Rolling Thunder Forums

Brains or Brawns?

Leener Prahoven

I was wondering if a concerted effort has been made to determine how much of a bonus is received by the various lifeform design options. Is a I3S3L1 really better than a I3S3L0? What about a I0S0L0?

We Thamians have no research bonuses, but we're associated with three races that maxed it out and one that has everything except longevity. We've made a few guesses, but nothing concrete, as yet. Anyone else?

• 1 month later...

If it costs more then it is worth more. The pluses are only relative to the trait in question. So, intelligence +'s only are comparable to other intelligence +'s and not to sensory +'s or the ones from long lived. In a general way thay can all be compared in the end, but it doesn't really work when deciding how many points to spend initially.

When deciding on Brains or Brawn, take careful not of Colonization bonuses. One nice thing about your homeworld is attrition from your lifeform rating does not occur on the homeworld. But, if you end up with your overall colonization bonus being negative, you could find colonies very difficult to set-up and maintain. Heck, settling on an Ideal world could still result in attrition losses from turn to turn due to the negative lifeform colonization bonus.

So be careful when taking items that result in your damaging your colonization bonus rating (which plays a part in troop surviability on other worlds).

• 1 month later...

I prefer Type B Combat choices as I suspect that they will be more important down the tech line as to what your race is capable of building and researching. Also, saved points are high on my list...higher than intelligence bonuses. I do however feel that some bonus in research is important. Ground combat is untested yet and the only real evidence that racial design affects gameplay is in the directly translatable abilities such as research, colonization, and reproduction.

Racial bonuses from lifeform design do play a pretty big role in ground combat. If you try to invade even an average race with your brain blob that took massive negatives during design (to pay for the expensive brains and sensory abilities, for instance, or to gain saved research points), you could be in for a world of hurt. Those negatives have a downside....