Rolling Thunder Forums

ss grenadiers

dorias wolf

id love see in the german tech for example ss grenadiers,waffen ss divs,spice up the types make it more fun knowing ya waffen ss div made a gallant final stand at berlin ,adds too the fantasy of realism of the game.ss grenadier div could have the stats of a mech say for example just little bit stronger and more cost.maybe give their morale a boost too, knowing that a ss div would never run from battle.anyway im in game 73 and hopefully ill kick all ya arses hehe cause you all smell.

cheers :rolleyes:

wolfman

Hey Wolfman,

Why add only those kind of troops to German tech?

The russians had Guard troops. Also in the russian armed forces were penal troops (even more cheaper troops for cannon fodder...)

Norbert

hey norbet yeh you could have that also,imagine being the english you could have the irish grenadiers or fusiliers divs,scottish guards etc.or maybe if russian siberian divs etc,with bit imagination you could have some of the historical types added to game too spice up ones imagaination.

cheers wolfman :rolleyes:

The Russian "Penal Batallions" would be an interesting "spice" to Victory II. These units were made up of prisoners condemned to death for murder, treason (quite common), etc.

Instead of being executed, they were sent to the front line and, just before a Russian infantry attack, were lined up in front (without weapons or helmets) and sent ahead, encouraged by Commissars with sub-machine guns. These men would gain ground before the real Russian soldiers took casualties, and would cause the Germans (and their other allies on the Russian front) to use up ammunition, but would obviously die first.

In Victory II, such batallions could be created in much the same way as Airborne Brigades are created in Victory (ie, small units that still use up National Training Limits), but very cheaply and with no attack strength and a dismal defense strength. The calculated casualties would be taken off these batallions first (especially the "spearhead" losses).

Waddya think?

Len

The Russian "Penal Batallions" would be an interesting "spice" to Victory II. These units were made up of prisoners condemned to death for murder, treason (quite common), etc.

Instead of being executed, they were sent to the front line and, just before a Russian infantry attack, were lined up in front (without weapons or helmets) and sent ahead, encouraged by Commissars with sub-machine guns. These men would gain ground before the real Russian soldiers took casualties, and would cause the Germans (and their other allies on the Russian front) to use up ammunition, but would obviously die first.

In Victory II, such batallions could be created in much the same way as Airborne Brigades are created in Victory (ie, small units that still use up National Training Limits), but very cheaply and with no attack strength and a dismal defense strength. The calculated casualties would be taken off these batallions first (especially the "spearhead" losses).

Waddya think?

Len

YEH CERTAINLY IS GOOD IDEA MATE I LIKE IT I JUST HAVE THIS IMAGE OF WAFFEN SS PANZER DIV CORPS FIGHTING REAR GUARD ACTIONS IN SAY MOTHER RUSSIA FOR 1,MAYBE I READ TOO MANY WAR BOOKS ETC .id also like few more gens too pick from like sepp dietrich felix steiner,etc.

cheers wolfman :D

Even simply changing the names of some existing units such as german mech divs to panzer grenadiers, german frontier units to volkstrum (spelling?) would do two things.

First, it would help with intel. A player should get an idea of what tech an enemy is using with the first few battle reports. It is easy to tell with air and naval combat reports, but when you get a report which simply says mech39, or motor39 it makes things difficult. It seems resonable that your ground troops would figure out what the enemy has after a division or army level engagement. Of course this goes for all the techs and not just German.

Second, as mentioned in earlier posts it would make some of the battle reports more fun to read.

If new types of units are added I would like to recommend three of regiment/ brigade size such as the AIR40.

1) a regiment/ brigade coastal defence unit similar to AAA divisions, but with some CHAB/CLAB ability. The US army had such units and I believe the Marines did as well.

2) a regiment/ brigade marine unit to make amphib operations more affordable. might make some of those small islands worth grabbing if you don't have to invest in building a large LCI/LSM fleet.

3) a regiment/ brigade armor unit.

