Rolling Thunder Forums

More Newby Questions

ali-t-akua

Hi Alti...err Alki...Hi Fishey :blink:

The Lerran Republic is also new to this quadrant. This is our 5th galactic cycle.

We pursued the 1 tech per RC approach and while we have had only 1 technology advancement from other than SRPs the next 2 turns could see up to 18 advancements bearing fruit, we have a handful in the progressing well phase and 13 to 15 in the good progress phase.

Some lessons that I've learned from my first couple turns.

Watch your movement orders as they relate to worlds you are surveying. For example, you can move to planet 3 and then do GEO, PMAP, and ORB orders on planet 3 or any moon associated with planet 3. However, emphasis, if you want to do a colony attrition survey (CSV) on moon 3a then you have to be located at moon 3a in order to perform the CSV.

Think big when it comes to construction. I've already revised almost all my original ship designs and multiplied them by a factor of 10. My smallest class of frieighter will be 100,000 cargo bays and even that is too small for my projected needs. I'll probably settle for 250,000 cbs per freighter till I get my Colony ships outfitted. I realized this when I went to load my construction materials for my first colony world and figured out it would take several turns just to haul enough conmats to build a power plant :blink:

Try to submit your ship designs 1 turn prior to building them. The Demon Murphy is alive and well in this world of fat fingers.

Of course with me being new I still have tons of questions too. Such as :lol: I know as I research new facilities that some of them will require improved/advanced construction materials. My question then is...Can you use the higher level materials to build lower tech items? Can you use improved construction materials to build normal mines? This is probably a moot point if my 2nd generation civil engineering unlocks a bunch of 'improved' facilities.

Also I'm assuming that since there seems to be no upgrade ability that I would need to issue DISM order to free up pop and then CON advanced facilities?

Thanks all and welcome to the game He who leaps from the water.

Chairman Luri Keen

Lerran Republic

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Alti...err Alki...Hi Fishey

Mahalo. Actually we are humanoid. Our ancestors spread over the world by sailing with their pigs, dogs and taro plants. Unfortunately our world is in the midst of global cooling and we now skate from place to place. Brrrrrrr. However we have this nice fish logo to remind us of our past.

1. Can you use the higher level materials to build lower tech items? Can you use improved construction materials to build normal mines? This is probably a moot point if my 2nd generation civil engineering unlocks a bunch of 'improved' facilities.

2. Also I'm assuming that since there seems to be no upgrade ability that I would need to issue DISM order to free up pop and then CON advanced facilities?

1. Nope. You'll need to keep producing ConMats to build mines. We lucked out: our first colony more or less coinided with Improved ICs, so we make a bunch of IMPConMats, DISM ICs, CON ImpICs, and ship the resulting ConMats over to the colony to build mines with.

2. Bingo. See above for a way around it.

Well I got my position set up and I have a couple questions/clarifications.

1. My fleet report has a vertical bar on it that is either green or red. I am guessing this has to do with either the fuel status or the capability for the ships to Warp. Which is correct? (The only red one I have is the surface fortress.)

2. On the Orbitial survey it shows I have hundreds of thousands of population. On the Colony Report it shows thousands. Is the Colony Report just the total of unemployed population?

Mahalo

PS It is really cold on our HW so if HBOB could forward a few kegs it would be most appreciated. :drunk:

The red bar indicates a non-warp-capable "ship". (Orbitals and ground bases are still "ships")

We've just sent a cargo vessel full of mead (25000 tons) to your homeworld. Could you be dears and fill it up with pineapple before you send it back? We're thinking the acids could help the yeast live longer and make for a more potent bottle.

Depends if the build was tooled or untooled...

If you set out to build 100,000 cargo bays UNTOOLED and you only built 90,000 this turn as you ran out of steel, then next turn you will try to build the remaining 10,000

If you set out to build 100,000 cargo bays TOOLED then each and every turn your industrial complexes will try to turn out 100,000 of them, regardless of what was built previously.

Another question. This time regarding Fuel.

On the HW you can manufacture Fuel. How do you get the Fuel from the Refinery to the Ship? Do you do a LC or a FUEL order? I notice that the FUEL order is for ship to ship or fleet to fleet so I did not think it was appropriate.

Also the SUPP order. Is that the only order that a refueling fleet can have? Can it also perform actions? I am asking because I am going to build orbitals over my world to handle the refueling needs of my ships. (My HW is a methane atmosphere with semi liquid hydrogen oceans so I can get a good cull from my own planet. :P

Also the SUPP order. Is that the only order that a refueling fleet can have? Can it also perform actions?

It just can't move. IN fact I have several tankers on resupply duty that also have a standing XLC Fuel order to keep it topped off. :P