Rolling Thunder Forums

Sharing info

crossroads

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extremes i may say. The group quickly grew to 6 people. To my surprise some were playing from the beginning. So not everybody was taken. Our info guide grew very fast.

Then i started to trade. At least trying too. Of the people i mailed 90% did not react :beer: (and i wrote almost everybody on this forum). Of those who reacted 80% said no interest! :blink: Most of them seem to think that their group does not need to trade. :cheers: Which is funny because i think trading is essential for survivel in any PBM game. This game seems to be the most locked one of those if have played all these years. Of those who i traded with one was rather difficult. With others i could only trade a few items.

This week i have had some succes. :thumbsup: A big fish joined us and i hope to add his stuff in the coming weeks. And it seems we will pick up a second player too so our total comes to 8 people and 15+ positions. :cheers: The guide is coming close to 600 items (some beginners stuff is still missing). Our group is only about general info gathering and mapping. No info about empires, systems, players, no sharing of turns, no restrictions on alliances etc. If you join you will have to share all your general info with no exception and no delay. So we are still open for new members or people who want to trade. :blink:

I experienced the same type of responses when I tried to start an alliance. Seems that without starting at the beginning you don't have enough to offer. I am in the Phoenix Arisen alliance now and it has worked out well for me. I am in the ISIS alliance as well although I have not posted anything there in a long time. There hasn't been much interest there lately either.

With regards to your tech items--

Are you only listing the items that you have seen an ANZ for or any item that you have heard of (including EXPL etc.)? The reason I ask is my list includes everything I have ever heard of in the game and is about 1200 items although I would not be able to share the list without approval from the Phoenix Alliance members.

Where I lack the most information is installations...especially the prerequisites. I am sure that there are a number of them being kept secret due to their value.

Seems that without starting at the beginning you don't have enough to offer.

I always find that a little strange. Newbies will sooner or later have info you do not have. When you help them in the beginning they will remember you. This device has always helped me in other games. :beer:

I am in the ISIS alliance as well although I have not posted anything there in a long time. There hasn't been much interest there lately either.

I was indeed told it was dead more or less. That was one of the reasons i started my own "ISIS". One of the other reason is that i could name it after me. :lol:

Are you only listing the items that you have seen an ANZ for or any item that you have heard of (including EXPL etc.)?

These are only items for which we have ANZ or INST. Maybe we will make a list of the other items too.

The reason I ask is my list includes everything I have ever heard of in the game and is about 1200 items although I would not be able to share the list without approval from the Phoenix Alliance members.

Thats one of the reasons i have problems which such alliances. Groups always seem to think that sitting on their "Golden Eggs" is the best way. My expecience is that talking with everybody is better. Sometimes they can offer you less than you can give, but because you talk with everybody and they do not you are the "winner" after all. :cheers:

Where I lack the most information is installations...especially the prerequisites. I am sure that there are a number of them being kept secret due to their value.

To bad it is not in the inst. I hope they will correct that.

If you have stuff you can trade let me know. You can also join. There is only one but. You will need to share all the anz and inst you have with no exception and no delay.

Hey crossroads, I fell in the 80% of the 90% :beer:

I'm all for open exchange of game information....for the most part. Where I have my hands tied are when I exchange information with others who don't want to share things publically and I honor those arrangements.

With that said....Phasedragon is probably correct.

I predict that - VERY soon - there will be discoveries that will alter the face of the game again. In a year, about a dozen of these discoveries may emerge....items revealed down specialized paths not easily discoverable by empires who choose a cookie-cutterish strategy.

I would not blame such empires for keeping these discoveries hidden.

I'm convinced that you can't research everything in this game....which is why trade is so vital.

Two neighboring empires who specialize in completely different paths have a tremendous advantage in the long run.

Another facet I'll mention is this: I believe that even if you had the ENTIRE tech tree before you, there would be insanely difficult choices for you to make.

You can't do it all.

Good luck with sharing the intel. As I've mentioned in my email - feel free to send me an item and I can try to fill in the blanks how to get there for you - no strings attached. :cheers:

Extremes i may say. The group quickly grew to 6 people. To my surprise some were playing from the beginning. So not everybody was taken. Our info guide grew very fast.

Then i started to trade. At least trying too. Of the people i mailed 90% did not react :beer: (and i wrote almost everybody on this forum). Of those who reacted 80% said no interest! :blink: Most of them seem to think that their group does not need to trade. :cheers: Which is funny because i think trading is essential for survivel in any PBM game. This game seems to be the most locked one of those if have played all these years. Of those who i traded with one was rather difficult. With others i could only trade a few items.

This week i have had some succes. :thumbsup: A big fish joined us and i hope to add his stuff in the coming weeks. And it seems we will pick up a second player too so our total comes to 8 people and 15+ positions. :cheers: The guide is coming close to 600 items (some beginners stuff is still missing). Our group is only about general info gathering and mapping. No info about empires, systems, players, no sharing of turns, no restrictions on alliances etc. If you join you will have to share all your general info with no exception and no delay. So we are still open for new members or people who want to trade. :blink:

I am one of the 90% who has not reacted. (Hey, maybe I just fell out of that group?!)

I have saved the email and will consider responding once I've thought this through a bit.

Part of my current enjoyment is discovery, so not certain I want to learn too much too soon. Sounds like that may put me at a disadvantage, but willing to take that risk at present.

In addition, with all the sharing on this board, I've found my critical needs have been fulfilled so early in the game (coming on 18 turns). Now that specialization is probably becoming mandatory, I may wish to enter into an information exchange 'alliance'. But the jury is still out. And I know you group may be alimited time offer.

Octus

Part of my current enjoyment is discovery, so not certain I want to learn too much too soon. Sounds like that may put me at a disadvantage, but willing to take that risk at present.

I like discoveries too but only on the cutting edge. No need to invent the wheel again. :beer:

Now that specialization is probably becoming mandatory, I may wish to enter into an information exchange 'alliance'. But the jury is still out. And I know you group may be alimited time offer.

At the moment we are open to everybody. But we will not make the same mistake as ISIS to let everybody in. People simply want to compete/trade. Thats fine with me so we will be closing at some point. We will see how it goes. Worries are for tomorrow. :cheers:

Octus implies a good point-

Whats the point of being exposed to the tree if you are content in specializing down a certain path anyway? By specializing and keeping to yourself, you might maintain an advantage.

(counterargument: so you can see what everyone else has...but thats easily accomplished with the myriad of free tech lists floating out there anyway it seems)

Of the people i mailed 90% did not react  (and i wrote almost everybody on this forum

Guess I'm on the black list, since I wasn't mailed..... :cheers:

Oh well, back to the Mk III Improved Heavy Beer Tap..... :beer:

Of the people i mailed 90% did not react  (and i wrote almost everybody on this forum

We may have a potential trading opportunity. When the Mk III Premium Distillery is researched, may swap some of them for the above mentioned Heavy Beer Taps. Never know when one needs a shot with that beer. :cheers::cheers:

Octus

Guess I'm on the black list, since I wasn't mailed..... :D

Must be because i do not drink alcohol. :lol:

But if you wanna trade or join just let me know. :blink: