Rolling Thunder Forums

Questions on Skimming and Scraping

Mechanica

Hi All,

I am in the processing of designing some of my first ship hulls when a couple questions came to light. I've perused several of the topics related to skimming and also scraping but haven't seen any responses that directly answer my questions.

1. When scraping a ship it is reduced to its components that can be used next turn. By this I infer that components means Cargo bays, Fuel tankage, Mk 1 engines and not components like Steel, electronics, synthetic materials, is this correct?

If my assumption is correct and I end up with a pile of Mk 1 engines but I now install Mk II engines is there anyway to breakdown the MK 1 engines back to its next level of components?

2. I ended up with 7 gas giants in my home system. Naturally my thoughts turned to skimming operations and I've even designed some small skimmers and very large tankers to haul the fuel. However, I was reading the posts in one of the NTWD areas and a person was asking how to make the advanced fuels. The answer they were given was you convert 3 gaseous elements into whatever type of fuel you need.

My question then concerns skimming. As my researchers unlock the more advanced fuel technologies does my skimming operation then start siphoning that type of fuel from the gas giants? Or is there another conversion process I must use to get the basic fuel to its more advanced state?

I went to bed last night thinking I had my turn orders all completed and woke up half an hour later realizing that the reason my one fleet had more fuel than the others was because it had more ships. 7 extra ships in fact so all my orders just went out the window. Well, not all but some hefty additional ones have to be made. Since I was partially awake by then I reread the warp survey supplement and realized that I could successfully survey the 2 lowest warp points (C types) in my home system with my MK I sensors, the observatory, and my newly hired Voyager. So it looks like I will break out of my system before I have to research Mk II survey sensors.

Time to erase some orders and jump back into it again :)

Hello Mechanica,

Welcome to the SN:ROTE world.

1) Your assumption is right. You can scrap a ship down to it's components (engine, cargo bays etc), but not further down to the original components like steel, electronics etc.

2) Skimming will only result in regular fuel. There are installations that can generate more advanced fuel types.

3) Breaking out of your system (and back into it from the systems adjacent to your home system) is possible with only a Mk I Jump Survey Sensor, even if it is an E or F class warp point. This is a bonus that only applies to the warp points from your home system and back.

Kind regards,

Here are the next two fuel installations:

-----INST (Describe Installation)-----

INST: Fuel Distillation Complex

Fuel Distillation Complex: Produces 250 Fuel at no Power cost, and at a greater efficiency than regular Fuel

Refineries. Consumes 2 Petroleum.

Production requirements: 500 Improved Construction Materials

Produces: 250 Fuel

Consumes: 2 Petroleum

Requires: Improved Construction Materials as a prerequisite technology

-----INST (Describe Installation)-----

INST: Fuel Purification Refinery

Fuel Purification Refinery: Produces 500 Fuel at no Power cost and at an extremely favorable efficiency rate.

Consumes 1 Improved Petroleum. These complexes have been known to spontaneously detonate

due to the large amount of highly refined fuels all around the Installation. Sabotage is

often blamed, but accidents do happen as well.

Production requirements: 500 Advanced Construction Materials

Produces: 500 Fuel

Consumes: 1 Improved Petroleum

Requires: Improved Fuel as a prerequisite technology

Thanks for the answers.

Still,

1. Once i start scrapping and refitting ships with new engines I will end up with a pile of Mk I engines in 'Ye Oldde Scrap Yard'. Is there anyway to break those down to its components?

2. I know advanced fuels etc are down the road some for me but am trying to plan ahead. Thanks for the info on the fuel facilities but is there any facility that will convert the fuel I currently obtain into the more advanced fuels? I am blessed with gaseous element deposits and 7 gas giants but no petrochemicals on the HW. This will probably be a moot point when I survey the 5 prospective colony sites and find large deposits on them :) .

Thanks again.

Thanks for the answers. 

Still,

1.  Once i start scrapping and refitting ships with new engines I will end up with a pile of Mk I engines in 'Ye Oldde Scrap Yard'.  Is there anyway to break those down to its components?

>> No

2.  I know advanced fuels etc are down the road some for me but am trying to plan ahead.  Thanks for the info on the fuel facilities but is there any facility that will convert the fuel I currently obtain into the more advanced fuels?  I am blessed with gaseous element deposits and 7 gas giants but no petrochemicals on the HW.  This will probably be a moot point when I survey the 5 prospective colony sites and find large deposits on them :) .

Thanks again.

>> Advance fuels are only used for building stuff. Not for moving.

We use our Mk I engines building older ship designs that have no need for more than 2 APs. Once we run out of them, we'll probably make new designs that incorporate MkIIf engines anyway, but in the meantime we have nearly 10 left, so we may as well use them.

Most wise and efficient.

We Lerrans didn't stop with killing the lawyers during our rise to power but also took out the economists. So we don't plan things too efficiently. I suppose our Exxon class heavy fuel tankers can make use of any scrapped Mk Is. They only need to tranfer from gas giant to warp point.

Thanks Mr (or Mz, or whatever :lol: ) . Bug person