Rolling Thunder Forums

Considering playing... have a few questions

Prospective

T'Lariss,

I get your point about being defender friendly... 9x for groundbases, 3x for orbital defenses.  How can anyone ever get nasty with those kind of odds?  Seems like your opinion of one alliance would be needed to remove a single empire....  It kind of seems that having an enhanced ground combat race isn't going to get to use that advantage if the defender is adequate.  I also get your point about 2000 points being ineffective, due to the time involved to spend them.  However, relatively speaking, how much does it take to go from a tech 0 starting point, to tech 1, 2, 3, etc?  Is it a linear rate?  Or does the amount of research points spent go up exponentially?  Do all tech "trees" increase at a similar rate, or is each level 1 to level 2 increase unique?

Also, lets say I start with 2000 saved rp's.  If on turn 1, I research engines mk 1, I should know how many points it cost since my balance of SRP's will decrease appropriately, right?  Same for 2 and 3 etc.  The only point where it could become muddy is if you have 0rp's and you use more than 1RC per item researched (wow, it almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about, huh?)

Don't be so fast to count out the Ground Combat races. The only way I see to take out a strong ground combat race is to be a better Ground Combat race, or have lots more troops,or use MDD's (you should remember those from SN II). The only way to have better troops is to have better Ground combat/Close combat bonuses, or to be much better in tech. More troops means much higher production costs (this is production that could be needed for ships and such) and MDD's destroy Infrastructure, and infrastructure is just about the only thing you gain from taking over someones worlds. (other than denying it to them). :)

There is no way (as far as I know) to keep track of your SRP's There is no "SRP's remaining" tool on the turn sheet so you will have to keep track yourself and hope you guess correctly. Some folks have better Ideas on the research cost of Items than others but ultimatly you will have to guess and hope you got it right. :drunk: Some general numbers are: Basic techs cost about 3 RP's. L-1 Techs cost about 12 RP's and L-2 techs cost about 27 there are some variations on this but Unless you are talking to someone who knows, you do bot know what tech has what reserch cost. good luck

You will start out with some techs on the set-up turn and you will get an RTD for all of them. this will give you the cost to build all the various items that you can build. You will also get a list of all the techs you can currently research. You will have to make some difficult decisions on the first turn on what and how much you are going to reserach. You have heard from many about what they think you shoud research. for me Reserch should be an outgrouth of your empire and your personal playing style. Decide what you want to do and run with it. :cheers: Just remember no race can do it all so pick carefully.

Feel free to PM me if you think I can answer any specific questitions( I will answer here as well If I can)

I wish you the best of luck in the game. Let us know when you join so we can all give you a proper welcome

:rolleyes::robot::P:cheers:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic