Rolling Thunder Forums

More Newby Questions

ali-t-akua

This is a change from the rules, then?  They state that a fleet will only remain on SUPP orders until moved.

:lol:

I've offered several times to take on rules updates for the Powers That Be, but they'd rather keep it in-house, which I quite understand.

However, I am allowed to produce a 'Player's Guide', which they can then make available. :ranting:

I might have some free time coming up this August and am thinking of putting together an 'Alternate Rules Guide'. This would be based on the rules as they are now (provided RTG are happy I copy the words). And I'd be incorporating the Orders Supplement as well.

The whole idea is that we'd take the rules and orders and then add our own bits 'below'. What I'd put 'below' is the actual observed interpretation and anything on the subject that players want to contribute. If things ever change, loopholes are discovered and plugged, then I'd change the interpretation as we go along and issue an update (complete with listed amendments). And if the rules themselves change, then I hope RTG will allow me to keep up.

Obviously the first issue will be based very much on my own experience and knowledge, but I'll be soliciting for extra information. One of the things I hope to do is try and put all in one place the various scraps of knowledge, answers and changes that have come out in the last 20 months, or so.

Regards

Chief Scribe to Ur-Lord Tedric

There are problems with a player doing a rules update.

First, he will need to know exactly how the game works.

This means anything he is currently mis-informed about will need to be fixed, giving him an advantage. The advantage may go away when the new rules are published or it may in part at least remain.

Certainly Some other players will THINK he has an advantage, thereby causing in game problems and drops and such.

I would recommend you stop volunteering, IE I have seen you post this comment more than once, to rewrite the rules for the above reasones. I am sure there are other reasons I have not thought of, but those are the first to spring to mind.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a change from the rules, then?  They state that a fleet will only remain on SUPP orders until moved.

:lol:

I've offered several times to take on rules updates for the Powers That Be, but they'd rather keep it in-house, which I quite understand.

However, I am allowed to produce a 'Player's Guide', which they can then make available. :ranting:

I might have some free time coming up this August and am thinking of putting together an 'Alternate Rules Guide'. This would be based on the rules as they are now (provided RTG are happy I copy the words). And I'd be incorporating the Orders Supplement as well.

The whole idea is that we'd take the rules and orders and then add our own bits 'below'. What I'd put 'below' is the actual observed interpretation and anything on the subject that players want to contribute. If things ever change, loopholes are discovered and plugged, then I'd change the interpretation as we go along and issue an update (complete with listed amendments). And if the rules themselves change, then I hope RTG will allow me to keep up.

Obviously the first issue will be based very much on my own experience and knowledge, but I'll be soliciting for extra information. One of the things I hope to do is try and put all in one place the various scraps of knowledge, answers and changes that have come out in the last 20 months, or so.

Regards

Chief Scribe to Ur-Lord Tedric

As to the players guide, that sounds very nice. As long as RTG is not involved, IE does not correct the errors that are bound to appear in the guide.

I have a dumb question for all you learned Emperors.

How do you add items to a planets surface fortress? I can't seem to find a command. Surely you don't have to redesign it each time...

Rather embarrassed head Scientist for 'The Other'

:ranting:

You can not add items, but you can build another PDS to sit next to it. Like more than one ship in a fleet.

A couple of new questions

1. I just got my first CSV back and the attrtion is listed as moderate. Can anyone shed some light on what that means?

2. For a Warp survey do all of the JSS have to be on the same ship or just in the same fleet if I need multiple JSS to crack a warp point?

I am sure I will have more questions after I spend more time pondering my turn but these popped up after my first look.

Mahalo

Moderate is fairly low attrition, my High attrition planet was 11 to 12 percent. What you need to look at is what is causing the attrition. you do this by looking at the longest bars, that are not favorable. If the bars are temp and atmosphere, then you research the installations designed to fix whatever is causing the attrition, domed cities is an example of such an installation. If you have the installation to counter the problem, then colonize there first.

A couple of new questions

1. I just got my first CSV back and the attrtion is listed as moderate. Can anyone shed some light on what that means?

2. For a Warp survey do all of the JSS have to be on the same ship or just in the same fleet if I need multiple JSS to crack a warp point?

I am sure I will have more questions after I spend more time pondering my turn but these popped up after my first look.

Mahalo

NOT sure, I do keep all the ships in the same fleet.

Moderate is fairly low attrition, my High attrition planet was 11 to 12 percent. What you need to look at is what is causing the attrition. you do this by looking at the longest bars, that are not favorable. If the bars are temp and atmosphere, then you research the installations to fix this, like domed cities. If you have the installation to counter the problem, then colonize there first.

Mahalo.

Atmosphere was the longest bar. Was your high attrition planet 11 to 12 percent before or after you put in the installations to fix this problem?

Moderate is fairly low attrition, my High attrition planet was 11 to 12 percent. What you need to look at is what is causing the attrition. you do this by looking at the longest bars, that are not favorable. If the bars are temp and atmosphere, then you research the installations to fix this, like domed cities. If you have the installation to counter the problem, then colonize there first.

Mahalo.

Atmosphere was the longest bar. Was your high attrition planet 11 to 12 percent before or after you put in the installations to fix this problem?

The 11 to 12 percent was before I built any installations.

Domed cities help ATM

The 11 to 12 percent was before I built any installations.

Domed cities help ATM

Mahalo :cheers:

That is my second research target after Mk III JSS.

Another question. DO you fuel fleets from pop groups by using the LC order or the FUEL order? The FUEL order says its fleet to fleet but I wanted to be sure.

You use 1 fuel per 1000 tons of the ship, times the warp multiplier. For the various warp classes:

A = 1

B = 2

C = 4

D = 9

E = 16

F = 25

G = 36

So, jumping a 12,000 ton ship through a class A warp point uses 12 x 1 = 12 Fuel. Jumping the same ship through a class E warp point uses 12 x 16 = 192 Fuel.

Another way to look at it .. your 12000 ton ship with 1200 fuel uses 12 fuel per jump per warp multiplier. The ship can jump through a total of 100 Warp class multipliers before running out of fuel. Depending on the stars in your area, that would normally be enough to go about 4-6 stars / jumps, on average.

I really appreciate the patience everyone has shown with the endless questions I have asked. Unfortunately here are some more.

What is the FOB order and what does it do? Likewise for EXILE? :cheers:

The FOB order gives you some of the details for your own fleet that you see in a Naval Battle...

Currently it shows (by ship type) the 5 design area descriptors (eg Fire Control: Outstanding....) and some of the major ship details are listed as well as the morale and experience levels.

We're hoping that dear old wonderful Pete will be modifying the FOB code to replicate the New Naval Battle listing style for your own fleets so that the information will become even useful and we can both settle down and design sensible ships and determine where in the Deployed Location 'lines' we should/could put them.....

[Pete, is this likely?]

The EXILE order will remove the chosen Legendary Character from your list. This will probably only be used when people start to reach the maximum number of characters per empire (500?) and wish to improve their chances/final total of particular character types....

Regards

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

We're hoping that dear old wonderful Pete will be modifying the FOB code to replicate the New Naval Battle listing style for your own fleets so that the information will become even useful and we can both settle down and design sensible ships and determine where in the Deployed Location 'lines' we should/could put them.....

[Pete, is this likely?]

An updated Orders Supplement would also be very useful for newbies. Are there any plans to do an update, Pete or Russ?