Rolling Thunder Forums

OT: Aliens

EternusIV

Do you think we are alone in the universe?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

:D It is my hope that in my life-time (I'm ag 40 now) that in say 30-40 yrs that we actually do see mankind settle perminate outposts on the moon, has walked on Mars, and sent at least unmanned probes to the moons of both Jupitor and Saturn. Furthormore I hope that within the life time of my two sons (their 8.5 and 5 yrs old now) that they live to see colonies on the Moon (Luna), Mars, and manned science outpost on many of the other moons and planets within our own solar system. I feel this is all possible and we will find as more technologies become standard production that space travel costs will come down. The first step is to retire fossile fuels and that is slowly happening even now as we speak.

We all live in a great time in human history and we will see much in the next 30-40 yrs, that will make us all proud :python:

I hope to see this too, but it will be unlikely to happen as long as space remains a government program--welfare for defense contractors during the off season--instead of place to explore, use, and live.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Homo sapiens has been around nearly 100k years, yes. But then you're talking Neanderthals (Homo sapiens neanderthalensis). Modern humans (Homo sapiens sapiens) has been around about 40k years, as evidenced by the archaeological digs in Ethiopia and artistic remains in Australia.

The Benthis Collective Posted on Jul 1 2004, 09:32 AM

I hope to see this too, but it will be unlikely to happen as long as space remains a government program--welfare for defense contractors during the off season--instead of place to explore, use, and live.

Well, Burt Rutan designed and launched a private space craft that went into space in just the last 2 weeks. He is incredibly inventive and successful...look for him again in a month or a couple months to claim the X-Prize of $10million

Link: http://www.xprize.org/press/what.html

The Benthis Collective Posted on Jul 1 2004, 09:32 AM

Well, Burt Rutan designed and launched a private space craft that went into space in just the last 2 weeks. He is incredibly inventive and successful...look for him again in a month or a couple months to claim the X-Prize of $10million

Link: http://www.xprize.org/press/what.html

I am a big fan of the X-Prize Foundation, the Artemis Society and other like groups. It is the entrapreneurial zeal of the people that will take us to the stars. Once we are there the military Industrial Complex can get loads of corporate welfare to protect us :python:

I was very excited about Burt Rutan's voyage. He did at least as well as Alan Shepard on his first trip and for a fraction of the cost! I am not taking anything away from our astronauts, now, just saying NASA has out lived its usefullness, at least where human spaceflight is concerned. It should focus on Science like the Cassini mission. There is just too much institutional momentum for NASA to be a practical impetuous for creating a robust space-based economic sector, much less a full fledged colonization effort.

Shane