Rolling Thunder Forums

The Galactic Coordinates Poll

EternusIV

Should we have Galactic Coordinates Revealed?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Snagged a couple by shouting "Supernova" at random intervals

The look on Doug's face was priceless :lol:

I just hope he didn't hurt his neck when he snapped his head around to see what idiot was yelling "Supernova!" in a crowded bar. Nothing that beer couldn't fix, though :lol:

Currently our dolphin friend doesn't see the need to map at all.  Given the dolphin's spatial awareness, personal sonar and lack of writing and records, perhaps he doesn't need it.

Don't underestimate the value of sonar. We used it extensively in the Alcatraz bar in Indianapolis. Snagged a couple by shouting "Supernova" at random intervals :lol:

Yes it was by far the most effective why of finding people. I wonder if Pete will allow us to do this in the game now. :lol:

Gentle now......

Be fair to a reasonable question....

Currently our dolphin friend doesn't see the need to map at all. Given the dolphin's spatial awareness, personal sonar and lack of writing and records, perhaps he doesn't need it.

So, he doesn't see the need to re-map at all. All he needs is knowledge of the links.

I for one will be very interested to see how he's running his empire in another year if he still doesn't have a 'map'....... 

Thanks Ur-Lord but I did not say I did not see the need to map but rather I dont see the need for coordinates and distances. However Crossroads has a good point that it would ease the task of drawing the map if he had coordinates. I can understand why it would be helpful with lots of systems located to have some means so you would not have to redraw everytime you explored a little further.

• 2 weeks later...
In the Gencon thread I asked about why people think they need to map and what benefit it would bring. The answer I got was it helps to visualize their empire. I can understand that but in all of this discussion I could not help but think that everyone is consumed with where systems are relative to their HW and it really does not matter. The only two things that are important is teh connection between the systems and the cost to Warp between them. Coordinates, even relative ones only help in visualization but they are not necessary in order to play this game. (Well thats my theory anyway.)

Oh and I voted No on the poll.

(Oh and this is not an argument not to map, just that I dont think coordinates or distances are needed.)

I think you do not understand the problem. When you have 250 systems and with it 750 warppoints (and thats only after two years), it is hard when you have to move parts of them from one place to another. Even more if you do it on paper. It is like a knot of wool which have to be unraveled after the cat has played with it. Redrawing costs a lot of time. If the moment comes that i spent many hours on redrawing maps i can tell you now: i will stop playing.

250 systems!!! :D

I am definitely not exploring the universe fast enough.

Hmm... How can I explore 200 more systems in the next six months...