Rolling Thunder Forums

Fleet/Ship Repair

octagon999

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just don't want to handle the realities of REAL logistics.......

Armchair generals - pooh!  :robot:

Exactly. No we don't. :oops:

I don't want no game that's harder than a real job. That's why work is a four letter word.

:ranting:

You just don't know what's good for you!

If I got as much fun out of work as I do from pondering the nuances of my game spreadsheets, then I'd be a happy bunny!!! :blink:

I pray for the job that's as interesting and involving....... :ph34r:

Mx

pletely agree.  The LAST thing I think ANYONE needs is something that consumes more orders, or makes things harder.

I mean, jeez, maybe we could have seven KINDS of raw resources, metallic, organic, sulfuric, etc, and then combine them to form RRs.  :)

Well, there's only, what, about 116 elements in the periodic table? Pete might like to throw in a few more futuristic ones. So call it 120-130 base elements.

If scrapping is going to be at 100% efficiency, then I say machine shops, repair bays, mobile shipyards, etc. should not cost resources to use. But if they do, then I would suggest some sort of generic Repair Materials that represents a selection of parts and supplies most likely to be needed to repair battle damage. Perhaps each ton costs something like 1 Steel, 1 Electronics, 1 Synthetic Materials, 1 Fuel, and 1 Transaluminum. Sure it would be an abstraction, but one that's in the interest of playability.

On the crated fighters / drones issue, I strongly support some form of crating for expendable munitions. The simplest would be to allow carrying of fighters / drones in standard cargo holds. They just wouldn't be combat capable when so carried. Unless fighters / drones are much more powerful per ton than other weapons, it's not fair to the fighter / drone races to require them to go home to reload.

I believe that THEY ARE that superior to require this. You essentially need to research multiple fields to increase fighter effectiveness:

The Fighter itself (there are lots of different types)

Pulse Engines (Only used by fighters)

CIDS weapons etc....

In fact some fighter type descriptions indicate that fighters are essentially small starships without the warp movement ability.

I was only indicating that they are somewhat equilavent to small starships and have the weapons that you have currently researched. Drones are equipped with the MDD's you have researched along with the Pulse Engines too. The requirement of restocking them is a fair balance in my opinion.

I don't really follow your argument. If the fighter / drone users already have to invest so heavily in research for that one weapons system, why should they be further encumbered by having to go home to reload, unlike all of the other weapons systems?

It is because the advantage is HUGE versus players that don't use fighters and drones. The empires that wish to conserve resources by not using fighters and drones will suffer greater losses in battle and will have to replace those ships instead. Personally I would rather replace fighters than ships.