Rolling Thunder Forums

Would it be possible???

hobknob

It would also seem quite possible from what I've gleaned in our local wargames to actually pass a fleet by which has scrappy sensors or is *ahem* otherwise affected in its sensor capabilities AND gain a sighting of that picket fleet when it is doing its SENS while it does not pick up you :oops:

/Locklyn

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe he said that combining the reports would be difficult. However, if you have found a clever way to do so, Pete, could you also add Legendary Characters to the same report? That way I can see what the Fleet is comprised of, what it is carrying and any notable personages that are travelling along. :D

Requested with great humility,

-SK :D

What I would like also, is the ability to rename a ship class.

Where this came to light for me was with my new Albemarle class which I was expecting to be above Battleship in size, but turned out to be still classified like my other Alabama and Texas class battleships.

So, what I would want to do is rename the class to be in line with my other Battleship class ships.

Is this possible or will it mess up the database?

Tom

Rathe Federation

I believe he said that combining the reports would be difficult. However, if you have found a clever way to do so, Pete, could you also add Legendary Characters to the same report? That way I can see what the Fleet is comprised of, what it is carrying and any notable personages that are travelling along. :D

Requested with great humility,

-SK :ph34r:

Listing the ranks of the special characters with the fleet report would be very handy. The rank is much more important than the name.

Where this came to light for me was with my new Albemarle class which I was expecting to be above Battleship in size, but turned out to be still classified like my other Alabama and Texas class battleships.

So, what I would want to do is rename the class to be in line with my other Battleship class ships.

Tom

Rathe Federation

A problem with allowing renaming would be that once you've seen a particular alien ship class, they would rename it to mislead you. This could be especially effective in a war.

Actually it would be nice if the parameters for determining ship class were published. Sometimes I would like class names appropriate for a particular class, but unless I've built similar ships before, I don't know what that class designation will be. Is there a good reason for keeping this secret?

I didn't publish the ship naming list for a couple of reasons: for one, it gives you something to catalogue as you determine new ship names. Also, there are some neat ship names that are kind of...unusual...and if you manage to get one it would be unique for your empire until somebody else figures it out.

Tom

Rathe Federation

Renaming is possible, but would lead to shell games. Empires in conflict would just keep renaming their classes endlessly to confuse the issue. Artificial limits on how often it could be done would just delay the problem, while other ships would be worked into the shell game shenanigans.

Changing fleet code is another issue - that I'll definitely add. That doesn't affect the enemy at all in terms of renaming over and over, and simply helps you to organize your ships into proper naval encounter plans.