Rolling Thunder Forums

New Player to be...

Arpat

I still play Master of Orion II about twice a week

Ah, yes, MOO II is still played here reguarly...and like with Highlander the movie...THERE IS NO SEQUEL :cheers:

Cheers

/Locklyn

and like with Highlander the movie...THERE IS NO SEQUEL

I agree, and like it says in the movie, 'There can be only one!' They should have listened to their own movie and NOT made a sequel to Highlander (one of the best movies ever! :)

:)

One of the best empire building games i ever played was Ascendancy. (It seems difficult to get a hold of this game. Fortunately i have it on cd)

When i was refering to Orion i did not talk about Orion II or III but to Supernova II - Orion Region. :-)

I also liked sid meijer's alpha centauri games and also fun to play was Imperium Galactica II (from digital anvil)

I also had some fun with fragile allegiance ("deep space intense strategy") and an old dos version (you know, dos, that command-line thingie) of "star control 3"

i sometimes play them when i'm searching for alternatives in todays war-only games. (most games seem to be build on shooting and such... no gaming or whatsoever, just 3D shoot-to-kill, bleeehhh)

:lol:

Since I am working a very far way from home, I purchased a used laptop so I could complete my Supernova turns and play a few games. One of the games i brought with me was Alpha Centari, imagine my surprise, when X-Com UFO defense worked beautifully on this machine!

:)

I remember Ascendancy. It is closer to SuperNova than Master Of Orion II as far as space travel goes. Since reading this thread I pulled it out and found that the sound does not work in Windows XP or Windows 98....bummer.

And while I was at it I tried to pull out another dusty title...Master Of Magic. This game would not even start in Windows XP or 98. Too bad; I remember countless hours wasted on this game. I even went so far as to hack the save game with a hex editor (using trial and error until I could figure out where each value was stored in the save file). This was first attempt at cheating on a computer game.

And while I was at it I tried to pull out another dusty title...Master Of Magic. This game would not even start in Windows XP or 98.

MoM can be made to run under W98, but probably without sound. You might also like to try Age of Wonders II which is similar to MoM but modern.

I quite enjoy Age of Wonders as an successor to Master of Magic. I reccomend a site called the underdogs for all of you remembering the "Good ole days"

http://www.the-underdogs.org/

:D

/Locklyn

Arpat-

Welcome aboard! :angry:

Your gaming interests parallel mine entirely. I tried to like MOO III....I really really tried...Alpha Centauri was a great game (I still play it sometimes) and I get into most of the real-time strategy games (and some MMOs: City of Heroes and FPS MMO Planetside currently)

Hey - not sure what you decided to stick with (you'll get your set up this turn, right?) :drunk:

I rolled a tiny, resilient, mega-colonizer race -- the good: I used plenty of SRPs on raising their constitution and maxing out their reproductive abilities - they won't suck on the ground at all (insane CC bonuses)....the bad: I had like 62 SRPs left. :angry:

BUT - I stuck with them despite their slower researching abilities (especially after discoveirng how many others in the 'core' burned their SRPs on racial abilities)

After 50+ turns with these little breeders, I have the following three major pieces of advice.

1) Have enogh SRPs left over to develop industrial technology...and most importantly...Mk II Fusion Engines You need engines to move your little Arpatians around efficiently. I regret not developing high end engines sooner. :nuke:

2) Don't be afraid to spend a dozen + turns on building nothing but CMs/Improved CMs...you need to have the resources around to build the industries to emply all your people

3) Get yourself a solid tech tree and spreadsheet for production. You are competing with re-rollers...no reason to panic unless you are blind on tech. If you can't find the basic tools to get started, ask me and I'll give you my garbled one or refer you to the ones that do. Best bet? Send a friendly email to Phasedragon/Ed Mooney for his spreadsheets. They might fit you nicely. Many other players have amazing spreadsheets, too. Shop around.

Good luck, man. I'm sure you'll do well with that gaming background. SNROTE is a rich game: I recommend it to everyone who enjoys a good strategy game with a lot of depth and Star-Trekkie nuances.

I understand that having a bunch of SRP helps out greatly to get things started.

I have started this race with no SRP's at all. I have decided that i fist just fiddel around to understand the game before starting several setups and keep with one good one. I will do so in a time, but i first want to learn what is good and what is not. (and then it does nopt matter if you have a lot of SRP or none at all.)

The second reason to stick woth only one setup is that it takes lot's of time to understand the game basics.... I also play a free game (www.turn2turn.com) which is very much like avalon. (take a look if you want they are still searching for players)

I also made the startings of a website: www.sn2.nl just for the fun of it. I am also the owner of www.supernova2.com

But i'm sure that playing this game will bring me lots of fun adn i can't wait until the first update is in!

So... thanks for all tips and information!

Edited by Arpat