Rolling Thunder Forums

Galactic Senate Proposal and Charter Requirements

EternusIV

Guest Zy'lar'isa

"I hereby wish to enjoy the protections and benefits of the Galactic Senate and promise to honor the Bylaws ratified by the Galactic Senate. I remain a sovereign empire, but will honor any duties imposed upon me by the Senate for as long as I choose to remain a member. I also promise to inspire non-members to the high ideals for which the Galactic Senate stands."

Queen Zy'lar'isa

The Nest of Zylaria 4933

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(A magnificent array of multi-colored vines, flora and petals, floating in an ornate tank of seawater approaches the Galactic Senate channel communication device....the translations proceed.....ears, tentacles, antannae, heads, brains, tune, listen, raise, perk, open etc.)

Greetings fellow Senators, as we may rightly call each other such!

The Galactic Senate is officially chartered!

Perhaps these are the first steps to an intergalactic peace; this first unified step made by the brave members listed here.

The Galactic Senate is ours - we pave an open road in any direction we see fit.

Here is our current membership list:

===================================

Admiral Helianthos Eternus IV

The Everlasting Spawn, 1728

Clan Eldress Sha'thar

The Gosht Kohr, 2296

Honored One Daz

Zendo Mar Hierarchy, 500

Honored One Krelnett of Kraan

Zraaknod Brotherhood, Empire 2084

Witch King Star Seeker

Lostworlds, 1290

Queen Zy'lar'isa

The Nest of Zylaria, 4933

====================================

Phasedragon, an oath must be taken, my friend - along with listing your empire leader and number. Once accomplished, you are more than welcome to join these ranks!

For those of you wishing to continue to mock this Senate, I humbly ask that you refrain. I plea to your sense of gaming maturity to allow an openly moderated organization to proceed and have fun without too much obnoxious (albeit hilarious) interference.

The deadline for the proposal and second of the Senate's first very bylaws is Monday, June 14, 11:59pm MST. Please feel free to submit your bylaw proposals!

A discussion of all proposals will commence throughout the week. Feel free to start a new Galactic Senate thread at your discretion - a suggestion to include 'Galactic Senate' in the thread title.

I have received emails from other empires who are curious to see how the Galactic Senate proceeds. This is an experiment that will undoubtedly reveal the character of every empire in the game - and the people behind them. In the event there are those who wish to exploit loopholes and simply sabotage our mutual efforts to bring about prosperity through the aims of the Galactic Senate, the burden falls upon the very Galactic Senate itself to protect its future from such childplay.

The Galactic Senate is only as effective as we choose to make it.

If we fail in our endeavors here, it will not be for a lack of vision of the members who offer their services to the goals of the Galactic Senate.

I have a bylaw proposal I'd like to make, but would rather bestow the honor of the first ever bylaw to another member.

I am a mere organizer and wish to remove myself from the organizational spotlight as soon as I can. I don't want people to confuse politics with the design of the Senate - to be an inclusive and open-ended organization for every member empire, by every member empire.

Instead of a bylaw, I want to mention an issue - as many of you know - I run more than a single position. I'm opting not to include these multiple positions into the Galactic Senate. I thought long and hard to include provisions against such a thing but thought it best discussed by any future membership. Enforcement and monitoring of which empires are indeed 'legit' and run by 'one person' are difficult at best. In sum, we rely only on character - a strength many of us have in abundance - but a trait dangerously fragile in others. Feel free to discuss this issue openly. Perhaps a Bylaw might discourage players from flooding the Senate with alternate positions and bogus empires. I thought it imperative to point this subtle weakness in our system to the Senate at the earliest opportunity. I'm sure we will cross, or burn, that bridge when we come to it? An elegant solution is to require that every member empire turn their 'privacy option' to NO and run a quick membership check upon admission into the Senate.

The Galactic Senate is now open!

“I hereby wish to enjoy the protections and benefits of the Galactic Senate and promise to honor the Bylaws ratified by the Galactic Senate. I remain a sovereign empire, but will honor any duties imposed upon me by the Senate for as long as I choose to remain a member. ”

:jawdrop:

Alcorn the Honored One

Sabeli Ecok, Empire 2996

HBOB, Official Caterers to the Galactic Senate (or do we need a bylaw for this?)

oh, and I did love the phoenix arisen jest!, but since there isn't a king or an autocracy, it doesn't truly apply.

Bylaw Proposal:

"I propose that each member shall have only one vote, regardless of the number of Empires that join the senate. That is One vote per person, not per empire."

Alcorn the Honored One

Sabeli Ecok, #2996

A question: Who shall have responsibility for maintaining a membership roster and counting votes?

Ooh, wait: We could use the poll function of this forum for voting. It would still fall to someone to make sure that only members are counted, however.

Admiral Helianthos Eternus IV

The Everlasting Spawn, 1728

This is an experiment that will undoubtedly reveal the character of every empire in the game - and the people behind them.

In the event there are those who wish to exploit loopholes and simply sabotage our mutual efforts to bring about prosperity through the aims of the Galactic Senate, the burden falls upon the very Galactic Senate itself to protect its future from such childplay.

