Rolling Thunder Forums

GS Session 2

EternusIV

Guest Zy'lar'isa

ooc: if i could possible get the piece of crap forum to work I'll finally get my votes up, otherwise i'm about to put a bullet into my monitor and take up smoke signalling.....

The Honorable Senator from The Nest of Zylaria votes:

GS061704-2-01 "YES"

GS061704-2-02 "NO"

GS061704-2-03 "YES"

And The Nest seconds the following:

GS BYLAW PROPOSAL: HANNIBAL-LOGION ANTI-PIRACY BILL

GS BYLAW PROPOSAL: HANNIBAL-QUEEN MOTHER ANTI-PIRACY BILL

And We propose that a committee be appointed to reach a consenus on a bylaw dealing with the issue of Anti-piracy that could be presented to replace all this confusion.

Senator-Queen Zy'lar'isa, The Nest of Zylaria

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And We propose that a committee be appointed to reach a consenus on a bylaw dealing with the issue of Anti-piracy that could be presented to replace all this confusion.

Senator-Queen Zy'lar'isa, The Nest of Zylaria

We would second the motion to establish a committee to deal with the important issue of Piracy.

Senator Logion

Benthis Collective

The Witch King Star Seeker from Lostworlds 1290 votes:

GS BILL 061704-2-01 [Anti-Piracy Bill] -----------------Nay

GS BILL 061704-2-02 [unified Player Endorsement]---Nay

GS BILL 061704-2-03 [standardized Commerce]------Nay

In the good old days piracy was generally committed by indivduals or a few individuals but not openly by any nation. Once a nation got involved it was called war. In this game there is no such thing as "piracy", any act of agression is war since all of the perpetrators are part of an empire. Piracy is also hampered by not being able to hide your identity. Without the mask of annonimity you don't get piracy you get acts of war.

Now there may be some actual piracy by Pete's death machines or some sort of roving group of ships, but not by any players.

Face it, no matter what face you put on it, when you contiously decide to attack somebody else it is an act of war. Period.

:P:cheers::cheers::thumbsup:

It is my understanding that the anti-piracy laws proposed, do not prevent an empire from going to war, just from theft. Therefore, if I am not at war with Eternus, I can not plunder/steal/pilfer/etc. his cargo ships. HOWEVER, if I declare war on Eternus, I am free to acquire as many spoils of war as I can handle. :cheers: (rum)

and of course nothing prevents the HBOB with supplying Rum to the pirates... :P

In the good old days piracy was generally committed by indivduals or a few individuals but not openly by any nation. Once a nation got involved it was called war. In this game there is no such thing as "piracy", any act of agression is war since all of the perpetrators are part of an empire. Piracy is also hampered by not being able to hide your identity. Without the mask of annonimity you don't get piracy you get acts of war.

Now there may be some actual piracy by Pete's death machines or some sort of roving group of ships, but not by any players.

Face it, no matter what face you put on it, when you contiously decide to attack somebody else it is an act of war. Period.

:D:D:D:D

Oh Pooh! :P

Yes, we know you're right, but don't take the fun out of it....... ;)

In this case we can have Pirate Nations, they just like to have their own individual flags.

If your empire loses its ships, or even colonies, to a 'pirate' then it's an act of aggression whatever way you look at it.

We would be happy to draw a distinction between those empires that indulge in raids upon commerce as 'pirates', as opposed to those who are out to destroy your empire and force you out of the game.... :P

Chief Existentialist to Ur-Lord Tedric

:P:D:D:D

As far as I'm aware there's no game mechanic for it, but in yea olde days, nations would issue 'Letters of Marquis' wouldn't they?

Surely pirate clans would band together in a loose federation fighting everyone (including themselves sometimes)?

Hughestrog,

I think you're right. If I remember my school history lessons correctly, in the 16th century there were English "privateers" who were issued Letters of Marque by Queen Elizabeth that gave them permission to capture Spanish treasure ships returning from the New World.

These Letters of Marque changed the privateers from "Pirates" to "Commerce Raiders" in English Law :P . However, in Spanish Law, they were still Pirates, and if any of them were caught then they were hanged as such. :D

In SNROTE, the Pirate Nations can issue Letters of Marque to their ships :D , whereas the other nations can ignore these Letters. :D

Is history about to repeat itself?

Guest Zy'lar'isa
Do you guys want an official bylaw on that or just chat up the committee informally?

Chat up.....

Senator Queen Zy'lar'isa

The Nest of Zylaria #4933

hobknob Posted on Jun 17 2004, 09:37 PM

In this game there is no such thing as "piracy", any act of agression is war since all of the perpetrators are part of an empire.

We believe the distinction, concerning piracy, is in conducting hostilities while NOT in a declared war. Pirates, even whole empires of pirates, generally attack all manner of targets they desire without ever declaring war. The declaration of war, at the least, honorably states and forewarns an empire's decision to conduct hostilities.

As to the attacking of a neutral or computer-controlled empire, the piracy laws would obviously not apply.

Enforcement of Senate bylaws would be by the Senate. No bylaw could be written to cover EVERY possibility. The goal of a bylaw/bill should be to lay down the general philosophy of the Galactic Senate. The Senate, in deliberation, would decide if there was a breach.

We maintain that piracy can and does exist and how the Senate deals with piracy and war will be two different things.

GS BILL 061704-2-01: Yes

GS BILL 061704-2-02: Yes

GS BILL 061704-2-03: Yes

GS BILL 061704-2-04: Yes

We are obviously in support of anti-piracy legislation, galactic economic growth, and a Senate unobstructed by members with empires diametrically opposed to the Senate's own bylaws.