Rolling Thunder Forums

Time Line

T'Aleen Empire

Um, I supose this could add some interesting color to the game but perhaps thinking of our local neighborhood would put this in a bit better perspective?

1 AU = ~93 million miles

1 light year = ~ 6 trillion miles.

1 light year therefore = > ~64,500 AU

Nearest neighbor to Sol = 4.3 l.y. = > ~277,350 AU

Dense young nebula (star birthing arenas) are on the order of 10's of l.y. across and are ridiculously inhospitable places. (unless one is very radiation tolerant!). Having stars within 2,500 AU of one another would not allow planetary disks to form in the first place (gravitional competition between neighbors would not allow such structures to exist long enough to have planets coalesce, nor allow life to develop).

Only after a star-forming region of space disperses and allows individual star systems the time to capture material to form planets could life arise.) At least as this sentient imagines it.

Once one introduces hyperspace or wormholes into the picture (or whatever warp points turn out to be) all bets are really off as to distance. It's taken Voyager I/II around 20 years to get anywhere near Sol's heliopause - about 100 AU out. But a hyperspace point could move you anywhere really in no time at all b/c hyperspace (hypothetcially) connects points in a fashion unrelated to normal space "geography". I could take a step through hyperspace and end up 100 meters away or 100 light years away and the trip would take me the same amount of time. (depending on which s.f. version of hyperspace / folding / wormholes you adhere to....) Trying to develop a time scale based on that seems difficult at best.

I appreciate the attempt though. :D But, I think that trying to build a time frame from research/production realities may give a better sense.

I think most of us would agree that one turn is more than two weeks of game time. Setting it at a month would suggest that it took a year for our scientists to develop Razor Wire :D But in other ways a month even seems too short....

In the end, it doesn't matter b/c Friday/Saturday never come quickly enough... :P

-LX