Rolling Thunder Forums

Effects of colony bonuses on home system

Spaceman

Cold HW are the best. At 90K you have a 99% chance that asteroid belts and any planet with a Vaccum is within your planetary temperature range. This takes out one of the major attritions.

Yep. With a HW of around 90 degrees K, I have Very Low attrition on asteroids, even with a vaccuum. It helps to be a colonizing race.

Thanks again, Martin and Mark G. for guiding me to that choice. :python:

Tom

I am going to have to take your word on that one. :python:

All but one of the worlds that have no atmosphere (Vacuum) are listed as a Hot Rockball and their temperatures approach 500 degrees Kelvin.

What kind of stars do those planets have? The systems with planets that I have seen only range from F to K type stars and the cooler ones belong to Binary Star systems. It is very hot in my side of the galaxy!

What kind of stars do those planets have? The systems with planets that I have seen only range from F to K type stars and the cooler ones belong to Binary Star systems. It is very hot in my side of the galaxy!

My HW has a K class star. I don't believe that the class of star has to do with the planetary temperature. In fact as I ponder my position set up it is abundently clear that stellar class, distance from the star and planetary temperature are not related. My HW is 0.7 AU from the star. (In fact everything in my system is within 0.7 AU from the star.) Yet my HW mean temp is 63 K.

I am not complaining though. I have super colonization bonuses so I hope to overcome the low temp issue.

:python:

I have noticed that some areas of space tend to have different concentrations of high or low temp planets.

I am one of those with a low starting temp and it is truly the best way to go. Wit a low tem you can pretty easily colonize any asteroid or vacuum planet with reasonable or no attrition. I run a decent colonizer with 29 planets in the home system and I can get to most all of them except the gas giants with moderate or better attirition and most of them are either very low or ideal. The only real exception is a planet with nasty bugs. Even the Gas Gaints may turn out to be more useful with the recent changes to thermal control devices.

So, if you wnat a good colonizer you want lots of colonization bonus, lots of planets in system and you want to start on a cold planet.

One of my positions starts rather warm and I find it to be a real pain to find anything that I can colonize, let alone something worth colonizing.

:python:

I have the bug ridden planet slated for a live fire range and for the experimenting with ice-1 planet. :cheers:

You'd better run that by the:

PETA - People for the ethical treatment of Aliens

ACLU

NWF

Greenpeace

Utopians for a Perfect Techless World

and Gawd knows who else.

Basically, the EPA paperwork alone will take 40 orders a turn for 20 turns. B)

Gads. And here I am plodding along with 440 new pops every turn and happy with sending about a quarter of those out to 4 developing colonies!

Early on, as an experiment, I colonized a moon about my HW which was, basically, THE Moon. At first, losses were acceptable. Now I'm seeking tech to make the colony more serviceable and less of a penal colony. Domed Cities helped, as did Colony Centers, Sports centers and the rest. I'll have temperature modifying tech in the near future, and atmosphere exchangers down the line. The last would appear to be power-hogs, but it will be interesting to see just how much one will affect things.

As far as habitable worlds are concerned, the Gosht Kohr had only one nice planet in the home system, but there was another zero-attrit rate world one jump away. Other colonies exist, but are growing more slowly.

B)

I actually set up a spreadsheet with Spectral Class, AU info, Number and Type of planets.......

no trends popped out.

Those were in the days when I had more time B)

I could dust it off and see if there is a relation with the gobs and gobs of data I have.

Couple things that stick out to me....

If you are a colonizer, you end up with low number of worlds

If you are a ground combat race, you end up with a homeworld LACKING in stuff like Grains, Water etc. and you get an abundance of Iron and Lumber

If you have a temperature weakness, you'll end up on a planet with the temperature type that you are actually WEAK to :lol:

In other words....it all looks random to me!

with a non-extreme homeworld temperature.

HW with a surface temp of 98 K. Cold. Very cold. Wouldn't like to go out at night that's for sure!

Actually you are too lucky for your own good. While the hotheads scramble around looking for boiling rocks, count up how many moons and astroids your domed cities can start harvesting as soon as you can build them. See Pete's note!

Cold ain't cold its cool!

with a non-extreme homeworld temperature.

HW with a surface temp of 98 K. Cold. Very cold. Wouldn't like to go out at night that's for sure!

Actually you are too lucky for your own good. While the hotheads scramble around looking for boiling rocks, count up how many moons and astroids your domed cities can start harvesting as soon as you can build them. See Pete's note!

Cold ain't cold its cool!

You're assuming that I have other planets in my system! Only got one and one asteroid belt. No moons and a solitary class D warp point!

And as EternusIV pointed out, with my race having better combat features than colonising features, I've no "Grains, Water etc. and you get an abundance of Iron and Lumber".

Not all a lost cause though!