Rolling Thunder Forums

ss grenadiers

dorias wolf

well that problem would be solved if you use an uncontrolled status, that way no-one controls cut-off provinces, at least not until they are conquered properly. :drunk:

hmmmm maybe this is an idea... what if you no longer build armies per division but per regiment? which the player would then have to group into a division. With each regeiment adding a specific amount of offensive and defensive power, and anti-air. Like this you will gain a vast multitude of possibilities, allowing people to create heavy or light divisions as they wish.

(a light division being one that has fewer than normal (3) regiments (like the air 40 now has) a heavy being a division that has a greater than normal amount of regiments (like the german SS panzer divisions))

A division would still move only as fast as its slowest regiment.

for example a player would build:

4 infantry regiments

5 mechanised regiments

4 armoured regiments

he would then group these into:

1 regular infantry divisions (with 3 infantry regiments)

1 light infantry division (with 1 infantry regiments)

2 heavy armoured divisions (with 2 mech regiment and 2 armour regiments)

1 light mechanised infantry division (1 mech regiment)

*grin* i hope someone is writing this down. :thumbsup:

happy gaming,

Ronald

Hmmm...

An interesting idea to build only regimental units and combining them afterwards. That should not be too difficult to group into divisions and armies.

Tis will create new possibilities for building and conquering vast territories like the wasteland in Russia...

The naming of a division will be new matter. You have to look into the different regiments to make a name for the division...

Norbert

hmmmm maybe this is an idea... what if you no longer build armies per division but per regiment? which the player would then have to group into a division. With each regeiment adding a specific amount of offensive and defensive power, and anti-air. Like this you will gain a vast multitude of possibilities, allowing people to create heavy or light divisions as they wish.

(a light division being one that has fewer than normal (3) regiments (like the air 40 now has) a heavy being a division that has a greater than normal amount of regiments (like the german SS panzer divisions))

A division would still move only as fast as its slowest regiment.

for example a player would build:

4 infantry regiments

5 mechanised regiments

4 armoured regiments

he would then group these into:

1 regular infantry divisions (with 3 infantry regiments)

1 light infantry division (with 1 infantry regiments)

2 heavy armoured divisions (with 2 mech regiment and 2 armour regiments)

1 light mechanised infantry division (1 mech regiment)

This could (and would) lead to a large amount of micromanagement I'm afraid. And what about the biggest problem? Unbalanced divisions?

An armour only division would be pretty worthless in a defensive actions. What if some tigerlovin' newbie would build an 18 division armour only army?

Party time!

I would love some AAA regiments though. :thumbsup:

well yes thats true, management becomes a bit more complex.

but i dont think unbalanced divisions would be such a big problem, i'm sure players will realise quickly enough that building such divisions have severe disadvantages.

And is it that much different right now? Any new player to victory is bound to make mistakes, and then learn from them the hard way.

Then again.. in some cases you might actually want a unit that is purely offensive.

Take for example the battle of the bulge. The german armors didnt wait for their infantry and just kept advancing as quickly as they could. With the infantry moving in after them. In a way they used divisions made up purely of armor regiments there. And if they had not run out of fuel they actually might have succeeded.

Not sure if you should reduce the static divisions to regiment as well.. i mean they are already pretty cheap.

That was my whole point. Build regiments instead of divisions. And why group them into divisions afterwards? Why not adjust the building and stacking limits, and maybe extend the functionality of some orders (like UGU) to handle more regiments. Unless you want to really split up functionality, like not building a motorized infantry division, but 2 motor and 2 infantry regiments or something.

*grin* i hope someone is writing this down.

We are writing it down ourselves, silly!

Hamish

Well the reason for grouping them again into divisions is mainly to keep true to history.

During the second world war the operational unit was the Division where as in the wars of the 18th and 19th century it was still the Regiment.

The reason why this switch was made is actually quite simple, armies grew to such huge sizes that they simply couldnt be managed anymore if they would stick with the Regiment as operational unit. An extra layer of command was needed.

The only exceptions to this were special units, were it was no problem because there werent so many of them anyway. :drunk:

i'm sure players will realise quickly enough that building such divisions have severe disadvantages.

Let me do the educating... :drunk:

I just love a nice bloody battle. Bloody for my opponent that is.

By the way, superior fortifications and some CHAB/CLAB are pretty effective. Bye bye swedish fleet. :lol: