Rolling Thunder Forums

Racial Abilities and Research

Near as we can tell, Longevity gives about a 50% research bonus over just Senses and Intelligence.

Oh, and being a Natural Linguist doesn't help speed the research of Type A Universal Translator at all.

In case you wondered.

Do taking extras like linguistic ability, hideous appearence, actually do anything in game?

Just curious.

I think most of your set up choices affect your racial modifiers to varying degrees. I would imagine that "linguistic ability" may improve your Diplomacy modifer whilst "hideous appearance" may have a negative effect on diplomacy but give a bonus to the Close Combat Modifier. The set up material in the manual gives some indication as to the effects of each of your choices.

Pete once stated that you have to look at the various modifiers to your race you can take and see their cost and the number of areas they affect as how much they actually affect. Ie If you want to raise your CB then take something expensive, that preferably only gives CB as that means all points will go to that instead of some ability that spreads it over several categories.

From Pete I've also understood that buying for example Cold Tolerance doesn't mean you are actually buying a specific piece of tolerance to cold but raising your general survivability by increasing the baseline CB. The text is just that text. Otherwise people could do multiple setups and try for a real cold world and settle asteroids without problems.

Cheers

/Locklyn

From Pete I've also understood that buying for example Cold Tolerance doesn't mean you are actually buying a specific piece of tolerance to cold but raising your general survivability by increasing the baseline CB. The text is just that text. Otherwise people could do multiple setups and try for a real cold world and settle asteroids without problems.

Cheers

/Locklyn

Um... not to put too fine a point on it, but we have taken Cold Tolerance, come from what we consider a comfortably cool planet and do colonize asteroid fields with only minimal difficulty... although there is that whole breathing thing for us to deal with...

TTFN!!

Hey don't kill the messenger :oops: I'm posting these tidbits to help new and old players alike!

You might've gotten lucky, your CB is so darn high enough that you laugh at the cold of space since your homeworld is named Popsicle and all you need on an asteroid to feel just like home is a Domed City :oops: or perhaps I misunderstood Pete who makes a sphinx sound straight to the point sometimes when it comes to technical game queries :thumbsup: But here is what he said:

Lars,

Correct - global CB bonus.  Like building a City, but generally more effective (the City bonus is a general add, but small).  If you're looking for pure colonization bonus on a species engineering change, alter something that affects only CB and nothing else (if you can).  That way every point is going toward CB for maximum effect.  Doesn't matter what the lifeform feature is for that purpose, as long as it affects CB of course.

Pete

----- Original Message -----

To: pete

Sent: Friday, August 06, 2004 1:20 AM

Subject: Species Engineering

Hi Pete,

I've been wondering. Are all the various features like low temp tolerance, radiaton tolerance etc basically the same, ie they all just affect your baseline CB or if you specifically want your race to tolerate lower temps, does that racial feature help solely with that?

Cheers

/Lars

Cheers

Hey don't kill the messenger  I'm posting these tidbits to help new and old players alike!

You might've gotten lucky, your CB is so darn high enough that you laugh at the cold of space since your homeworld is named Popsicle and all you need on an asteroid to feel just like home is a Domed City  or perhaps I misunderstood Pete who makes a sphinx sound straight to the point sometimes when it comes to technical game queries

No fair Locklyn, you have been looking at my turn. :oops:

I know this is off topic but I was wondering if my CSV comes back with moderate for an asteroid belt with a vacuum if I can actually get moderate attrition without domed cities? I have been assuming yes but it would be nice to know.

I know this is off topic but I was wondering if my CSV comes back with moderate for an asteroid belt with a vacuum if I can actually get moderate attrition without domed cities? I have been assuming yes but it would be nice to know.

It's only slightly off topic compared to some!! :oops:

If you do PMAP, ***, 0 then you'll get the general CSV of the planet. However, if you've built Domed Cities in a pop gp, then PMAP, ***, #*** will give you the CSV with the effect of the DC's at that Pop Gp......

[Well, it's supposed to - can't positively verify myself]

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

----Week to go....... :oops:

I think the Ur-Lord means CSV and not PMAP actually...guess it's friday down at the pub :oops:

If the general CSV for the asteroid belt comes back moderate for your race I bet your CB is HIGH! And you'll probably get low or none attrition with domed cities. The main attrition ghosts are atmosphere and temperature, gravity comes in third if I remember correctly.

Cheers

/Locklyn

If the general CSV for the asteroid belt comes back moderate for your race I bet your CB is HIGH! And you'll probably get low or none attrition with domed cities. The main attrition ghosts are atmosphere and temperature, gravity comes in third if I remember correctly.

Yes my CB is high. :oops:

I am just trying to figure out if I can start colonizing while I am researching domed cities or if I have to wait until I complete all of the prerequisite technologies. (I am using SRPs) :thumbsup:

If you do PMAP, ***, 0 then you'll get the general CSV of the planet. However, if you've built Domed Cities in a pop gp, then PMAP, ***, #*** will give you the CSV with the effect of the DC's at that Pop Gp......

If I understand correctly I can build DCs anywhere and can reference the pop group they are built in, in the CSV order and get an assessment of my attrition at another world. (I assume by the # sign I have to place this in front of the pop grp number.)

Again Mahalo for the information. :oops:

You can always start building if you're prepared to lose a few colonists as a buffer, ie build essential buildings, have a buffer of colonists that are taken first when attrition hits and calculate from that what you need.

You need 2nd Gen Civil Engineering and Improved Construction materials for Domed Cities but remember that all the other installations you can build from the beginning also helps, colonial training center, city, ocean and so on...

It's often wise to enable a colony with a 100 people flat initially, build one of each of those attrion reducing installations you can and then do a CSV #pop group to see what attrition you are landing at. Remember that you have to have a ship around that world to CSV the pop group. Installations affect only the pop group they are built in.

You can build Domed Cities on any world where you have a popgroup, it helps real good against atmospherical troubles :oops:

Any questions or trouble and you are welcome to mail me directly also!

Cheers

/Locklyn

You might've gotten lucky, your CB is so darn high enough that you laugh at the cold of space since your homeworld is named Popsicle and all you need on an asteroid to feel just like home is a Domed City :oops: or perhaps I misunderstood Pete who makes a sphinx sound straight to the point sometimes when it comes to technical game queries :oops: But here is what he said:

Lars,

Correct - global CB bonus.  Like building a City, but generally more effective (the City bonus is a general add, but small).  If you're looking for pure colonization bonus on a species engineering change, alter something that affects only CB and nothing else (if you can).  That way every point is going toward CB for maximum effect.  Doesn't matter what the lifeform feature is for that purpose, as long as it affects CB of course.

Pete

----- Original Message -----

To: pete

Sent: Friday, August 06, 2004 1:20 AM

Subject: Species Engineering

Hi Pete,

I've been wondering. Are all the various features like low temp tolerance, radiaton tolerance etc basically the same, ie they all just affect your baseline CB or if you specifically want your race to tolerate lower temps, does that racial feature help solely with that?

Cheers

/Lars

Cheers

No, Pete was being straight with you... or at least he gave you the same answer he told me...

As for us, it just that we consider hydrogen slush to be the "water" of our ocean... skinny dipping, anyone?

(For the record, asteroids do cause us attrition... (very *LOW* attrition, but attrition, nonetheless...))