Rolling Thunder Forums

OT: Aliens

EternusIV

Do you think we are alone in the universe?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What would be the statistical chance of our planet being the only one in our galaxy (let alone the Universe) to enable life to develop?

I'm no mathmatician, but it has to be small which ever way you look at it. Then there's the fact that the further we look at something to understand it, it usually throws up more questions then it answers, and yet, it all seems to work.

I find that amazing, and I'd be very surprised if everything came together 'just right' to enable that to happen somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong, we've found organisms on the planet which don't require oxygen but sulphur (oceanic volcanic vents). There are extremophiles (organisms, usually bacteria) that can survive in down right hostile environments, so it may be possible. But it would come down to chemistry, and then it has to be carbon based. Then the chances of that happening have to be even smaller.

Just my random thoughts..........

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to bring up scifi to make a point, but I thought of one of the Foundation books when I read some of these posts. Seldon explains it is possible for him to visit twenty-five million planets and meet each of the forty billion souls in existance, but it is impractical. The reason I mention this is that if my basic astronomy is accurate we're nowhere near anything astronmically interesting.

So, if you're an advanced alien species (and what's to say they're not in a stone age, just figuring out fire), where would you go? There is so much to see out there, why would you go to Timbuktu of the Milky Way?

I personally like to think that we are not alone out there, but it is verrry unlikely that they are popping in for a visit.

Thoughts on invasion? Why would they? Is there a shortage of planets in the Milky Way?

Lord Uriel

One thing I have always thoght would make a cool scifi concept was the idea that Civilization is as old as humanity, i.e. 100,000 years. History says we have only been civilized for 6 or 7 thousand years. The fact is, however, that most of human archeology and history is on the continental self in the Indian Ocean. We do not know what came before the last ice age! Maybe all the UFOs we are seeing are US, just not the us we are familiar with? If anatomically modern humans have been here for at least 100,000 years why would we have not developed civilizations before. Sure they may not have had the same ideas as we do, so they would have different concepts of technology, but still, they could have flown and built massive cities and great works of art and alchemy. All that silly Chariots of the Gods stuff might be refering to humanity before the last galciation? Who knows?

:( If one believes the pop-culture and etc...one might believe in the past mankind progressed to a higher state culture and tech (Atlantis, Murr)! Then because of some natural disaster or etc, their civilization was whiped. If as pop-culture has it, some 10,000 yrs have passed since those civilizations faded, and it has taken us this long to rebuild ourselves.

:cheers: Think of it this way, if our own culture took a major hit...what would reamin of our modern stuff. Our great cities would be dust, and what wasn't dust would be covered or barried. Plastic would be around, but would they be able to identify it and etc....that is another question. I feel that our culture is most likely the first world-wide culture that has existed and most likely once again we are most likely the first culture that uses wide spread synthetic materials and etc...

Well my thoughts anyway... :cheers:

:( If one believes the pop-culture and etc...one might believe in the past mankind progressed to a higher state culture and tech (Atlantis, Murr)! Then because of some natural disaster or etc, their civilization was whiped. If as pop-culture has it, some 10,000 yrs have passed since those civilizations faded, and it has taken us this long to rebuild ourselves.

:cheers: Think of it this way, if our own culture took a major hit...what would reamin of our modern stuff. Our great cities would be dust, and what wasn't dust would be covered or barried. Plastic would be around, but would they be able to identify it and etc....that is another question. I feel that our culture is most likely the first world-wide culture that has existed and most likely once again we are most likely the first culture that uses wide spread synthetic materials and etc...

Well my thoughts anyway... :cheers:

Exactly. In fact 10000 years ago is is when there was a massive shift in climate and the

Ice Age came to an abrupt end and inundated most of the places folks probably lived. Even today, Las Vagas is the exception :-), people cluster around lakes rivers and the sea shore. When the Ice melts again in 50 years many many will be diplaced, drown, or starve since these low laying areas are also where we tend to grow food.

I think this explains things nicely:

You are a fluke

Of the universe.

You have no right to be here.....

Deteriorata! Deteriorata!

Go placidly

Amid the noise and waste.

And remember what comfort there may be

In owning a piece thereof.

Avoid quiet and passive persons

Unless you are in need of sleep.

Ro-tate your tires.

Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself

And heed well their advice,

Even though they be turkeys.

Know what to kiss.....and when!

Consider that two wrongs never make a right

But that THREE.........do.

Wherever possible, put people on hold.

Be comforted that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment

And despite the changing fortunes of time,

There is always a big future in computer main-te-nance.

Chorus

You are a fluke

Of the universe.

You have no right to be here.

And whether you can hear it or not

The universe is laughing behind your back.

Remember the Pueblo.

Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle and mu-ti-late.

Know yourself.

If you need help, call the FBI.

Exercise caution in your daily affairs,

Especially with those persons closest to you.

That lemon on your left, for instance.

Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls

Would scarcely get your feet wet.

Fall not in love therefore;

It will stick to your face.

Gracefully surrender the things of youth:

The birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan

And let not the sands of time

Get in your lunch.

Hire people with looks.

For a good time call 606-4311;

Ask for "Candy."

Take heart amid the deepening gloom

That your dog is finally getting enough cheese.

And reflect that whatever misfortune may be your lot

It could only be worse in Milwaukee.

Chorus

You are a fluke

Of the universe.

Therefore, make peace with your god

Whatever you conceive him to be---

Hairy thunderer, or cosmic muffin.

With all its hopes, dreams, promises and urban renewal

The world continues to deteriorate.

GIVE UP!

Reprise

You are a fluke

Of the universe.

Sakarissa :(

The Oracle prefers:

------------------------------------------

Some say the world will end in fire;

Some say in ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those who favor fire.

But if it had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate

To know that for destruction ice

Is also great

And would suffice.

Fire and Ice

Robert Frost

Another thought on the chances of life occuring on a planet anywhere else....

The solar system that we live in is relatively docile with regards to stellar activity and the planets which are around us actually act as shields from comets and asteroids which severly diminish the chances that we could be hit by comets or asteroids. Jupiter is so large with such a huge gravitational pull that it usually grabs anything close and burns it up. If it were not for Jupiter we would probably experience Ice Ages and cataclysmic environmental shifts much more often. There has to be a significant period of non-cataclysmic time for life to fourish if our time scale of development is accurate and other systems with such a planetary configuration would be the first place to look.

:P My guess is, if another intelligent life form discovered us...at first they would sit back and observe us. After a while they would determine that as a culture we have no central unity as of yet, and that we fight amongst ourselves still. With that observation, they would most likely not make open contact with us but rather observe us in secret for a long time.

:ph34r: Now as pop-culture has it, we see UFOs, people report 'Abductions' and etc...I would say if that was true, then maybe just maybe we are being observed now. The true purpose and reasons fails to be clear to us the 'lab rats' but maybe some day it will become clear.

:robot: My guess Aliens will make contact when we as a race form a single world wide government, and begin to colonize other planets within our own system like; the Earth's Moon (Luna), Mars, and moons of Jupitor and Saturn. I also feel if we were to discover a drive system that would allow us to travel to another system, that once we made it there...we would be contacted.

:D Most likely they would say, 'Hi there, your not alone'...and your not the big cheese anymore so play nice or else... :python:

Just my thoughts...

"Modern" humans have been around closer to 40000 years than 100000. Just being nit-picky.

Not true, as far as I know. Homo sapiens have been here for at least 100000 and possibly as much as 120000 years according to some estimates. Just this year anthropologists found jewrly in a cave in South Africa dated to 70000 years ago in a known homo sapien site! The problem is most of our kind perished about 40000 years ago when Indonesia underwent a period of terrible vulcanism. It is speculated that we dwendled to less that 10000 modern humans. The mDNA taken from all over the world points to us all having a common set of mothers some 40000 years ago in the Ethiopia (the survivors presumably). Obviously that population had to have preceding generations before it and the fossil record indicates those ancestors were us. I do, however, believ that something happened 40000 years ago because we left Africa, possibly for the first time.

But hey, I am no paleontologist, I just play one on-line :lol:

I think this explains things nicely:

You are a fluke

Of the universe.

You have no right to be here.....

Deteriorata! Deteriorata!

Go placidly

Amid the noise and waste.

And remember what comfort there may be

In owning a piece thereof.

Avoid quiet and passive persons

Unless you are in need of sleep.

Ro-tate your tires.

Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself

And heed well their advice,

Even though they be turkeys.

Know what to kiss.....and when!

Consider that two wrongs never make a right

But that THREE.........do.

Wherever possible, put people on hold.

Be comforted that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment

And despite the changing fortunes of time,

There is always a big future in computer main-te-nance.

Chorus

You are a fluke

Of the universe.

Remember the Pueblo.

Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle and mu-ti-late.

Know yourself.

If you need help, call the FBI.

Exercise caution in your daily affairs,

Especially with those persons closest to you.

That lemon on your left, for instance.

Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls

Would scarcely get your feet wet.

Fall not in love therefore;

It will stick to your face.

Gracefully surrender the things of youth:

The birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan

And let not the sands of time

Get in your lunch.

Hire people with looks.

For a good time call 606-4311;

Ask for "Candy."

Take heart amid the deepening gloom

That your dog is finally getting enough cheese.

And reflect that whatever misfortune may be your lot

It could only be worse in Milwaukee.

Chorus

You are a fluke

Of the universe.

Therefore, make peace with your god

Whatever you conceive him to be---

Hairy thunderer, or cosmic muffin.

With all its hopes, dreams, promises and urban renewal

The world continues to deteriorate.

GIVE UP!

Reprise

You are a fluke

Of the universe.

Sakarissa :python:

Is this piece called "Deteriorata" or the "IT Holicaust?" I like it!

:D It is my hope that in my life-time (I'm ag 40 now) that in say 30-40 yrs that we actually do see mankind settle perminate outposts on the moon, has walked on Mars, and sent at least unmanned probes to the moons of both Jupitor and Saturn. Furthormore I hope that within the life time of my two sons (their 8.5 and 5 yrs old now) that they live to see colonies on the Moon (Luna), Mars, and manned science outpost on many of the other moons and planets within our own solar system. I feel this is all possible and we will find as more technologies become standard production that space travel costs will come down. The first step is to retire fossile fuels and that is slowly happening even now as we speak.

We all live in a great time in human history and we will see much in the next 30-40 yrs, that will make us all proud :python: