Rolling Thunder Forums

Make all setups available!

By random setups you mean, not knowing what country you're going to play? Or do you mean what Chico said?

Russ could allow for 120 orders the very first turn and all turns after the first one the normal 60.

Randomize the setup of the country, not randomizing the country choice (at least not more than the current randomization!!).

And surely Russ would think 120 orders would make sense...

:lol:

• 7 months later...

Randomizing the country set up seems to have some merit and would eliminate the dissier to want to get set ups. It would make them obsolete at the start of each game from the last one, and the one before that and so on. Otherwise, I must vote no on making set ups available. Diplomacy and team work are a very real part of the game and making them available takes some of that away. Trying to track them down also gives a sense of accomplishment when you find what you are looking for. especialy for the newer players, gets them thinking "hey, I can do this" and might help keep them around to play more. It is still just the set up and you don't know how your opponits will adjust things by turn three, even if he is a vet at this game. He might decide to try some thing new at some point, especialy if it's a country he has played before. Is it not a game of some risk????? Just my humble opinion :)

I can understand the concerns of your opponent knowing your setup. Thinking your opponent knows ahead of time how to wage a war against your country. I believe the fear is real but the source is not the knowledge of your setup, but the experience one has had playing with the country or being totally allied or fought against. I have no concerns about my opponent having my setup in fact I assume he knows my country. But I disagree with the posting of all the setups.

As for random setups. Consider, this game in many ways seeks to re-enact a time period of history. (Yes there are some liberties taken concerning resourses but these are mostly to ensure playable positions). The locations of the main industrial areas of any country would not be a secret. If you started tampering with the population. I feel the game would lose some appeal. The historical part of this game is one of my favorite aspects. I don't want to compromise that.

Nation setup's are nice to have and I'll even trade for them. They can be used for diplomatic relations by establishing trust between two nations. I'll agree with Woodswalker, I wouldn't want a random setup. The AIC order gives me the ability to change what is known if it is really desired.

• 2 weeks later...

If you could decide where to put your industry.. or where to locate your pop.. then that would imbalance the game....

oh and if someone asks for a setup... I usually mail them....

even if you know the setup.. the outcome is something different..

but who knows what will be in Vic 2.. cannot wait to play it... but first the second upgrade in the year 2020 and yesss who knows in in the year 3000 vic 2 :)