WOW, I can not help but feel, you certainly are full of yourself.

As to the second part of the quote, are you going to be lobbyist's to RTG? Just trying to get idea of main focus.

Krelnett- I thought about the poll too...which is why I thought of the strange formality of using a full signature with empire id instead. How can we tell that certain members did not abstain?

I like Kurrasier's proposal and amended it in a way...and think it proper to amend the charter in that instance as it is a significant membership change. This would require a 2/3 vote to be effective.

If we make such a change, I think it would be a good idea to require all member empires to turn their privacy options off....so that we can verify that the position is being run by a different person (yes - there are even ways to exploit this....but some protection is better than none?)

If passed, this would require someone to do little background checks on empires upon admission. I could volunteer for the first run as I have an empire with about 7 empty order slots. Might be a good idea to have two people run simultaneous checks in more questionable situations?

If someone would like to volunteer to keep a list of members and voting, that would be great. Perhaps grant the title: "Secretary-Senator?" What the hell I'll propose a Bylaw.

If the Bylaw doesn't pass, I don't think it would be too bothersome to allow any member to summarize membership lists and votes as we progress.

I think we'll get the process down smooth after a while.

1) Propose Bylaws

2) Second Bylaws

3) Vote on Seconded Bylaws

The following format is something I'll propose to use...includes deadlines, voting necessities and whether its seconded or not:

There are three Proposals on the table now:

=====================================================

PROPOSED AMENDMENT TO CHARTER: KURRASIER Multiple Position Amendment to Charter

DEADLINE to second: June 14, 2004 11:59pm MST

2/3 VOTE REQUIRED TO PASS

Each member shall have only one vote, regardless of the number of Empires that join the senate. That is One vote per person, not per empire.

SECONDED: NO (but amended by Eternus for separate Bylaw proposal below)

PROPOSED AMENDMENT TO CHARTER: KURASSIER-ETERNUS Multiple Position Amendment to Charter

2/3 VOTE REQUIRED TO PASS

In the event a player has more than one empire join the Galactic Senate, he/she may only allow one of the member empires to vote.

Voting requirement change: Every member empire must toggle their privacy option to "No" in order to have effective voting powers. In the event a member empire fails to toggle their privacy option, or it is discovered that the empire is a multiple position run by the same player, all votes by the empire are null and void immediately and retroactively.

Privacy checks shall be conducted by 2 volunteer member players on the turn after admission into the Galactic Senate.

Note: This does not change the Admission process into the Galactic Senate. However, your empire will be subject to privacy and identity verification which can result in nullification or suspension of votes and voting privileges.

In the event a multiple position is found, the most recent empire of the same player will be expelled from the Galactic Senate immediately.

SECONDED: NO

BYLAW PROPOSAL: KRELNETT-ETERNUS "Secretary-Senator" Position

MAJORITY VOTE REQUIRED

To further the interest of organization and efficiency, a volunteer-Senator may apply for the position of "Secretary-Senator" to keep track of membership lists and voting results. Duties include keeping a list of membership, organizing threads, posting proposed and seconded bylaws with approporaite deadlines and keeping track of voting results. This position will not preclude other member empires from challenging or double-checking such things, however. The charter still controls the validity of all membership and bylaw procedure; the "Secretary-Senator" simply tallies the results.

If passed, all interested Senators may volunteer and we will have a simple majority election for the position if more than one member empire chooses to run for the position. (Please note: Admiral Helianthos Eternus IV does NOT plan on running for this position but won't mind keeping things flowing until we develop a more organized method of doing things :jawdrop:)

SECONDED: NO

*Note - I'm just adding a little more flavor by including our names in the Bylaw proposals to give source for the idea and who drafted/revised 'em.

Hmmmm, it appears as though my comments are being attributed to the entire, PA alliance. None of my posts are the views of the entire PA alliance or the leadership, Unless I state so in the message. I believe this can be verified by the fact Phasedragon is joining the sennate, and I am poking fun at it.

It certainly appears I hit a nerve. I will use an alias from now on so as to not cause troubles to my friends.

And one last poke directed at ET, thanks for the open debate.

:thumbsup: <-- for you, Gary.

:jawdrop: <--- Try one of these. Catered by HBOB through the Galactic Senate

Seriously Gary - What 'debate'? The fact you call me full of myself and imply that whining to RTG is how the Senate would protect itself from players wanting to exploit the system? :lol: I have every right to imply the PA in what you say - you are - after all - a loyal 'worm' to the Pheonix Arisen. Hey Gary - if you ever drop, let me know, I'd kind of like to be in the center of that mess just for kicks :oops:

I apologize to the Senate for this political interruption.

Guest Zy'lar'isa
Queen Mother, beloved of the Colony, Prime Mother on Banshee does hereby offer her acceptance of the Charter.

As spoken on the waste of Banshee by Alpha Diplomat

Martin Burlingame

The Colony #2516

You have not submitted properly. Please examine the charter for the proper method.

In this The Nest will demand that proper protocol be followed.

Queen Zy'lar'isa

The Nest