Rolling Thunder Forums

Research Pace

Octus Imperium

I was wondering if others would like to chime in on a topic that may be of interest to players that weren't in on the fun two years ago as SN:ROTE was launched. After 25 cycles (guess I just missed the first Santa delivery onnniversary #1), I have a couple observations to make. Please consider this in reference to my startup, with investments in two of the three psych attritbutes, modest colonization enhancements, slightly weaker physical attributes and mid-point intelligence levels.

I have read that the 'usual' first techs take roughly 4 or 12 turns, depending on the tech. I have completed such things as Fighters in 10 turns (no scientist boosts) and Mk I Long Range Sensors in 23. Is this slightly faster than an unenhanced race? Slightly slower? Just about the same? (assuming human set up as average)

Trying to assess how much an advancement in one of our psych abilities may add to research ability/speed. Your collective thoughts may help the newbies and the (?) mid-bies like myself.

Octus Imperium, the curious

Well, consider this. I just received my 51st turn results and I have researched a total of 73 techs. And I expect to get 2-4 techs next turn. I only had 24 SRPs from my setup and the 12 from Santa's first visit. Looking forward to the 24 on this turn. So many techs, so little SRPs........

Sakarissa ;)

Octus Imperium

You appear to have similar tech gains to myself. I started on turn one of the game. I have 95 new techs. That's less than two a turn. I never had SRP's.

I do not feel too far behind. I expect to beat two a turn soon. Good luck in researching.

Lostworlds

You naughty teases....... B)

Trying to get poor old Octus to waste RCs or just make him feel bad.... :alien:

Dear Octus,

It looks like you have a 20% Research Bonus and are getting your techs when you should based upon 1 x RC per tech.

You could indeed put multiple RCs on each tech, but it's not linearly additive. It's one of the Powers That Be's reducing curve formulas.

And as far as we know, there's no effect of the psychic powers on RB..... :unsure:

Chief Scientist to Ur-Lord Tedric

Don't be too confident in using one RC on 1st and 2nd Gen techs though. Their cost is NOT uniform and many of the horizon technologies that you find later are WAY more expensive

B)

/Locklyn

Well, all sorts of replies. Thanks and I think the forum lurkers are probably also pleased.

We do only 1 RC per tech at present. Have not added up the number of tech advances. And we are not yet out of SRP's. So I guess we are doing okay and perhaps a touch better than average.

Thanks for your insisghts. We will sleep better now. And so will the scientists.

Now what do we do with those Mk II cattle prods? B)

Octus

The almost all items of the same generation take the same number of RC's to research, unless they popped up by doing a higher level item. Like say 4th gen knucklebusters, opens, 1st gen nuclear knuclebusters. that type of first gen item will not necessarily be easy to research. Then the nuclear knuckle busters are porbably 5th gen. There are exceptions, like ICE and NTWD's, both are only 3 RC's. In general though I stand by my original statement

B)

Exactly Moonshadow, there are 1st gen Techs that are opened up with 5th gen advance which cost as much as a 6th generation technology...wohoo...wonder how long stable wormhole construction will actually take :)

:cheers:

/Locklyn