Rolling Thunder Forums

AstroSynthesis

SargonKingOfSlith

I'm not sure how many people have Astrosynthesis, and didn't want to flood your mailboxes with another file if you didn't need it. I can create a sample output for anybody who has Astro, to let you see how it works on the warp point import side.

That would be great if you could write up a program that came up with estimated XYZ's. Get it to store those by system name....open up the CSV I send you and edit the 0,0,0 part to your estimates...mmmm.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

I hate to put a bit of a dampener on this, but without the true x,y,z's, which would make best use of such a program (but I've accepted the reasons why not), what value is this program really?

My point is simple - I'm concerned about the vast amount of time being spent on this sideshow when there's so much more to be done...... :cheers:

Mx

Ur Lord Tedric,

Making use of slang english,

Lighten up dude.

Think of Astrosynthesis as a tool that non-math guru types can use. I understand that as a mathmatically inclined person (just a guess), you might feel the need for specific facts that can be measured, quantified, and expressed in some accurate form.

With this in mind, here is my rational explanation;

010011110001 10010 1000101 1010001001 1010101 0000 1 1 1 1 0011 11111 00 00 00 00 1100 1011 100110.

I hope this clarifies the issue.

Lord Uriel

Oh, I've already got the CSV export program written. If EternusIV can create a program that will create estimated XYZ's and paste them into the CSV file by star name, more power to him--that would be great! You could use a CSV export right now in Astrosynthesis - you'd just need to load it (Excel works well, lining up the data column) and enter your own estimated XYZ's from your current map.

If you have Astrosynthesis just send me a note and I'd be happy to export a sample CSV for you to fool with.

Ur-Lord-

I hear you, man. I'd love to have actual X,Y,Z's too. A part of me is still on the futile quest to figure the mapping logarithm out :) Another part of me wants to make mapping as easy for everyone as possible. Imageine - download, cut and paste, (calculate coords), cut and paste = voila! Nice 3d map that has some geometry to it.

I've constructed a spreadsheet that imports the CSV list of systems and figures out how far out each system is from the homeworld for you....now trying to assign coordinates in an even more detailed fashion to avoid spaghetti.

Pete - Oh I see what you mean by 'export program.' :cheers: I meant something else. Once I'm done dragging around my stars, I want Astrosynth to record the XYZs into a CSV format to send back to you. I think this would be an easy patch to write on their end.

BTW - can you send me the CSV file for 1728 when you have a chance so I can test?

I also don't see the value in fake coordinates but I'm not using the astrosynthesis software either.

How about an option to receive a version of the turn results PDF in a more machine readable friendly format? The PDF is great for us humans but is a pain to machine parse. If there was a version of the data in the turn results in CSV format or such, there would be lots of people writing lots of nifty tools. I would rather see that than support for a 3rd party commercial application.

Hey, just out of curiousity, how many players have something to do with software design or some other form of crazy math knowledge?

I believe the one issue that some of the big brains (ie, those who at the very least partially understand what you're talking about when the phrase "just write some code") fail to realize is that not everyone who plays this game has the knowledge, or interest, to use player generated applications.

Me, I'm the primitive type. I've been using a calculator and some scrap paper to figure out my production since the begining. My map? Scrap paper as well.

Astrosynthesis? Neat tool that I could use to help me visualize things. Does it have to be accurate? Nope. Why not? Because it doesn't matter.

Accurate coordinates from the actual map on Pete's pc? I don't need to know. For those of you feel it necessary to have them? Two words.

Game balance.

If it got the point that I honestly felt that I needed a background in mathmathics just to play the game, it would no longer be fun.

Lord Uriel-

As you can tell, I'm a total geek when it comes to math and such :cheers:

I'm sure Ed might elaborate, but, the main driving force behind building spreadsheets and using programs like Astrosynth is to make things easier for the non-spreadsheet types.

Guys like Ed and I could happily sit in a corner with our own spreadsheets, and mapping programs, plugging away at making the game more efficient to run for ourselves....but, we choose to come here and offer our services as a courtesy.

I've had friends and relatives who refuse to play the game because of how 'number intensive' it is. The mapping situation is another problem that will alienate a certain player base. Heck, if you are devoted to surveying warp points, the mapping can get out of control down the line unless we streamline it....I used scraps for my maps until I got astrosynth....my mapping went from a wall design, to a nicely laid out grid, to a friggin pile of spaghetti with nothing but system names and lines to connect them because I ran out of time reworking my maps each turn :ranting: ...when you run more than 1 empire.... :taz: it gets insane :)

Bottom Line: I think we'll lose players if we don't have user-friendly programs in place to assist them with their turns and mapping.

If it got the point that I honestly felt that I needed a background in mathmathics just to play the game, it would no longer be fun.

Exactly. Thats why Ed worked his ass off to take care of it for us :cheers: ....the game involves a lot of information management and basic math...I just don't see how the game is played without using math every turn. I'd rather my Spreadsheet do the work than my TI-89 :lol: /shrug

I've had my own versions of spreadsheets since I started which makes doing my turns really really easy. With Ed's? Infinitely easier, now that I know how to use it (a guide is in the works and I can help walk through the basics if anyone wants)

With all of that said - I know how frustrating it can be for non-spreadsheet types to enter the world of "Cell Hell" :alien:

Don't feel compelled to use any of it though. The intent is only to make things easier for others who dont'w want to spend their time using math.

I agree with you about not needing to know the coords because of game balance...but it sure would make the game easier from an information management perspective. One can at least dream.... :alien:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I downloaded AstroSynth, but when I installed the update that was linked in this thread, it no longer works. Something about an invalid or missing license.  Also, I would like to be able to import my star data to see what it looks like.  Any chance of that?

Hello...

Sounds like you have downloaded the trial version. The upgrade doesn't function on the trial version. On the NBOS site: This program will not be functional if you are not a registered owner of AstroSynthesis v1.0 or later - it requires licensing information that is shipped on the CD (or as part of the download if purchased online).

I have bought the full version and it works fine... now i have to find out how to import the stardata into the program. I have no idea how to get the XYZ coordinates.. (maybe that's because holland is very very flat. no 3D insights and such... :holiday: )