Rolling Thunder Forums

More Newby Questions

ali-t-akua

I've done a lot of REA's and the answer is you get the e-mail address, mail address, empire name, empire number, person's name, and country.

From someone who having fun.

Lostworlds

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We didn't bother with a popgroup on the gasgiant, and we don't take the fuel home, either (it does us no good there)

We built Honeypot-class "Orbital Fueling Stations" and placed them near each of our warp points on SUPP status. Now our Workers deliver their nectar straight to the warp points and any ship that leaves gets its tanks topped off.

No. We just use the SUPP order. The Honeypots never move, so the order never gets canceled. Workers have a NM-SKIM-MOVE-FUEL convoy set up to supply the Honeypots. All automated, at least until we get a fleet large enough it needs more than the 100 ktons of fuel that a honeypot can store. then we just build another and push it into place.

There are some very helpful beings here in the SN universe.

Of course the questions keep on coming. This one is more along game strategy lines.

Do people spread their research out over all of their research centers to do they group the research centers together to provide more focus?

Mahalo B)

We have done both. It is suggested to research 25 separate items at first, as most of the base items will be necessary sooner or later and less research potential is lost that way. Eventually we stumbled across certain technologies that would take until the end of time to research "naturaly" one RC at a time, so we've had to concentrate more.

If you are looking for techs that take 3 turns.

They are

Mk I Field Hospital

Howler Bomb

ESP Deluder

Laser Rifle

Light Drone

Mk I Interceptor Missile

Mk I Short Range Torpedo

Mk I Standard Missile

Telekinetic Blaster

Superconducter

Good Luck

Lostworlds

Do you have all 7 possible research boosters? (3 levels intelligence, 3 levels senses, and longevity)

I wanted to spread the points around some so I could get a decent colonization bonus so I did not max out intelligence and senses. Besides Intelligence is very expensive to max B) .

Mk I Field Hospital

Howler Bomb

ESP Deluder

Laser Rifle

Light Drone

Mk I Interceptor Missile

Mk I Short Range Torpedo

Mk I Standard Missile

Telekinetic Blaster

Superconducter

Thanks Lost. That is a big help in deciding my early research priorities for non SRP research. (From my perusing the Forums I guess JSS is the best place to spend initial SRPs. I assume that you want at least a Mk. III or IV.)

I wanted to spread the points around some so I could get a decent colonization bonus so I did not max out intelligence and senses. Besides Intelligence is very expensive to max

I guess JSS is the best place to spend initial SRPs. I assume that you want at least a Mk. III or IV.)

I think you were correct in your choices in both cases.

MK III JSS is a fine survey platform and adequate for all circumstances in my experience.

Less than Max Intel and Senses are perfectly adequate, in fact, necessary unless you have no other agendas than research, or even to be an average race. Maxed research is great, but not the end all, be all.

Good luck,

Tom

SKIM Operations

=============

If you get lucky and have a gas giant in your system, you can SKIM the Gas Giant and offload the fuel onto your homeworld (or as some might suggest - on the gas giant itself and then have fleets go to the gas giant and load up fuel from the pop center you establish on the gas giant --- the trade-off? A 2-action point ship can SKIM twice in one turn and create a hihger stockpile of fuel than an operation where it travels back and forthe betwee nthe HW....its your choice)

A basic design is something like this: 40,000 Fuel Tankage, 200 Fuel Shuttles, 1 Mk I Nuclear Engine Then set up a Convoy Route that 1) moves to gas giant 2) SKIMs for gas 3) goes back to homeworld and OC the fuel

If you want to offload a colony beacon onto the gas giant, throw in 5,000 Cargo Bays and load up a Colony Beacon. COLB the Gas Giant and then set up orders to have it SKIM,OC,SKIM,OC

My setup for this operation uses the following ship design to do the skimming:

400 MK II Fusion Engines

50 Fuel Shuttles

10,000 Fuel Tankage

By doing SKIM, OC for the whole 10 AP's each turn at a Gas Giant you SKIM 100,000 fuel each turn. which is stored on the Gas Giant in a pop group. I just leave it there and move my ships to this planet just before jumping out of the system and also move my re-fueling ship back here periodically to re-load.