Rolling Thunder Forums

Quick Question on Warp Points

Hughestrog

Yeah. I'm quoting the Master of the Universe through the Warp Survey doc.

The Survey Difficulty of the Warp Point is reduced by the presence of legendary commanders. The best Explorer and Scientist on your fleet are

used and if you have both types available, they will work in concert.

And Jump Survey Sensors stacking works similar. They don't add up in a linear fashion at all. Unless you know the log base...which can be estimated. Look at Mk I: Base Strength 20. The second will contribute less than 20 (lets say 16 for example purposes) the third will combine for even less (say 10 for example purposes)

The best available Jump Survey Sensor in the fleet creates a base survey strength, to which is added a significantly reduced amount based on the

sum of all of the survey strengths of every Jump Survey Sensor in the force. Thus, a single Mk II Jump Survey Sensor can still benefit from a

(generally large) number of Mk I’s. It can be extremely difficult to survey higher-Class Warp Points using Mk I Jump Survey Sensors because

the survey base for a Mk I is relatively low. Class “A” and “B” Warp Points are no problem for Mk I’s, but as soon as Class “C” Warp Points

are encountered, an enormous number of Mk I’s is often required. It is far better to bring along at least one Mk II to survey those “C” Points.

and

Jump Survey Sensor base strengths are shown below; the best Jump Survey Sensor in your fleet is used. An additional amount based on a

logarithmic formula adds to this amount and utilizes the sum of every Jump Survey Sensor available to your fleet. This formula is not

particularly favorable, strongly encouraging the use of at least one superior Jump Survey Sensor.

Its my earnest belief that the super high end warp points CANNOT be broken with mere Mk IIs and maybe even Mk IIIs - regardless of how many you stack. Of course, adding leaders to Mk II/Mk III equipped ships can help you with F's for certain. G's are a mess. Anybody know how to knowck down a G with regularity?

As regards Scientists and Explorers they DO both count, each making a seperate contribution...

For example, a warp point has a 100 difficulty level

Your level 3 explorer reduces this by 30%, leaving 70

Your level 2 scientist then reduces it by a further 10%, leaving 63

I believe any scientific installations then contribute additional reductions

Sha'thar notes that she's scanned G-type warp points with amassed Mk I JSS, with an explorer on board. The fleet was created before she had a better idea of the scope of the universe. :D Now Exploration fleets are comprised of three ships; one large warp survey ship and two smaller ships for planetary exploration.

A question from a newbie.

Are two way Warps symmetric?

Mahalo :D

:ph34r:

If you mean 'are they the same WP class from both ends?', then the answer is NO, not always....... :cheers:

Whilst I do have two-ways A's and two-way G's.....

I also have B's out and E's back - where I've often been stuck a while....... :P

In general I would say that they are mostly similar and not too far apart, but I must admit to not having made a great study of the phenomenon (big word after two glasses of bubby stuff..... :cheers: )

Regards

Chief Cartographer to Ur-Lord Tedric

Sha'thar notes that another important point about Warp points is that they sometimes do not return the place they originated! This has happened often enough to the Gosht Kohr to influence explorer-ship designs.

"No ship design not designated for established convoy routes shall be built without fuel shuttles!" :jawdrop: