Rolling Thunder Forums

GS Session 3

EternusIV

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ShadowKitsune Posted on Jul 16 2004, 08:24 AM
As in all things it is a question of perspective and enforcement.

If all of the members of the Galactic Senate deem that a particular system is Neutral then, for them, the system is neutral. If a non-member 'claims' the system, it means nothing, unless they back the claim by force of arms, which will incur the wrath of the Galactic Senate should that Empire fire upon a Galactic Senate member.

Of course. But you are jumping to conclusions that have no base. If this is about the latest bill, there is no provision for the "list" as being ordained by the Senate...it's just a list where Senators can provide system names. Nothing says the entire Senate or even one more Senator will back a member's listing of a system as neutral...it is on a by-empire basis, not a GS basis.

It is easy to nay-say EVERY positive action by pointing out the situation whereby it will not work. But the result is inaction, and thus the nay-say process is considered pointless in our culture, for nothing gets done and no progress is made. We consider it much more honorable to actually work toward a goal, rather than mire ourselves in inaction because a solution is not perfect.

Wrath of the Senate?...where is the basis for this accusation? And the Senate is hardly a body so large as to cause concern...and yet so much interest.

Well Said Senator Justinian! Although in fairness, I do not believe the good being was critical so much as analytical. In any event, our government does not make a habit of pitting the perfect against the good. It is our hope that the GS will pass our bill and that it will serve as an inspiration to others, a positivae statement that the Galactic Senate is for peace and mutual prosperity.

Senator Logion, 4579

:ranting: Thank you Justinion for your reply and to further clarify the comment made by Shadowkitsune. I will give some consideration to actually joining the GS. What at this point would I need to do, if I choose to join?

Tyean Corrella

First Citizen of the T'Aleen Empire

Good Being Corrella, you havce only to utter the magic words found in Galactic Senate Sec 1.

Senator Logion, 4579 :drunk:

:ranting: T'Aleen Empire[4526] wishes to join the Galactic Senate

I hereby wish to enjoy the protections and benefits of the Galactic Senate and promise to honor the Bylaws ratified by the Galactic Senate. I remain a sovereign empire, but will honor any duties imposed upon me by the Senate for as long as I choose to remain a member. I also promise to inspire non-members to the high ideals for which the Galactic Senate stands.”

First Citizen: Tyean Corrella

OOC...aka...Penn Eckert

OOC: Is this the correct magical set of words...?

:ranting: T'Aleen Empire[4526] wishes to join the Galactic Senate

I hereby wish to enjoy the protections and benefits of the Galactic Senate and promise to honor the Bylaws ratified by the Galactic Senate. I remain a sovereign empire, but will honor any duties imposed upon me by the Senate for as long as I choose to remain a member. I also promise to inspire non-members to the high ideals for which the Galactic Senate stands.”

First Citizen: Tyean Corrella

OOC...aka...Penn Eckert

OOC: Is this the correct magical set of words...?

Welcome :lol:

Regarding the actions of Senator M'Bete's Government, the Senate should reserve judgment until we actually know what happened. Regardless of fault, however, it would seem appropriate for the Senate to appoint a special envoy to attempt a peaceful resolution of this matter and arrive a some greater understanding of the causes of this crises. Is anyone in actual contact with the Pheonix Empire, besides the Scanners? Perhaps Senator M'Bete would be kind enough to give the Senate the contact information for this race so that we might arrive at a just and equitable restoration of peace and tranquility.

Senator Logion

Sorry this is a cut and paste from the other thread, but I think it is best posted under this thread.

"So that being said, we should have a policy of investigation, and I propose the following Bylaw to the Galactic Senate:

"Once any incident between two or more empires, where at least one of the empires involved is a member of the Galactic Senate, is brought to the attention of the Galactic Senate an Investigation Committee (hereinafter 'Committee') of three Senators shall be appointed to investigate the incident.

The Committee shall investigate the incident in question and review all material/documentation/etc. provided to determine if any action should be taken by the Galactic Senate. The Committee members are authorized to initiate their own investigation and requests for information. All Galactic Senators shall comply with any and all reasonable requests of the Committee. The Committee shall submit a recommendation to the full Galactic Senate, which shall be voted upon by the Galactic Senate if the Committee is recommending that action be taken. All votes of the Galactic Senate require two-thirds approval of all Galactic Senators, with an Abstain vote counting as a non-vote. The recommendation of the Committee needs to be the unanimous opinion of the Committee before being submitted to the full Senate. Should the Committee make a finding that no action need be taken, or that the Galactic Senator(s) involved are blameless then that report should be made to the Senate and no vote will be required.

-Selection of the three Committee members: The first Investigation Committee shall consist of the first three empires that joined the Galactic Senate. Thereafter, each Committee member shall appoint another Galactic Senator for the next Investigation Committee. This shall be done at the close of their report to the Galactic Senate, or upon the beginning of a new investigation, whichever comes first. No Galactic Senator shall serve on a second committee until all Galactic Senators have served or are serving on a committee. The same shall apply to each subsequent 'round' of appointments."

I specifically did not define 'incident', as I believe we should investigate any claims.

Alcorn the Honored One

Sabeli Ecok, #2996"

Issues I see with this proposal

1. The appointment of Senators to the Committee. While I think having the first three Empires as members of the first Committee is fine. I am not in favor of having them pick their replacements. This would allow too much nepotism to creep in. I would propose that the next three active empires to join be assigned to the next committee and so on.

2. I would like to see an additional clause stating that the Senator or Senators who are accused may not be members of this committee.

3. That should the recommendation of the committee be no action, the Senate must have a simple majority of votes during the following voting cycle to approve the report with abstentions not counted.

Once any incident between two or more empires, where at least one of the empires involved is a member of the Galactic Senate, is brought to the attention of the Galactic Senate an Investigation Committee (hereinafter 'Committee') of three Senators shall be appointed to investigate the incident.
It should state that only the parties involved can bring the matter to the attention of the Senate. Otherwise I am not sure how fruitful the investigation will be.

It should state that only the parties involved can bring the matter to the attention of the Senate

This was my intention, but it appears upon rereading it that it has been left out. Arrrgh, fire my scribe.

I would like to see an additional clause stating that the Senator or Senators who are accused may not be members of this committee.

Absolutely.

I am not in favor of having them pick their replacements. This would allow too much nepotism to creep in. I would propose that the next three active empires to join be assigned to the next committee and so on.

I still think this is fine as written, especially since all senators must serve before one can serve again. And also, as written, the next senator would be appointed prior to any incident, so I don't think there would be a problem here.

All excellent points by my fellow Senator from the Islands! :beer:

So with that done, if Senator Logion would withdraw his second, I would like to withdraw this proposal for a bylaw, and propose the following:

INCIDENT INVESTIGATION COMMITTEE PROPOSAL:

Once any incident between two or more empires, where at least one of the empires involved is a member of the Galactic Senate, is brought to the attention of the Galactic Senate by an empire involved in the incident, an Investigation Committee (hereinafter 'Committee') of three Senators shall be appointed to investigate the incident.

The Committee shall investigate the incident in question and review all material/documentation/etc. provided to determine if any action should be taken by the Galactic Senate. The Committee members are authorized to initiate their own investigation and requests for information. All Galactic Senators shall comply with any and all reasonable requests of the Committee. The Committee shall submit a recommendation to the full Galactic Senate, which shall be voted upon by the Galactic Senate if the Committee is recommending that action be taken. All votes of the Galactic Senate require two-thirds approval of all Galactic Senators, with an Abstain vote counting as a non-vote. The recommendation of the Committee needs to be the unanimous opinion of the Committee before being submitted to the full Senate. Should the Committee make a finding that no action need be taken, or that the Galactic Senator(s) involved are blameless then that report should be made to the Senate and no vote will be required.

-Selection of the three Committee members: The first Investigation Committee shall consist of the first three empires that joined the Galactic Senate. Thereafter, each Committee member shall appoint another Galactic Senator for the next Investigation Committee. This shall be done at the close of their report to the Galactic Senate, or upon the beginning of a new investigation, whichever comes first. No Galactic Senator shall serve on a second committee until all Galactic Senators have served or are serving on a committee. The same shall apply to each subsequent 'round' of appointments. No senator shall be allow to serve on a committee in which that Senator's empire is involved, should this occur, that Senator shall be removed and the remaining two Senators on the Committee shall appoint his replacement.

*I have redlined the changes from the original.

It should state that only the parties involved can bring the matter to the attention of the Senate

This was my intention, but it appears upon rereading it that it has been left out. Arrrgh, fire my scribe.

I would like to see an additional clause stating that the Senator or Senators who are accused may not be members of this committee.

Absolutely.

I am not in favor of having them pick their replacements. This would allow too much nepotism to creep in. I would propose that the next three active empires to join be assigned to the next committee and so on.

I still think this is fine as written, especially since all senators must serve before one can serve again. And also, as written, the next senator would be appointed prior to any incident, so I don't think there would be a problem here.

All excellent points by my fellow Senator from the Islands! :beer:

So with that done, if Senator Logion would withdraw his second, I would like to withdraw this proposal for a bylaw, and propose the following:

INCIDENT INVESTIGATION COMMITTEE PROPOSAL:

Once any incident between two or more empires, where at least one of the empires involved is a member of the Galactic Senate, is brought to the attention of the Galactic Senate by an empire involved in the incident, an Investigation Committee (hereinafter 'Committee') of three Senators shall be appointed to investigate the incident.

-Selection of the three Committee members: The first Investigation Committee shall consist of the first three empires that joined the Galactic Senate. Thereafter, each Committee member shall appoint another Galactic Senator for the next Investigation Committee. This shall be done at the close of their report to the Galactic Senate, or upon the beginning of a new investigation, whichever comes first. No Galactic Senator shall serve on a second committee until all Galactic Senators have served or are serving on a committee. The same shall apply to each subsequent 'round' of appointments. No senator shall be allow to serve on a committee in which that Senator's empire is involved, should this occur, that Senator shall be removed and the remaining two Senators on the Committee shall appoint his replacement.

*I have redlined the changes from the original.

What of other Empires, that are either Neighbors of the two empires or allies of the two empires. They would certainly be effected by piracy, or war, or ROE settings in their area of space.