

• 1 month later...
Guest Zy'lar'isa

:rolleyes:

Ok, time to beat the dead horse some more. Here it is September and my message are still becoming marked as read before I can even get to them. I start reading message and after reading a few the rest become marked as read.

:o

:blink:

I wish I had a ready answer for the problems you've been experiencing. :rolleyes:

We did update to the most recent version of the board software. Maybe we'd get better results if we deleted your current user ID on the board and had you redo the registration process?

BTW, what OS and browser software & version are you using? Maybe there is a certain combination that is causing trouble.

Russ

I have just noticed that if you hit the blue IPB button when it is lit up it cleared all of the new post indicators in the associated forum. I don't usually hit that button but some might. If I hit the forum then the new post indicators stay active like they are supposed to.

This may or may not actually mean anything , but I so enjoy pointing out the obvious. :blink: