Rolling Thunder Forums

Will there be a Victory! upgrade?

DrFreud

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Victory! II is in the planning stages and I've got some work done on it but not enough to give an ETA. Victory! II will be built almost from the ground up as we'll be moving to a new platform and programming language. The game map we plan to leave as is but all other elements will be reviewed. The essence of Victory! won't change much but I've got a lot of ideas for new features and reworks of existing mechanics.

Once the main engine for Victory! II is up and running we'll be in much better shape. I'll have a lot more flexibility with a new engine so you can expect more variants than has been the case with the current game (Korean War era varient, WW I, etc.).

Time to work on special projects of course is always limited and comes after all the day to day stuff. I've got a lot of good ideas - just need more time to work on it. When it looks like I'll be able to work on the project on a consistent basis - I'll start giving folks updates. If you have any thoughts, ideas, etc. that you'd like to contribute to Victory! II, you can always email me with those.

Russ

I'll have a lot more flexibility with a new engine so you can expect more variants than has been the case with the current game (Korean War era varient, WW I, etc.).

Russ

more variants???? :)

zero fighters flying FC over my Yamato class battleships as they CB in prep for the

special naval landing forces amphib assault. :ph34r:

Takeda

Time to work on special projects of course is always limited and comes after all the day to day stuff.

Hi Russ, you're doing a great job. Is there somewhere a list with all the ideas so we can comment, add, evaluatue, discuss weak and strong points of them and so on?

Although I plan one down the road, I don't have a forum set up to discuss the project at the moment. Too much official activity tends to bring things to a boil and I'm not really ready for this project to be boiling at the moment :lol:

If folks want to start a thread to discuss what changes they'd like to see, new units, new features, etc. that would be fine. I'd certaintly read the posts and would probably comment from time to time. Folks can also submit ideas to me via email if they wish as well. When I'm ready for the project to heat up, I'll set up a special forum for it and start recruiting active contributors to the project.

Russ

• 2 months later...

I would certainly love to see techs for some countries that they would have built had things been going differently for them, i.e. Germany and their Graf Zeppelin. One was almost finished, and had Admiral Raeder been able to convince Hitler and Goering to finish it off, I think those ships would have greatly affected the u-boat war. Germany's great battleships and battlecruisers would have been able to leave land, for instance.

It would also be interesting to see a future VICTORY! game take into account not just the National Training systems in regards to what naval ships you can build, but have something like that set up for research. Meaning, if I have a 3/3/2 set up for ground/naval/air research, I would have better tanks and ships before I would have better airplanes. That way, someone with German tech, for instance, might have an aircraft carrier and king tiger tanks sooner than someone who invested more heavily into the air in order to get the me-262's, etc.

I think Victory! is a great deal of fun and I'm thrilled with the job the RTG's staff does. Keep up the good work!

Actually, the V1 and V2 were used late in the war (V1 attacks started about the time of D-Day 1944, V2 attacks came later). These weapons didn't actually do much damage, but their terror quality was certainly high.

These could be simulated as similar to Bombing Cities, with some loss of National Morale. The V1 could be simulated as a one-way "bomber" (able to be shot down by AA, but only intercepted by the fastest Spitfires and Meteors), whereas the V2 could not be intercepted or shot down.

Incidentally, the reason the V2 was delayed was because British (later Allied) bombers kept destroying the research & testing facilities (which tended to kill the skilled scientists and technicians involved in the V2 programme), and later the actual launch site. The V1 launch sites were more easily portable, so more difficult to find and destroy, but the relatively short range of the V1 meant that, as the Allies advanced after D-Day, the V1 sites that weren't over-run were moved out of range of London, which lost them their raison d'etre.

Here endeth the history lesson. :D

In regards to BRC I would suggest that the railroads be re-worked for the Desert Countries. Lets get back to the concept of actual RAIL LINES. Howabout making much of the desert provinces a permanent value of Zero rail capacity with no BRC allowed for them? This would truly make much of the desert worthless to all parties except for movement and tactical issues. All combat would be centered around the actual provinces and cities that could support a railroad.

This rule could even be extended to the Russians who had vast provinces that could never be served by rails (although they could use rivers to simulate rails during the frozen periods of time). A winter only rail capacity for much of the Russian Tundra in the North? It certainly happened at Lake Logoda (sp?) during the siege of Leningrad.

Contraversial? It would certainly make combat in Russia and the Desert more fluid and faster paced. And after all isn't that what both of those theaters were famous for?

and what about the concept of Overun? I highly doubt that One ldb (25 rating) would hinder or even slow down a couple of tank divisions? What would the odds be 1000 to 1?? At odds of 10-1 or 12-1 or whatever is reasonable, an army with an OMG ATC order should be able to wipe out the enemy and keep moving. :beer: