Rolling Thunder Forums

Industrial complexes

Prospective

All,

I have a question regarding industrial complexes that is relatively basic (I think). The Installation supplement states:

"Each Industrial Complex can assemble 250 tons of materials per turn into final products. Consumes no Power."

So, let's say I have 250 tons of Iron. I can assign an Industrial Complex to produce Steel and can expect 250 tons of Steel being produced, right?

And, the same would hold true no matter what basic resource I fed to the Industrial Complex. 250 tons of 'x' basic resouce will produce 250 tons of 'y' refined resouce...

If the above is wrong, please let me know what the proper calculations are. Thanks for the help.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check your production requirements. You are correct to note that each Industrial Complex can take in 250 tons of input material. However, there is (almost) never a 1 for 1 input to output ratio. :drunk:

In your example, iron to steel, it takes 3 iron to produce a single ton of steel. So your one IC with 250 tons of iron onhand would produce 83 steel, with one iron left over. This ratio applies to most refined and complex materials, like iron to steel, light metals to transaluminum, crystals to refined crystals, refined crystals and synthetic materials to electronics, etc., etc., etc. (There are a very few exceptions to this rule.)

Most finished manufactured goods have a 5 to 1 ratio. :drunk: So it takes 5 steel to produce a single ton of standard hull armor, for example. So, 1 IC can consume 250 steel to produce 50 tons of standard hull armor. (again, there are some exceptions, but this rule too is pretty reliable.)

Finally, creating any standard (non-refined, non-complex) material from Raw Resources is done on a 10 to 1 ratio. :beer: So, 1 IC can consume 250 Raw Resources to produce 25 iron, for example.

As you probably already see, manufacturing is a mult-stage procedure, with very large tonage loss at each step, making production, by and large, a very inefficient, by necessary exercise. ESPECIALLY when one has to get most of the materials for a given project from sifting through Raw Resources.

Hope that helps explain things!

Tony Ernest

(aka Arcane Services, Inc.)

TErnest,

Where can I find this "productions requirements" you refer to?

The RTD order on your setup should tell you how to build anything you have the technology for. As you research new technologies, new items will open up and your turn results will tell you how to build it.

We suggest setting up a separate spreadsheet for installations, one for horizon techs, and one for everything else.

Ok, I looked into this further and I belive I've figured it out. Please correct me where wrong.

In SN:ROTE, there are basic resouces, such as iron, crystals, lumber, fibers, etc. There are 2 ways to obtain them.

1) Through stripmining. Each SM produces 1000 raw resources. Feed the raw resources into industrial complexes and you produce 1/10th of the input amount as a basic resource that you specify (e.g.: iron, crystals, lumber, etc).

2) Through regular mines, refineries, mills, etc. The amount that each mine produces is base off the following formula: (# of mines)*((planet yield-# of mines)/10).

Once you have amassed a number of the basic resources, you can produce processed goods. For instance, put 3 iron into an IC and out pops 1 steel (with the associated orders of course). Or, input 3 radioactive elements in an IC and out pops 1 processed radioactives (again, using suitable orders).

Sound correct?

Thanks

Ok, I looked into this further and I belive I've figured it out. Please correct me where wrong.

In SN:ROTE, there are basic resouces, such as iron, crystals, lumber, fibers, etc. There are 2 ways to obtain them.

1) Through stripmining. Each SM produces 1000 raw resources. Feed the raw resources into industrial complexes and you produce 1/10th of the input amount as a basic resource that you specify (e.g.: iron, crystals, lumber, etc).

2) Through regular mines, refineries, mills, etc. The amount that each mine produces is base off the following formula: (# of mines)*((planet yield-# of mines)/10).

Once you have amassed a number of the basic resources, you can produce processed goods. For instance, put 3 iron into an IC and out pops 1 steel (with the associated orders of course). Or, input 3 radioactive elements in an IC and out pops 1 processed radioactives (again, using suitable orders).

Sound correct?

Thanks

Sounds good to me.

Mines are the best way to get the basic resources, as converting Raw materials into iron is less efficient

:)

I might be wrong but I thought the equation for the amoutn of mine production was actually (# of mines)*(planet yield-(# of mines/10).

ali-t-akua, the equation you quoted is right- it's the equation that is used in the rules. However, there are a few different equations people use (and I can't remember which I use).

You are correct, but even then missed a bracket:

[Mined_Resources] = [#_of_mines] * ([Yield]-([#_of_mines] /10))

The point being - the increase in mining as you increase the number of mines reduces to a 'maximum' value at 5*Yield.

However, there are various ways to maximise depending on the cost of doing the building and the best number is a little less than that.....

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

or a lot less, once you have improved ICs and Stripmines

That's an interesting point!

We thought that too and it would indeed be true if one were looking at the 'cost' of building CMs for Mines vs ICMs or Imp Hvy Mach for IICs and ISMs.....

However, with the assumption that one is freeing up CMs by demolishing ICs & SMs to then take to colonies, whilst building IICs & ISMs, then the old formulas still seem to apply...

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

Chief Planner,

I believe Krelnett_of_Kraan was referring to the reduction of the maximum-number-of-mines to the last point where the increase from new mine production still exceeds production from an equal number of stripmine/industrial complexes. This point of equilibrium would change with the increased productivity of improved complexes.