Takeda

Takeda,

I also think smaller and cheaper units should be available for such simple operations as conquering weakly defended targets. I wouldn't suggest introducing new units though, how about cutting existing divisions into smaller portions. Of course you have to change the number of units you can build at each NTS level, the maximum number of divisions per army etc. But you would have small armor divisions available to conquer those endless stretches of nothing in countries as the Russias, Persia and Saudi Arabia, small marine divisions for conquering small and undefended islands, and of course still the small airborne divisions we have today.

But I assume all of this will have to wait till V!2 :thumbsup:

Hamish

Instead of being executed, they were sent to the front line and, just before a Russian infantry attack, were lined up in front (without weapons or helmets) and sent ahead, encouraged by Commissars with sub-machine guns.

It werent just condemned men that were sent to the front like that, regular soldiers often didnt have a gun as well, even until the end of the war. They were just to pick up any weapon a dead man dropped.

Some russian divisions only had 1 rifle and 100 bullets per 5 soldiers. :thumbsup:

But you would have small armor divisions available to conquer those endless stretches of nothing in countries as the Russias, Persia and Saudi Arabia, small marine divisions for conquering small and undefended islands, and of course still the small airborne divisions we have today.

well there is ofcourse the thing that during the real world war, there were villages in "conquered" russia that never saw a single german soldier.

Why?

For the simple reason that there was nothing worth there and they were just considered conquered territory because they were now behind the frontline.

You could make a rule that any province with population 0 that is completely cut off from the first populated unconquered homeprovince changes hands automaticly.

Or even that only conquering the province is enough to take control of the city if the population is 0 and there are no ldb's.

In my opinion this would make a much more realistic representation of reality.

:thumbsup:

You could make a rule that any province with population 0 that is completely cut off from the first populated unconquered homeprovince changes hands automaticly.

Or even that only conquering the province is enough to take control of the city if the population is 0 and there are no ldb's.

In my opinion this would make a much more realistic representation of reality.

Perfect solution for conquering Russia! It also creates need for some nice strategic pincer moves.

But I think there should be a maximum of provinces you can 'conquer' this way. Otherwise you could take all the border provinces of a country and that way isolate all big cities. That would be a cheat.

Great idea though! :thumbsup:

well as long as its even connected to a city of 1 population it wouldnt fall automaticly.. the 0 population province would have to be completely cut off.

then again you do bring up a valid point..

the second option might then be better, just having to capture the province to capture the 0 population city as well.

then you can leave it up to discussion if a single ldb will prevent this or there has to be at least an army in the city.

ooo i'm on a roll. :thumbsup:

Another option might be to introduce a neutral uncontroled status for provinces that fall in this way.

neither side can issue orders for these provinces until the original owner re-establishes contact with the provinces (this will make them revert back to unconquered/free provinces) or the invader conquers them in the normal way (and thus make them conquered territory).

The only thing available during the time of uncontrolled status is the railcapacity that was already there before it became uncontrolled.

Ooooo, clever Ronald, might I suggest those (for the sake of realism and the right amount of spice) that as well as the territories becoming neutral, they actually grow a partisan movement at a comparitively fast rate. I just find that territories that are un-governed, rarely wish to be governed once more. This fast growing partisan movement would be a good reason for an invading country to try and claim territories instead of only grabbing any second one, as claiming it later would be harder. The most extreme real life example I can think of this is Vietnam. The French took their sweet time to reclaim Vietnam after its capture, and eventual release by the Japanese, and when the French arrived the Vietnamese locals were less than happy to be a French colony again.

Just an idea - don't bite my head off....

I think considering anything cut off from any population as occupied territory is probably the closest thing to reality, but I also foresee a lot of problems with using that as a rule in Victory! What happens if 2 TAs attack and cut off a couple of provinces together? For eaxmple Northern Russia and Southern Russia meet somewhere in Central Russia, and some provinces to the east of their new border have no connection to Central Russian population anymore. Does this count? And if it does, who gets control of those provinces, Northern or Southern Russia?

I think the better option would be to automatically conquer undefended and unpopulated cities if the province falls. Coming back to the original subject (new division types) I would still like to have an armor regiment available for that.

Hamish