Rolling Thunder Forums

Those Pesky G's

Hmmmm... By trial an error i have found that 20 Mk I's can crack a type D and I have a survey ship that has cracked an E with 8 Mk II's

I can tell you from personal experience that 6 Mk II Jump Survey Sensors with a 3rd level explorer is not enough for a Class E warp point. You must have just met the minimums with 8 Mk II... I thought a 3rd level explorer would be more effective than that?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm... By trial an error i have found that 20 Mk I's can crack a type D and I have a survey ship that has cracked an E with 8 Mk II's

I can tell you from personal experience that 6 Mk II Jump Survey Sensors with a 3rd level explorer is not enough for a Class E warp point. You must have just met the minimums with 8 Mk II... I thought a 3rd level explorer would be more effective than that?

8 mk II jump sensors will not crack an E, unless you had a character on the fleet.

I am guessing that you are not part of an alliance by that question. It is a hard choice to make when you don't already know someone else in the game -- play alone or join an alliance.

This is the case here. While I know the answer to your question I can't answer you.

Gee, nice way to be so anit-social. Is this what Phoenix Arisen is all about? He asks a simple question that others have answered before on this site (and as you can see, others are still willing to answer), and the PA gets all high and mighty about it. "We know the answer but can't tell you because of blah, blah, blah...". Why did you even respond except to try to show you think your superior to everyone. Every week the PA members sink to new lows on how they play this game and interact with others. Bah!

Why not just tell the answer, instead of complaining why others do not?

I have both an H and an I. I have cracked the H by the afformentioned installations but the I is in a nexus. One thing that has not been discussed is distance. The further a warp point leads the harder it is. I have had 5 MK Is and an explorer crack a D and fail at another.

Proud Member of the Undergroup

Leader of the Pirates Alliance

Bosom Buddy of the Gremloids.

Gee, nice way to be so anit-social.  Is this what Phoenix Arisen is all about?  He asks a simple question that others have answered before on this site (and as you can see, others are still willing to answer), and the PA gets all high and mighty about it.  "We know the answer but can't tell you because of blah, blah, blah...".  Why did you even respond except to try to show you think your superior to everyone.  Every week the PA members sink to new lows on how they play this game and interact with others.  Bah!

Leave it to a Senate Member to misinterpret personal pride in membership and prior experiences with an attempt to display superiority.

PhaseDragon tried to help by explaining to a new player the benefits of membership in an organization as a method of solving not only this, but other challenges he may encounter going forward.

A legitimate and helpful reply. Unlike the jabbing, cynical, unhelpful, misinterpretive reply added to this list by some. Perhaps this sort of behavior could be met with your own reply "Every week the Senate members sink to new lows on how they play this game and interact with others." Then again, we do not automatically assume your behavior is representate of the entire Senate membership.

Although it is most certainly a policy of our alliance to maintain as secret information we consider to be of strategic advantage, it is an even more important that we allow our members to speak freely of their own personal views and experiences and to help others within the limits of maintaining alliance confidentiality when required. We are proud to have PhaseDragon as a member and recognize his effort at assisting newcomers as building a better game for all.

Perhaps the Apshai emperor should propose a new by-law that requires Senate members to divulge all state secrets to anyone on the board that asks.

Mr. Phoenix Arisen Superior:

You must be Phasedragon's superior. you responded so quickly. Either that or WKE stands for "We Kill English!" WKE said "you think your superior to everyone!" Your is possesive, so obviously you are his superior. If that is not true, then WKE dropped out of fifth grade to play computer games. By fifth grade most children know "your" and "you're " are different words and mean different things. If he meant to say you are superior he has no more grip on his English than he does on reality.

Just take this guy as another jerk who is Eternlly Nuts. Phoenix Arisen has passed out plenty of information while this fellow just makes noises. He sounds like a PR guy gone over the edge. Think of him as a self proclaimed target for extermination.

I have done a "G" with 5 Mk IIs....BUT I did have a high level explorer and a high level scientist on the fleet :thumbsup:

To give you some idea, I think a G may have a difficulty rating of around 160...

If you have a level 6 explorer then you will 60% off (96 in this case)

If you also have a level 5 scientist (another 25% off) then you will not be far off!

Hope this helps  :D

You might recheck the rule book on this or ask Pete for comfirmation, but somewhere there is a comment that only the first character can help in this action. The second is only there for the ride.

OH MY GOD! Don't kill me Norm, I gave away a secret.

I have done a "G" with 5 Mk IIs....BUT I did have a high level explorer and a high level scientist on the fleet :thumbsup:

To give you some idea, I think a G may have a difficulty rating of around 160...

If you also have a level 5 scientist (another 25% off) then you will not be far off!

You might recheck the rule book on this or ask Pete for comfirmation, but somewhere there is a comment that only the first character can help in this action. The second is only there for the ride.

And that's now an example of mis-information from the 'power alliance'.... :lol:

Both explorer and scientist characters will help - the relevant quote from the essential document, which everyone should download from the RTG site is:

The Survey Difficulty of the Warp Point is reduced by the presence of legendary commanders. The best Explorer and Scientist on

your fleet are used and if you have both types available, they will work in concert. The lower level Explorers and Scientists and their

effects are detailed below........

And I'm also pretty sure that the 'strength' of a G is 170, but G's are often quite 'small/narrow' and this can affect things greatly. I have done a G with a single Mk II JSS and the appropriate number of installations...... :cheers:

Now the single G in a Nexus I have, is just a tad more annoying, but there's a plan....... :cheers:

If you check the rulebook, ask Pete or read the Warp point survey document you will find that I am right! :cheers:

http://rollingthunder.com/supernova/SNFTP.htm

"Survey difficulties can be reduced by attaching Explorers and Scientists to your exploration fleets. Explorers are better than scientists at this sort of work, but both are helpful. The highest ranking leader of each type on a fleet will reduce the survey difficulty by applying his/her/its skills to the mission. The effect is to reduce the difficulty by a percentage, making highly-ranked Explorers and Scientists extremely valuable."

(my emphasis)

An explorers bonus is applied to the WP difficulty and then the scientist's bonus is applied

s0...

Type E WP has a difficulty of 100

level 3 explorer affords a 30% reduction in difficlty which yields a new difficulty level of 70, ( 100 - 30%)

Now if you have a scientist level 2, 10% bonus, the WP difficulty level would be reduced by an additional 10% for a final WP difficulty level of 63.

This new WP level is now compared to the rating of the fleet JSS which are modified by any installations present. If the fleet rating is greater than the WP level then you are successful. If the rating is not greater than the level then you are not successful.

It should also be noted that there is a hidden variable, distance or length of warp point, that can increase or decrease the initial WP difficulty level by an unknown amount.

:D

Pete's comment was that only the strongest character of a single type counts. This means that if you have two explorers, the second one is along for the ride. But you can have both explorer and scientist and they both count.

As Sydney Greenstreet would say... "Why I tell you this is beyond me, since it cannot possibly profit me..."

:D

According to WP Survey Missions document is says....

Given typical distances between stars, the following chart gives a rough estimate of the difficulty ratings of the lowest Warp Point

Classes. Sometimes the distances between the stars in question are low, reducing the difficulty factors shown below by a small

amount. Occasionally they are much higher, adding to the difficulties. Extremely large distances are rare.

I have explored an E WP with 15 Mk II's and succeeded while with the same amount (and more0 failed at another E WP. Explorers & Scientists make a BIG difference as do Science installation. Its all a matter of luck at times.

Type E WP has a difficulty of 100

level 3 explorer affords a 30% reduction in difficlty which yields a new difficulty level of 70, ( 100 - 30%)

Now if you have a scientist level 2, 10% bonus, the WP difficulty level would be reduced by an additional 10% for a final WP difficulty level of 63.

It has not been confirmed how the two characters interact to reduce the difficulty. We do not know if they are cumulative or additive.

Cumulative is how HobNob described. It is as likely that the reductions are combined first. So using his example (30% + 10%) = 40% reducing 100 to 60 points required.

I can confirm that they both make a difference, how they work together to do it has yet to be confirmed. Although when extended to the highest levels (i.e. Legendary Explorer + Chief Scientist) assuming 70% + 35% if the pattern holds would result in 105% reduction. Should the reduction percentages be additive, it could be that the reductions for the highest levels add to 99%.

Speaking of this combo, these 2 dudes could bust an E with a pathfinder using either formula.